IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
kylecumminsfan (Offline)
  #21 9/18/10 10:43 AM
Looks like to me there are more than two good cars.
Posted via Mobile Device
duel (Offline)
  #22 9/18/10 11:29 AM
not a bad show at all for 17 cars. they all looked good. i may have to reconsider going to Eldora next Friday and head back to Gas City. no dust and the track was fast all night. scary moment with starter's stand getting hit. glad everyone was ok.
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE
  #23 9/18/10 11:32 AM
Congrats Brett
tntbusco (Offline)
  #24 9/18/10 12:18 PM
Has anyone heard the rumor about Gas City being sold?
The story I heard was not good news.
Not trying to spread anything, just hoping what I heard was wrong!!!!
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #25 9/18/10 4:56 PM
49 cars total in 4 classes is pretty bad. Late in the year car counts have normally grown because so many other tracks are done by now. That isn't the case this year.

Maybe racing sprints against Bloomington was a bad idea. I guess low car counts and fan attendance could be a product of having no specials late in the year. There's really nothing to want to race for or that would attract fans to that they haven't seen all season. In 2004 they had the All Stars come in late September and it was a fantastic show. Attica doesn't race on Fridays after football starts so I would think they would get plenty of cars and fans. 360's would work also since Lima is done at the end of August. Since the stocks and mods have had low numbers, maybe a 410 and 360 double header would bring some excitement. I guess I don't see why they would go with a regular show knowing it wouldn't be very well supported. Try something else and maybe it will be very successful.

The Gas City being sold rumor has come up every year for at least the last 5 years at the end of the season. Until you hear something concrete from Jack, Tommy, or Jiggs, I wouldn't believe it. Share what you heard and maybe some light will be shed on the subject.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #26 9/18/10 5:12 PM
I thought it was a pretty good race. A couple of the better shows I have seen this year did not have big car counts. The track was in great shape and I was on my way home at 9:06. I have no regrets going to that race.
  #27 9/18/10 5:46 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
I thought it was a pretty good race. A couple of the better shows I have seen this year did not have big car counts. The track was in great shape and I was on my way home at 9:06. I have no regrets going to that race.
From a fan's perspective the quality of racing is often still very good even with a low car count. For a promotor, a low car count and low fan attendance usually means a hit to the wallet. If there are enough of those nights, the place might not be racing for long, no matter how good the racing is (ie. Kokomo, Gas City). Quite a few people on here have said they prefer quality over quantity for cars. If you're a promotor, that just doesn't pay the bills. Not trying to argue with you, that's just why I think a lot of fans are concerned when they see these low numbers.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #28 9/18/10 7:14 PM
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan:
From a fan's perspective the quality of racing is often still very good even with a low car count. For a promotor, a low car count and low fan attendance usually means a hit to the wallet. If there are enough of those nights, the place might not be racing for long, no matter how good the racing is (ie. Kokomo, Gas City). Quite a few people on here have said they prefer quality over quantity for cars. If you're a promotor, that just doesn't pay the bills. Not trying to argue with you, that's just why I think a lot of fans are concerned when they see these low numbers.
That is OK I didn't think you were trying to argue with me. Just out of curiosity which show did you attend last night? Either one is not a real easy drive from Lafayette.
EldoraMark (Offline)
  #29 9/18/10 8:52 PM
I ended up going to Gas City. Monica called and told me they were at the track and there were 14 sprints and counting. Since Bob and Monica was there that was all it took to persuaded me to make the trip. Friendship is priceless, car count comes in 2nd.
The races were good and the night was perfect.

Mark
  #30 9/18/10 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
That is OK I didn't think you were trying to argue with me. Just out of curiosity which show did you attend last night? Either one is not a real easy drive from Lafayette.
I coach football so I haven't been able to make many races on Friday nights lately. I was happy to see the improved track surface at Gas City when I was there a few weeks ago. The racing was great, but it usually is in this area at Kokomo, Gas City, and Montpelier. And you are correct, there isn't really a good way to either B-town or GC from Lafayette.