IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
Cincy Dirt Bowl (Offline)
  #21 7/14/11 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
No, the car you HAD built, was NOT the answer, you were told, how you could have that car built, and still meet the rule book, but you chose to do it another way, which wasn't by the rule book, plus, you were running it on gas, another self inflicted deviation from the rule book. A TRADITIONAL TQ, doesn't have a chain drive, a MINI-SPRINT does, traditional Sprint cars, and midgets, don't have transmissions or chain drives, why is that so hard to understand, if you want to run a TQ, abide by the rule book, if you want to run a Mini-Sprint, run it by the rule book for that type of car, not by the rules you want to make up, to suit your own situation, or desires, and BTW, who ever called you an announcer? Bob!
What I built is not the point. I said if ya want bigger car counts add 600 mini sprints. I understand more than anybody that Indiana TQs don't have transmissions or chain drives as the rule book states. I learned that rule is here to stay the hard way, but that still doesn't mean it is right or the best thing for TQs. If you had come to more races this year you would already know there are people tring again to get that set up made legal. So get ready for that can of worms to open back up. Not by me though, I want nothing to do with that mess. Like I said, been there, done that.
BTW, Chris Economaki called me an entertaining anouncer in Nat. Speed Sport News.
DAD (Offline)
  #22 7/14/11 10:44 AM
Speaking of quick change rear end do any of you ancient guys know how to get in touch with Eddie Davis his dad made the first TQ quick changes back in the 50,s. We could probably find a couple of 1000 cc mini sprints to race with you if you want.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Mr Ambrose they probably couldn't out law the driver so they just outlawed his car. You probably won too many races. I hear you were using some sort of traction control.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #23 7/14/11 11:08 AM
Dad, that wouldn't be a very equal arrangement, as we have an 836cc engine limit, on SOHC, and 700cc on twin cam, multivalve, it would be like taking a knife to a gun fight. If you're refering to Davis&Peck, I think they are both gone, along with Casale/ Cornis, they are all gone as far as I know, I know for sure Cornis is, I last talked to him, maybe early to mid 90's, and he passed not long after, I bought a lot of parts off him, almost bought his remaining stock, but relatives came into play, and thought they'd all become millionairs of what he had left them. I think Gary Schroeder took a look, as well as at the stock of Norden, but walked away. I don't have any say in who runs with us, but who knows, what the answer might be, I'd say only in conjunction with, not against each other. Acro makes a small rear end, and a lot of us run a full midget rear end. This thing could easily get out of hand, but personally, I think it is better left alone, it is about as traditional as it gets, if someone wants to invent another variation, have at it. Bob!

---------- Post added at 11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Cincy Dirt Bowl:
What I built is not the point. I said if ya want bigger car counts add 600 mini sprints. I understand more than anybody that Indiana TQs don't have transmissions or chain drives as the rule book states. I learned that rule is here to stay the hard way, but that still doesn't mean it is right or the best thing for TQs. If you had come to more races this year you would already know there are people tring again to get that set up made legal. So get ready for that can of worms to open back up. Not by me though, I want nothing to do with that mess. Like I said, been there, done that.
BTW, Chris Economaki called me an entertaining anouncer in Nat. Speed Sport News.
I always had a lot of respect, for Chris, can't believe he'd be that far off! As far as leaving the trans on the engine, and running off the crankshaft end, as the rules spell out, that's fine with me, that isn't new, it just required some changes to a current chassis, and evidently wasn't considered, worth the effort, but, you do what you see fit, but don't expect a lot of followers. Bob!

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Originally Posted by DAD:
Speaking of quick change rear end do any of you ancient guys know how to get in touch with Eddie Davis his dad made the first TQ quick changes back in the 50,s. We could probably find a couple of 1000 cc mini sprints to race with you if you want.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Mr Ambrose they probably couldn't out law the driver so they just outlawed his car. You probably won too many races. I hear you were using some sort of traction control.
DAD, I think it was more the 2-smoke engine, rather than the chain drive, because I had the last car that had had a Konig in it, and it had been converted to a QC Cornis rear end, the imprint of the Konig engine is still on the old motorplate, which I still have, and, true to common sense, no one even considered the driver in the equation, which had more to do with it than anything, he still kept spankin their asses, after they went to a Honda! Bob!:2:

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
racerjim2 (Offline)
  #24 7/14/11 11:48 AM
The quick change rear vs the chain drive is what sets apart the TQ and mini sprint. The qc rear makes a real race car while the chain is a toy race car.
Cincy Dirt Bowl (Offline)
  #25 7/14/11 11:49 AM
[/COLOR]I always had a lot of respect, for Chris, can't believe he'd be that far off! As far as leaving the trans on the engine, and running off the crankshaft end, as the rules spell out, that's fine with me, that isn't new, it just required some changes to a current chassis, and evidently wasn't considered, worth the effort, but, you do what you see fit, but don't expect a lot of followers. Bob![COLOR="Black"]

Chris can never be as far off as your TQ engine! Has your engine ever been down a straight away without missing? Message boards are fun when they get personal huh? oh wait I forgot the , they make everything ok.:2:
The funny part is out of the 2 main people who were against that set up - 1 doesn't even run anymore, car is for sale, and you Bob the other have only ran once this year
racer65 (Offline)
  #26 7/14/11 11:51 AM
This question was asked to me about Rushville fair next year, they wanted to know if it would be possible to have the Rushville Nationals back on Friday and Saturday. Not as UMRA or MTQRL but just Rushville Nationals. It could be fun, but hard to do when the groups dont want to work together, they were considering MTQRL vs UMRA with a trophy going to winning organization.
KYRON (Offline)
  #27 7/14/11 12:22 PM
everyone just cool your pipes...t.q's, upright-minisprints.sidewinders
that's the reason they are all different..so you can run what you like...i suspect some want to run together, rather than travel to their like cars..
T.Q's now have it better than ever...two clubs (20 cars each) booking races (on seperate nights), but i don't see many cross-over racers...real racers don't care what organization they run, as long as they are treated fairly, The two cross-over racers are true racers..run as much as possible (seat time makes you better)..damn the ********.
2 Likes: speidel21
racegurl68 (Offline)
  #28 7/14/11 12:27 PM
I've heard a lot of people complaining that there weren't any Rushville Nationals this year. Who is questioning about next year? The fair board? And how can it NOT be UMRA or MTQRL if they are considering an MTQRL vs UMRA?

I would rather there not be a competition between the two organizations and have them work together. The whole reason I started this thread was to see if anyone could shed new light on ideas to get them to let their differences go and be one organization again. Maybe there are no answers and no chance of reuniting, but it doesn't hurt to get ideas and see where everyone stands.
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #29 7/14/11 1:37 PM
Bob,

Your comments on Carl as announcer are completely uncalled for. Your differences of opinion on the direction TQ's should follow is one thing, but to say "BTW, who ever called you an announcer?" is inappropriate. And then you take another dig at him?

In my many years with the TQ's I have been very fortunate to work with some extremely talented & professional announcers - Tony Steele, Pat Sullivan, Chad Cunningham, & Gary Lee, to name a few. I have also worked alongside Brad Dickison, Carl Cruse, Kimb Stewart & Rob Klepper.

All of the announcers I have listed above are great announcers & any track or series would be better off by having them handle their announcing duties.

This season Carl came on board as the MTQRL announcer. The MTQRL is very fortunate to have an announcer with Carl's abilities and professionalism.

Racing is an entertainment business. You can put on the best, most competitive racing ever but without a good announcer the fans won't care.

Sandy
3 Likes: Tony Barhorst, Xflagman
thebus79h (Offline)
  #30 7/14/11 1:46 PM
Originally Posted by racerjim2:
The quick change rear vs the chain drive is what sets apart the TQ and mini sprint. The qc rear makes a real race car while the chain is a toy race car.
That is exactly the mentality killing the TQ's off. Ever wonder why there are maybe 35 to 40 TQ's that run on any given weekend in Indiana, but there are two different classes of "adult" micro sprints, and at two tracks that BOTH run Saturday nights, they will at least have a "B" Main at both places?

Both have their pros and their cons, but the fact of the matter is things aren't going to change until the drivers and owners aren't calling the shots. We've ran in the UMRA, and MTQRL this year, and years past, and both organizations have pros and cons, but the MTQRL I feel like I'm there to race more than with the UMRA, just because of so many ********. Why not open the rules up to get newer motors in the series, why not force a track to groom it to where you have two grooves of racing instead of the constant beating, banging, and gouging at Rushville.

Guess I'll put it this way, TQ's at this point in time are like the midgets and sprints of old, where mini's and micros are like the sprints and midgets of now. Micros and mini's have new parts, tons of manufacturers, and lots of places to find motors, and parts. TQ's on the other hand don't have many manufacturers making parts for them, the motors are old and not many builders. That isn't a knock on a TQ, that's fact. I've been a part of both for quite some time, and that's the differences I see.

TQ's have to come into this century with their product they are trying to produce, and when that happens, it'll start growing again. Back in 1999, when my family decided to go dirt open wheel racing, we looked at micros, and TQ's. The TQ's looked neater, but after talking with people, and learning about the engines, and where to buy parts, micros were the way to go.

Something needs to be done, that's for sure, but people have got to relax on some rules, and let things happen. A TQ with a Yamaha R1 on some converted fuel injection is a CHEAP way to go racing. You spend 3 grand on injection, and you have an engine for around 1500 bucks. What does it cost to get a TQ competitive?
Closed Thread