IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
RacinFool (Offline)
  #21 1/12/14 3:40 PM
I think that would be great, And we can run the VW!! Look forward to hearing more details as things unfold.
2 Likes: jdull99, KENDALLRACING
sprintracer82 (Offline)
  #22 1/12/14 3:55 PM
Sunday afternoon. Pit gates open at 11am. Practice at 1230pm. Racing at 130. Guys from our of town could be home in time to not miss any work. Plus fans could catch Kokomo that night!
2 Likes: KENDALLRACING, WBR 3E
badcoupe (Online)
  #23 1/12/14 6:46 PM
I think if there were at least 6 or 7 dates for the tqs plenty would show I know they've struggled on pavement the last few years but mostly due to the club fiasco and not being enough pavement races to make buying tires worth it. I personally would have my tq there at all the races, I like running some pavement as a change of pace. Plus my driver loves pavement
gearguy (Offline)
  #24 1/12/14 6:57 PM
We've had great racing with low tire costs in the Illini Racing Series. The American Racer DOT legal dwarf car tires we run are good for many nights of pavement racing at less than $100 a tire. They are a set-up challenge because of the limited stagger options but it is the same problem for everyone.
I'll now sit back and take the abuse for promoting "skinny little tires" from people who can't afford to race their cars on pavement.
Watch some of our features on U-tube to see what racing looks like when the tires don't have to be babied.
3 Likes: 767, DAD, jdull99
TQ29m (Offline)
  #25 1/12/14 8:27 PM
I don't see a problem with allowing dirt tires, we ran them at the Dome, and at the Ft Wayne races, worked great, and almost everyone has them, so that leaves out that added cost! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #26 1/12/14 8:41 PM
Coke syrup is different than regular pavement. You would burn off dirt tires quick on the new pavement at the Speedrome, so my as well find some good pavement tires. JMO.
gearguy (Offline)
  #27 1/12/14 8:52 PM
We may do some pre-season testing of our IRS car at the Speedrome. If we do maybe the management will have a chance to see the AR dwarf car tires in action. Very durable tires on pavement or dirt. No noticable advantage to sticker tires. Consistant somewhat limited traction fro new until used up. Probably 3 nights use on a small track.
Chase Hightower (Offline)
  #28 1/13/14 11:31 AM
Don't recall Ted Hines ever running 6 new tires a night in the process of blowing everybody away for years... And on the high side usually! Teddy was amazing to watch there.
3 Likes: hairracer44, HinesFan, racer5c
DAD (Offline)
  #29 1/13/14 5:33 PM
1000cc midgets with wings would also be cool at the Speedrome. With wings I can envision two or three wide racing there, and not the freight train type of race that we normally see on pavement tracks. The winged sprints sure did a lot to make racing interesting at the Big Salem track.

If you had ever watched Ted in a 1/4 midget you would know why he owned Kitley. Kitley is just like an overgrown Big "Z" 1/4 midget track.

Honest Dad himself
Indy (Offline)
  #30 1/13/14 8:23 PM
1. The Speedrome was last paved when Arnold and St John ran the outlaw Corvettes. It was promoted as the same pavement mix as IMS. It was mixed with a slag from the Gary steel mills suppose to be very durable. I believe it was 1981. Early 80's anyway. 2. TQ pavemant racecs might prove to be difficult. UMRA runs pavement but draws a dozen cars at best. Midwest TQ Racing League promotes it self as a dirt only series. King of TQ racing series is more of a southern Indiana series and I'm not sure they run much pavement. Hopfully this may help in reuniting TQ's in Indiana.