IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
VSneader2 (Offline)
  #21 6/6/12 12:06 AM
all the action was about midpack back, for a wing race I thought it was great. The track was fast tonight
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #22 6/6/12 1:07 AM
An entertaining night of racing at Kokomo Speedway this evening. I didn't see any of the regular IOW crowd there but then again with the huge crowd on hand they could of been there that I missed them. A lot of the regular crowd that sits in the area that we normally do was on hand though. A whole lot of folks that I never see there though so I guess there is a number of people who like winged sprints in Indiana.

I was talking to a couple before the races in the parking lot and she told me that they haven't been to the speedway in 15 years. She said that they live an hour north of Kokomo and for some reason just don't seem to get there. She said that she heard that they changed it somewhat and she was looking forward to the "new" speedway. I told her that they made complete changes and that the racing was much better.

After the races I asked her what she thought about it. She said that it was great and that they planned on returning on a regular basis. She said that the changes made for much better racing. I told her that the non winged sprints also put on a great show and that if they did make it back, they would not be disappointed.

Reece had the track in great shape and Sammy came out late in the qualifying session and put up a 10.950 for a new track record. The heat races were okay but the B Main was extremely good. The battle up front between Kemenah, Kody Kinser, Wheatley and Hannigan was very good. I really like Johnny Gibson and how he lets everyone know who is driving which cars and also gets the plugs in for their sponsors before any racing action. I wish more announcers could work this into their regular deal.

The feature had a rough start as it took three attempts to get a lap run. Then only one in the books and another yellow. The track held up well throughout about the half way mark. A deep and heavy cushion made it interesting for anyone tough enough to challenge it. Lapped traffic came into play and the leaders struggled to get through. A couple of chargers were Dale Blaney in the red #2 who came from 15th starting position to finish 4th and the King of the Outlaws, Steve Kinser in the TSR #11 who finished 7th after lining up 17th at the start.

The real race was afterwards as I stood in the parking lot watching the madness of a huge crowd all trying to beat the others out onto Davis Road. It would have helped things if a couple of police officers were present to help that situation along. Thankfully they did have two of Kokomo's finest at the intersection of Davis Road and Morgan Street. Nice to see a great crowd come out on a Tuesday evening with great weather to watch open wheel racing. The thunder cars also put on a good show and filled in the gaps between sprint car races. They also helped keep the track surface in great shape as well.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
9 Likes: Beer Goggles, IndyBound, Motormasher, mowerman, openwheelKT, PJ Wright, ronmil, speed bump, VSneader2
AustinSprinter (Offline)
  #23 6/6/12 1:15 AM
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55:
Hear Sammy flipped, guess he'll learn.
Just curious!!...a payback of many thats headed his way??...or he just stepped on it??......specific if you please!!....for all "Slammers' fans.....
  #24 6/6/12 1:31 AM
Originally Posted by AustinSprinter:
Just curious!!...a payback of many thats headed his way??...or he just stepped on it??......specific if you please!!....for all "Slammers' fans.....
Tight racing to start with 24 cars. I really didn't see if he had help or just smacked the wall entering turn #3. A softer roll over than the one previous of the #28 of Brian Paulus. He took a very tough ride for sure.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
miledirt (Offline)
  #25 6/6/12 6:18 AM
Heard this was an awesome show!

Posted via Mobile Device
openwheelKT (Offline)
  #26 6/6/12 8:14 AM
It was a good show IMO. There was a top and bottom to start the A. Blaney was really working the bottom and moved up a lot. So I kept an eye on him. I was hoping the bottom would stay in until the end, but it didn’t. Not as much passing as non-wing show, but I knew that going in. Kraig ran a good and race and dealt with traffic well. Pretty stout top 5 he had to keep behind him. He runs really well there and I’m glad he got the win. The show was well run and I enjoyed seeing something different, especially on a Tuesday. Kokomo has a pretty good and cool WoO history.

I have never seen so many people at Kokomo. I got there at 5:45 and had to sit in the 3rd row with a GA ticket. I’ve never had to sit that low before, the crowd was impressive. Good thing a lot of people stood in the pits, not sure where they would have put everybody. I’m really happy for the track as they had to have made some serious $. It’s funny to go to the same track I visit often and see a totally different crowd. Shows there are a ton of dirt fans in general out there. I think WoO brings out more of the causal dirt fan, somebody that might only go to a couple races a year. The WoO name means something. I also have to say, I really enjoy listening to Johnny Gibson call a show. He does a great job talking about everything without overkill. I would never pick a wing show over non-wing, but I do like WoO at Kokomo, always have.
5 Likes: AustinSprinter, Beer Goggles, Mud Packer, Tumey's 55, VSneader2
HARFprez (Offline)
  #27 6/6/12 9:18 AM
Probably not as much profit for Kokomo Speedway as you think, once they pay the "hefty" sanctioning body fee. The WOO traveling circus costs tracks a pile of money to bring to town, explaning why your normal $12. ticket cost $35. instead. Not a complaint, jmho, but i would rather go to 3 regular Sunday night shows then 1 WOO show (but then again i am a cheap*ss). Glad to see some of the locals do good, wish there had been a few more. bob.
4 Likes: AustinSprinter, Kansasdirtfan, mowerman, ronmil
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #28 6/6/12 9:21 AM
I thought the advertising for this show was very good. That likely contributed to the huge crowd and large number of casual race fans. Hope they made a ton of money and schedule another show like this next season. I would love to see them add a summer nationals or Lucas Oil late model race and bring in another variety of fans that might return on a regular basis also.

Posted via Mobile Device
REALDEAL (Offline)
  #29 6/6/12 9:55 AM
I may be wrong but i think SLS Promotions is who put on the show. O'Conners rent the track and keep concession money.....
openwheelKT (Offline)
  #30 6/6/12 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by REALDEAL:
I may be wrong but i think SLS Promotions is who put on the show. O'Conners rent the track and keep concession money.....
That was the point of view I was looking at it from. I know it costs a lot to bring in WoO. Not saying the track made their money for the year or anything like that....just think they had to have made some pretty good $ based on the crowd I saw. If not, something's wrong with the model to host WoO.