IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAD (Offline)
  #21 4/8/15 8:02 AM
Berms do a good job keeping race cars in the right place (sometimes making even better racing), or perhaps Lime marker lines on the turns with one guy watching each turn and a yellow flag to help move offenders to the tail?

Honest Dad himself
5 Likes: Dave Thompson, luckybuc97, Mattmac05, oppweld, team3521
DRC II (Offline)
  #22 4/8/15 6:12 PM
In regards to Sandy, Lakeside didn't have any tires or anything but a tiny berm to mark the corners. We flooded the infield during the red. A berm you can't get your LF up on is usually the best. You can always knock it down if you want to run something else.
Mike Devin
2 Likes: i love dirt track racing, Sandy Lowe
DAD (Offline)
  #23 4/9/15 8:53 AM
Originally Posted by mlamb:
Removal of the tires leads me to believe they're gonna have more and more go cart races. I think this years go cart races are just a trial. I think next year they'll be a full blown go cart track. They'll get more go carts than they get in any division they currently run.
It's not about them saving you axles or race cars....it's about them making money! Hopefully I'm wrong...been wrong a lot before, it's just what I see on the horizon.
Time will tell I guess?
m

Go Karts would be a great little cash cow for the track. However Go Karts do not perform well on tracks prepped for big cars and big cars do not perform well on a track prepped for Go Karts. The Go Karts would make for a very large back gate but the front gate would something like Zero.

Go Karts by them selves on Saturday night or Sunday afternoon would probably work great.

Honest Dad himself
#1Brad Kuhn Fan (Offline)
  #24 4/9/15 11:10 AM
Coming from a guy who hit a marker tire destroying his car and body. Never sad to see mark tires leaving the race track. How ever, I think its important to have something down their. Berms may be the best idea. And if you do use tires, don't put concrete in them. Please!
2 Likes: cwfan08, throb
Joey Woods (Offline)
  #25 4/9/15 9:55 PM
Originally Posted by mlamb:
Removal of the tires leads me to believe they're gonna have more and more go cart races. I think this years go cart races are just a trial. I think next year they'll be a full blown go cart track. They'll get more go carts than they get in any division they currently run.
It's not about them saving you axles or race cars....it's about them making money! Hopefully I'm wrong...been wrong a lot before, it's just what I see on the horizon.
Time will tell I guess?
Promoting Kart money races is about like flipping houses. It looks like easy money until one does it. Very few do it well, some almost break even, most lose their arse, and the rest lose everything.

Preparing a "car track" for karts very rarely ever works out. I've been around karting for 25 years and I've only seen it done once and it was Tommy Helfrich who got as close as one can get and if u notice he has not done it since and he had a very packed house that night. Tulsa used to get 500+ kart entries every year and they finally dropped them from the "Shootout". I promise it wasn't because they weren't making money on them.

Now if Bloomington does in fact as u say want to drop the current program in order to adopt a weekly Kart program then that would be a brilliant way to eventually (after a couple years of building up the kart count) earn an astonishing extra $150.00 to $250.00 every week.

I would wager to say that the first kart race at Bloomington will be the last one u ever see there.
DAD (Offline)
  #26 4/10/15 1:26 AM
Them tires never seem to loose !!!!!! Check out the battle about 1 min 30 secs into video. That is a pretty heavy price for driving just a little too close.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=697223907067417

Honest Dad himself
TQ29m (Offline)
  #27 4/10/15 11:34 AM
We ran, may have been the only one, years ago, on a Sunday, at Bloomington, musta been the late 70's, early 80's, they had the, at that time, the US820, Westbound class, maybe another or 2, and there were several of us there with the 135cc, direct drive, open class, track was perfect, only thing was, the multi-tire packer was throwing up little balls of mud, and they flattened out when they landed, so the surface looked like the modern day rubber flooring you find everywhere. To make a short story long, at parade speed, it almost shook your teeth loose, and your eyes flicker, but at speed, it was awesome, I don't think the WestBounds ever got that fast. I don't know who set it up, Terry Cummings, or maybe Jess Kinder, but I never heard of another gathering, before, or after, till now. I might as well add this now, about the tires, they need something, but not barbed wire, just small tires, and even they can cause trouble, at Marion Cty Fair grounds a few years back, they took out the tires, and the first cars on the track afterward were chaotic, we got T-boned, coming off turn 4, by a guy that took an early turn into turn 3, and killed my car, I don't know how many times it went over, and I'm still not over it. At Columbus, with karts, we used 13" when we could find them, but there was 1 old 16" snowgrip, that I'll guarantee would put you on your neck, if you even got close to it. Then, Bill Puterbaugh, brought down a load of Indy Car tires, and we were in hog heaven, till we tried to run with them, they were so tall, we couldn't see over them, so they ended up as crash barriers, way off the track. I've had it both ways with tires, but I don't think they can safely run without something, I don't think it's safe without something, especially for the picture folks, and safety people and equipment, I dunno! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
mlamb (Offline)
  #28 4/10/15 4:51 PM
Originally Posted by Joey Woods:
Promoting Kart money races is about like flipping houses. It looks like easy money until one does it. Very few do it well, some almost break even, most lose their arse, and the rest lose everything.

Preparing a "car track" for karts very rarely ever works out. I've been around karting for 25 years and I've only seen it done once and it was Tommy Helfrich who got as close as one can get and if u notice he has not done it since and he had a very packed house that night. Tulsa used to get 500+ kart entries every year and they finally dropped them from the "Shootout". I promise it wasn't because they weren't making money on them.

Now if Bloomington does in fact as u say want to drop the current program in order to adopt a weekly Kart program then that would be a brilliant way to eventually (after a couple years of building up the kart count) earn an astonishing extra $150.00 to $250.00 every week.

I would wager to say that the first kart race at Bloomington will be the last one u ever see there.
. I never mentioned them dropping their 5 classes of racing on Friday nights. They could be a full blown kart track on Sat or Sun.
I appreciate and respect your input on kart racing.