IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
D.L. 122 (Offline)
  #21 5/16/13 7:48 PM
Looks the same upside down #111
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #22 5/16/13 10:59 PM
It was on the first quarter midget I drove back in the buckeye quarter midget racing association when I was a kid and had good luck with it. About 20 years later, I raced Yamaha super can karts and wasn't doing too well starting out. As a joke between my dad and I, I duct taped a "13" on it as it worked well for us before and ended up winning the event. I have stuck with it ever since....

Posted via Mobile Device
sprintracer82 (Offline)
  #23 5/16/13 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54:
Story has it Michigan Hall of Famer Wayne Landon got his number by starting out as number 88. Well it was about the same Olds came out w/ the 88. So there was a lot of 88 out there. Wayne got out the paint & made it a 83, if you ever get a chance to meet Wayne he usually has his wife nearby. Neat couple
Thanks for the story Randy! It is 100% true. When Gordy Johncock wanted to start racing my grandpa boult him his first super modified. That car was numbered 84. When my dad started racing he went with 82. The first year i started racing with Hoss I ran 38 when i drove for my grandpa. Then in 2003 I went to my dads number 82. since then I have always ran 82. Now that I have my small fab shop here at home I now have the Feather Ruffler II, my indoor car. My dads nick name and the name of his mini champ was the Feather Ruffler.

And the other thing Randy is right, grandpa follows my every move with racing, so any time you see the yellow 82 with Landon on the sun visor look him up! Living legends are becoming a rare group!

Nick Landon
kidrock (Offline)
  #24 5/16/13 11:37 PM
Neat stories guys keep them coming.
KMS2683 (Offline)
  #25 5/17/13 1:21 AM
My oldest son when he started out in karting ran 24 because he was a Gordon fan. When he moved up from karts 24 was taken so he went to 26 which is his birthday. My middle son runs 83. He liked Dale Sr. and Dale Jr. so he combined their numbers. My youngest son started with 3 for Dale Sr. in outlaw karts but when he moved to a mini sprint 3 was taken so he went with 33.
moods (Offline)
  #26 5/17/13 1:22 AM
That's me hanging on the wheel, 1969 Purdue Grand Prix. My Dad built the kart and was Race Marshall/Director that year. When we decided to give it another try last year 24x seemed appropriate.

Notice the spiffy flame retardant coveralls?

Michael
24x
JDFAST (Offline)
  #27 5/17/13 3:39 AM
When I ran 1/4 midgets and Karts, I ran 38. I thought it was because my father and I were fans of the short track champion Jimmy Insolo who drove that numbers. Many years later my mom informed me, she had told my dad to use that # for the P38 fighter plane. Go figure. I still run the #38 for Iracing (because I am still a fan of Jimmy), I think the numbers look cool, and people still remember for that number.

Fun Thread
johnnythunderhead (Offline)
  #28 5/17/13 6:41 PM
i'd always planned on numbering a car 34dd after my wife's bra size/ but she ran off with a professor and left me flat busted, so oh bother

Posted via Mobile Device
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #29 5/17/13 7:47 PM
Saw a car with "665" on it and he named it "almost evil". It was black with gold leaf numbers. Pretty sharp car

Posted via Mobile Device
Dannypollock24 (Offline)
  #30 5/17/13 10:08 PM
I had been a Jeff Gordon fan long before NASCAR and my first race car was a Kart and it happened to have 24 on it so I just stuck with it. This year will be my 10th season in Sprints, where in the heck are my 87 wins??? lol

Danny 24