IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
bobO (Offline)
  #21 5/13/09 8:21 PM
CHUCK -- from the very 1st car race ever their has been have// have not,s that,s just life so that dog wont hunt i,ve been on both side,s of that coin -- i have alway,s been in favor of backup,s (IMO) people come to see us race!!!! any time after qualifing is over( i go to the back no matter the race ) imho if a car cant race their way in they dont race no matter who the team/driver is no more provisional,s if you cant race your way in SORRY about your luck !!! JMHO
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #22 5/13/09 8:44 PM
Originally Posted by bobO:
CHUCK -- from the very 1st car race ever their has been have// have not,s that,s just life so that dog wont hunt i,ve been on both side,s of that coin -- i have alway,s been in favor of backup,s (IMO) people come to see us race!!!! any time after qualifing is over( i go to the back no matter the race ) imho if a car cant race their way in they dont race no matter who the team/driver is no more provisional,s if you cant race your way in SORRY about your luck !!! JMHO
I agree, race your way in. Backup or not.

I don't think you should be able to change cars after the event has started. Blow up in the heat, You can't use the backup car in the consi. You could use its motor, but not the car unless its registered as a participant.

Charles Nungester
Motormasher (Offline)
  #23 5/13/09 11:51 PM
Sooooooo if a guy goes out in hot laps and wads up his car he can bring out another car and......... what? Hot lap it and start as scheduled or tag the tail of a heat or what? Not sure I understand what your saying here?

Myself I don't care if they bring out another car IF they trashed the 1st one, but just to "say" it had a noise in it and want to run the other one ....... then what? Gary Hayhurst used to do this at Haubstadt once in a while and we never had a problem with it. He would just scratch the 1st one and then qualify the other one and have to take that cars time.
zeroracer (Offline)
  #24 5/14/09 12:45 AM
I agree with Bills first post
Eagle14 (Offline)
  #25 5/14/09 10:16 AM
Allow them. We did this last year with MSCS running for points. We had a mag go bad in our primary, without time to get it changed out for our heat. So we got out are other car. We had no time, barely got it switched over and were behind the 8 Ball the rest of the night. Finished 2 spots out in out heat, and pulled off during the B-Main. It was a lot of work, but still we raced and did what we could.

Bills thoughts are exactly mine and exactly how it played out for us. No harm no foul.
Honest-Sam (Offline)
  #26 5/14/09 10:43 PM
If you've got it, use it (if they'll let you). If you don't, then you probably weren't gonna beat 'em anyway, had they not had problems.

From Sam, a guy who is lucky to make the show regardless, based on his team's inexperience and lack of $$$.
purvis (Offline)
  #27 5/15/09 12:06 AM
Should or should not boils down to owner/promoter/sanctioning body rules and discretion. As long as the rules are consistent for everyone no matter their haves or have nots then fine. Not really fair to give the guy who always runs up front the ability just to make the show better when the mid or back of the field guys aren't given the same opportunity. I have seen owners and promoters bust their butts to put the hot driver at the time a back up car when other guys that were not household names weren't even given a seconds worth of consideration.

To avoid appearance of favortism it needs to be spelled out who or what is qualifying for the race, the driver, the car, or the car and driver combination. The same can be said for what is being registered to race.