IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #21 10/15/15 8:19 PM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
I totally disagree on a Winged car being easier to drive than a Non-Winged car!! A winged car, you do drive much straighter, but you are going way faster too! There is a different style to both and I love to drive both for sure! They both take skill and finesse.
The race savers aren't going faster even with the wing than a 410 NW.

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: burris7555, svfd830
IndianaRaceSaver (Offline)
  #22 10/15/15 8:31 PM
Actually, they are faster than a non wing. At Bloomington Speedway anyway. At the last race of the year, the fastest lap turned by a RaceSaver during hot laps was 10.8, and the fastest lap in a non wing 410 during hot laps was 11.2. During the feature it was even faster, with a 2 second difference (305 was faster).
Having said that, it doesn't make one better than the other. It's all preference, and what suits an individual's needs.
8 Likes: Charles Nungester, Dblchkrs, fish, Fox.53, Jonr, PIT CART, red22, sprint38racer
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #23 10/15/15 8:36 PM
Originally Posted by TQ97:
What is the age requirement for this class at Bloomington? What about other tracks?
I believe Jadon Rogers ran a bunch of these in the 66 car this year. He is like 13 years old or so. Kid is pretty impressive if I have to say so myself. Good job kid!
4 Likes: Dgentry51, fish, IndianaRaceSaver, jim goerge
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #24 10/15/15 8:39 PM
Originally Posted by captrat:
Just curious. If your premier division is non-wing, why is Race Saver a wing car? Not a criticism.
Billboard for sponsors. Some of these guys got some pretty good sponsors. i.e. Jasper Engines......Vincennes University
fish (Offline)
  #25 10/16/15 1:14 AM
Originally Posted by charles nungester:
the race savers aren't going faster even with the wing than a 410 nw.
Originally Posted by indianaracesaver:
actually, they are faster than a non wing. At bloomington speedway anyway. At the last race of the year, the fastest lap turned by a racesaver during hot laps was 10.8, and the fastest lap in a non wing 410 during hot laps was 11.2. During the feature it was even faster, with a 2 second difference (305 was faster).
Having said that, it doesn't make one better than the other. It's all preference, and what suits an individual's needs.
You mean Charles doesn't know what he's talking about? Say it isn't so.

Incite your heart to see beyond the view.
6 Likes: bigq11, jjsprt92, kylezero, MEAT, mowerman, PAW
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #26 10/16/15 1:48 AM
Chuck, the Racesaver Cars turned in the high 13s early in the night and still in the lower 14s in the feature. This is faster than a Non-Wing 410 has been there because they can keep 475 H.P. hooked up a lot more easily than we can. I was actually talking about regular 410 Winged cars when I was saying much faster though.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
stoney (Offline)
  #27 10/16/15 8:51 AM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
chuck, the racesaver cars turned in the high 13s early in the night and still in the lower 14s in the feature. This is faster than a non-wing 410 has been there because they can keep 475 h.p. Hooked up a lot more easily than we can. I was actually talking about regular 410 winged cars when i was saying much faster though.
daaa !
Bill May (Offline)
  #28 10/16/15 11:21 AM
Fish, yea, with all those posts, it had to happen eventually.

Bill May
3 Likes: bigq11, fish, mowerman
darnall (Offline)
  #29 10/16/15 2:36 PM
Originally Posted by captrat:
Just curious. If your premier division is non-wing, why is Race Saver a wing car? Not a criticism.
I think for a region like Indiana there are several reasons why it makes sense to run wings on the racesaver class....

Mainly to distinguish a real difference between this class and the premier/nonwing class to the casual fans. Nothing confuses newbies more than seeing 3 different classes of cars that all look identical...here in MO we have a track that runs 3 different classes of modifieds weekly...A mods, Sport/B mods and Midwest mods.. unless you can see the difference in a 4 inch spoiler and an 8 inch spoiler, or hear the difference between a 2 barrel and 4 barrel carb you have no idea which is which.

A wing on an entry level sprintcar class in Indiana makes the transition easier for the many many people who are coming out of the winged minisprints.

The wings allow the lap times to be plenty fast on an underpowered sprintcar. Average fans aren't going to dismiss the class as a joke because it still looks fast as hell to them. People interested in moving into the class are going to be intrigued and actually feel like it is a step up from a modified or minisprint.

As a rule I am of the opinion that any 305 sprintcar class should be wingless due the cars having half the horsepower that the tires and wings are made for. A little extra power really stands out when you have cars that are as locked down and hooked up as a winged 305 is. That being said, I still think with Indiana having such an awesome nonwing scene that it only makes sense to run wings on the racesaver cars.
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, davidm, jim goerge
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #30 10/16/15 6:15 PM
I seen the first response that corrected me. Liked the post. Tucked my tail and instead of like every other who would have edited their post. Left it.

And the rest of you, Except for Stapp who was correcting me nicely, Who've never met me by the way. only confirmed my suspicion as A holes who wouldn't talk to me in person the way you do here.

You have fun in your perfect little know it all worlds. I never said I did.

Charles Nungester
3 Likes: jim goerge, kcarm92, treecitytornado