IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
#1Brad Kuhn Fan (Offline)
  #21 4/25/13 9:12 AM
I like paint with bright colored vinyl that's not to extravagant.

Posted via Mobile Device
addictedtodirt (Offline)
  #22 4/25/13 11:21 AM
The Don Walker Sp. that Levi is wheeling this season is a sharp looking car. Love the gold leaf. Then again, I always liked the simplicity of the Fox Bro. #53. So it's paint for me please!
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #23 4/25/13 11:27 AM
Paint with air brushed numbers. Just finished my 1/4 midget restoration and have had a ton of compliments, especially on the air brushing, which vinyl can't quite duplicate.
5 Likes: Charles Nungester, davidm, fish, PJ Wright, racenut69
interpreter66 (Offline)
  #24 4/25/13 11:34 AM
love a hand painted car, just make sure your painter can spell or read your hand written instruction's
jim goerge (Offline)
  #25 4/26/13 3:09 PM
I remember going to a Tri State Speedway car show years ago and seein a guy by the name of Larry Wright free hand Don Taylors 66 Nova I was blown away It looked like he was just writeing so KOOL and then he did gold Leaf OMG
Flatrightrear (Offline)
  #26 4/26/13 11:01 PM
Larry Wright lived in Evansville and did a ton of cars around here years ago. I believe he passed away a while back. He was a true artist.
2 Likes: fish, jim goerge
Scooter23 (Offline)
  #27 4/28/13 1:28 AM
Kind of a loaded question... Design has everything to do with whether or not a wrap is too busy or if one can even tell from 3 feet away whether the graphics are fabricated from cut vinyl, a wrap, or paint. Hundreds of thousands of race fans watch NASCAR, IndyCar, and F1 every week; very few of those viewers have a hard time reading the sponsor names on those cars, ALL of which are wrapped panels.
Design is everything, and if you are willing to pay for the creative end moreso than trying to get it done cheap, a well thought-out wrap can set your vehicle apart from those lettered with decals produced by Mom & Pop sticker shops that come & go like flavors-of-the-week.
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #28 4/28/13 10:39 AM
Walked around the pits at Gas City and and I seen excellent examples of both. The Best Wraps weren't full wraps with tons of stuff going on but the stripeing or numbers. Some were combinations like Mean Grean and the Don Walker Special won hands down IMHO.

I guess what Im trying to point out is something like Hendricks car was the past couple of years. I could barely make out the sponsor and or the number on the car as it blended with the design, This is from the stands.

Could be just me, I seen it got a couple votes for best looking last year, Oh well............

Charles Nungester
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #29 4/28/13 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
While I do like some of the wraps, and even some of the creative paint schemes, I guess I fall into the "traditionlist" catagory, good, two color paint combinations, and hand lettered numbers and ads, unless the sponsor prefers his/her own decals, dirt racing isn't easy on paint or vinyl, so it's like AJ said, show it or race it, some can afford to do both, most of us can't, I last painted my then new chassis with 6 cans of Rustoleum Sunrise Red, available anywhere for touchup, and used prepainted aluminum for the panels and hood, total cost, about $80.00, the prepainted aluminum is great, light weight, the paint is flawless, and withstands the sanding it gets on the track, no waiting for it to dry, just fit it, peel off the protective plastic coating, and it's ready for the hand lettering, damage one, just make a new one. Bob!
Same here. My chassis is the same sunrise red from the rattle can. I went 2-tone with rustoleum wheel paint, silver and graphite, which had a lot if chip resistance already in it. I was just starting out so I thought it would be smarter to spend on safety gear and making the car run well. I like to keep it simple and only wish I had the real estate problem with too many sponsors on the car........ Lol

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
Attachments:
image.jpg (1.18 MB)

2 Likes: Charles Nungester, interpreter66