IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAD (Offline)
  #21 10/13/14 5:14 PM
Originally Posted by dirt in ur beer:
Show of hands ! How many people here have been so drunk that they didn't know if it was 305s 360s or 410s on the track?
Dirt

I consider myself pretty savvy and if they are the only show in town that night>>>

"I CAN'T HARDLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE"
and I don't drink very often or too much

Honest Dad himself.
dirt in ur beer (Offline)
  #22 10/13/14 5:23 PM
It's easier at knoxville .
PIT CART (Offline)
  #23 10/13/14 6:16 PM
Can a track just try something new!! I personally like the idea of running 305 with wings.
4 Likes: Bill May, fish, mcweld, Russ
  #24 10/13/14 6:25 PM
I believe I addressed this subject also with a response that was heavily laced with sarcasm (unbeknownst to a few in the crowd).
Joltin Joe (Offline)
  #25 10/13/14 6:28 PM
How about the tires on the cars... What will they be?... The same as the non Wing cars so the low buck 305 guys could just get used tires from the non wing team they are pited next to? Or will it be the Wing tires that only a few Indiana races have?.....if low buck 305 guys have to start buying new tires because it's hard to get good used tires that just drives the cost up even more.

Im "Joltin" Joe Liguori and i approve this message.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, Racer12
  #26 10/13/14 6:31 PM
A bit sarcastic again on the difference between 305s 360s n 410s , but come on guys ! We r all avid fans and we r smart enough to figure out wich is which. For the novice fan, we just want them to enjoy the product enough to come back again . Right?
5 Likes: Bill May, Daboy, DAD, jim goerge, jjracer636
MKTQ17 (Offline)
  #27 10/13/14 6:43 PM
I think they have to look different!! They are people who like wings. With that in mind now Bloomington gets both fan bases on the same night. More fans and the doors stay open. I would also say that if you crash with a wing on it will absorb some of the force and maybe not tear up as much of your bolt on parts. Yes u crunch a wing however your not destroying everything else. However, either way getting upside down is not cheap!! If your not a wing fan dont bash the idea use that as an intermission to get some ice cream and enjoy the red clay on a friday night. Also MOWA put on a great show and didnt hurt the track. Inhave to admit it was nice seeing the wing cars back there

Michael Koontz
3 Likes: Bill May, Grimes87, jjracer636
Jonr (Offline)
  #28 10/13/14 7:20 PM
Every once in a while, we forget the basics of our sport. We need to continue to grow our fan base. We need the casual fans to grow our fan base. Having classes that look different is a great way to build interest. We have the same car problem with modifieds. Having three classes of modifieds is crazy. I do not know how many times I have heard the new fan say "now, how these cars different? Didn't this class just race? This makes no sense."

I also agree 100 percent that the 305s should have wings. What if the 305s bring a winged fan to the races who started to like non wing racing?
6 Likes: Bill May, ByronMack, davidm, fish, PIT CART, SWScaleChassis
Racer12 (Offline)
  #29 10/13/14 7:35 PM
You are all missing the point. Racers cost to operate! This is why I don't frequent this board often. Think about the points that have been brought up about costs. Has any single person had a valid reason to run the wings other than a fan perspective? It doesnt matter what the fans think if the racers cant afford to run the car. I think a cheaper class of Sprints is a great idea. And I would be interested in being and owner/driver. But not with a wing on it.

Bob
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, DAD, mscs20
DAD (Offline)
  #30 10/13/14 7:49 PM
Racer

You can always go to "Vintage Racing". They will let you race them even without a roll bar hoop. Those were real racers. Too bad they died so young, but what the heck the average lifespan back then wasn't but about 45 years old.

Honest Dad himself