IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > abandoned speedways
8/7/09, 3:30 PM   #21
Re: abandoned speedways
SprintManDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
This might be a good place to ask this. Has anybody heard if they are doing the reunion at Jungle Park this fall?
Pat Sullivan would know,as he has been involved in that in the past.

8/7/09, 8:26 PM   #22
faststeve

yes they are it is on sept 26 or 27 it is on a saturday . have a great time every year alot of vintage race cars and a lot of good storys

8/7/09, 10:31 PM   #23
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

is there any way i can find out more info on Cataract Speedway? Like old racing stories or pictures? Looks like a fun joint!

8/7/09, 10:53 PM   #24
SteveD

Green County Speedway: aprox 93-94: between Owensburg and Koleen Ind: ran Sunday afternoons I remember Dickie G running here: Track growed over but consession building still there last time thru aprox 2005 Also Sweet Owen raceway SR 46 west of Spencer south side of Hwy ran sundays also. Diehard Dave (Dirt Track Junkies Bud) dad ran or worked this track circa 1972 or so.
Last edited by SteveD; 9/15/09 at 8:15 AM.

8/8/09, 12:24 AM   #25
Dusty Goggles

Hey guys, Don't forget the weekend right after Jungle Park is the Winchester Old Timers weekend at Winchester Speedway. Two day event. Midgets on Saturday night and Sprint cars on Sunday with a bunch of Vintage cars on the track Sunday. Oct 3-4, 2009.

On a note about some old speedways, how about the 'Hole" in Columbus, In. Careys Ranch south of Greenfield, Indian Lake NE side of Indy, and the New Castle Speedway ( not Mt Lawn) in New Castle.
Dusty

8/8/09, 12:32 AM   #26
ByronMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Green Sounty Speedway: aprox 93-94: between Owensburg and Koleen Ind: ran Sunday afternoons I remember Dickie G running here: Track growed over but consession building still there last time thru aprox 2005 Also Sweet Owen raceway SR 46 west of Spencer south side of Hwy ran sundays also. Diehard Dave (Dirt Track Junkies Bud) dad ran or worked this track circa 1972 or so.
I was by the Green Cnty speedway last November. The concesion stand, a lot of the light poles, and I thing part of the stands are still there. I didn't even know about it before then, did they run sprints there? I just figured it was a go cart track or something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

8/8/09, 8:20 AM   #27
old time Hoosier

Dusty Goggles,was the Indian Lake track you mentioned the one that was east of Indianapolis on hwy 40, or the old National Road? The track was located on the south side of the hwy and I think it ran midgets in the immediate post-war years of 1946-1947. Do you have any information on the old Hoosier Motor Speedway that was located 'somewhere' on south Meridan Street in Indianapolis. In his book 'Gentleman Start Your Engines' Wilbur Shaw mentions this place.

8/8/09, 8:51 AM   #28
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Goggles View Post
Hey guys, Don't forget the weekend right after Jungle Park is the Winchester Old Timers weekend at Winchester Speedway. Two day event. Midgets on Saturday night and Sprint cars on Sunday with a bunch of Vintage cars on the track Sunday. Oct 3-4, 2009.

On a note about some old speedways, how about the 'Hole" in Columbus, In. Careys Ranch south of Greenfield, Indian Lake NE side of Indy, and the New Castle Speedway ( not Mt Lawn) in New Castle.
Dusty
Dusty Goggles, I been tryin to get Butch to come up with the official name for the track, along Clifty Creek, at Columbus. It was called a lot of things, some not so nice, but I think the "official name" was Columbus Speedway, I know that sounds a "little" on the upside, but a lot of folks remember it as "the hole", and "the pit", which seems to fit better, but there were some good races held there. I raced there in the mid to late 50's, then sometime in the early 60's, we had a Kart race there. I was back there in the early 80's, the hillside is so grown over with briars, it's almost impossible to get down the hill, but the layout was still visible. Bob

8/8/09, 9:27 AM   #29
24midgets

16th street speedway
Posted via Mobile Device

8/8/09, 9:42 AM   #30
SUPERDUKE
Banned

How bout richmond ft wayne 5/8 south anthony sweet owen muncie i/4 playland park

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > abandoned speedways