IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Story on Speed
3/16/09, 6:20 PM   #21
Re: Gold Crown Story on Speed
sc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch View Post
i`ll ry to keep this simple...... #1 how many of the gold gen cars still exist??
#2 will any new gold gen cars be built to the same rules that the 1st group were??
keeping in mind any slight changes in the rules may obsolete the first group of cars

any answers??...................:cheers
# 1 I do beleave there are 23 cars that are complete and another 5-7 cars that can be ready in pretty short order. # 2 I do beleave any new cars will be built to the same rules as the 1st set of cars. The changes that are being made are to the bodies and some gearing

3/16/09, 7:24 PM   #22
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Here are some thoughts:

1. If you are a fan - then don't go to the GC races if you you don't like it.

2. If you are a driver - then don't drive the GC cars if you you don't like it.

3. If you are an owner - then don't get a GC car if you you don't like it.

4. If you are a mechanic - then don't work on GC cars if you you don't like it.

I am a fan. I assure you that I will be in the stands when they race.
Finding a seat should be really easy if you consider how many empty ones there were the last time these cars where put on the track.

3/16/09, 8:34 PM   #23
sc96

Very good show tonight with D.O:respect::respect:

3/16/09, 11:17 PM   #24
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96
#1 - I do believe that there are 23 cars complete and another 5-7 cars that can be ready in pretty short order.
The average starting field in the inaugural year 2006 for the New Generation Pavement Car was about 13 to 14 cars. A definite increase was realized in 2007 with an average of about 16 to 17 and with the largest field at 21.

Rodney's approximation that there may be 23 cars in existence may be correct.
But we're talking about the 2006-2007 model New Generation Silver Crown cars that with a new body becomes a 2010 USAC Gold Crown car. So let's say we've got 23 cars retrofitted for the new series. Rodney mentions another 5 to 7 that may be available and I'm assuming these are from more parts and pieces remaining from the '06-'07 model year run. To say "in pretty short order" lends evidence to think that , as there has yet to be any new construction begun by any of the newly named constructors. So maybe counting everything , we've got 30 cars.

You wouldn't think that there would be any need for new constructors for new 2010 models with a possible 28 to 30 former cars already available. Are companies like Riley Technologies and Devin Race Cars really needed to hang new bodies on old cars ? And new companies like Ashmore Design and Rock Chassis are certainly in this to build the complete new car , yes ? How much business can there possibly be when you've already got 23 to 30 cars that only require a new body to eliminate the ugly factor that so many believed was a large part of the New Gen SC failure ?

It would be a stretch to imagine that upwards of 30 cars will be insufficient to satisfy the immediate needs of the 2010 USAC Gold Crown Series. Where are so many new owners coming from ? Are we all of a sudden going to see 40 car starting fields ?
Something doesn't add up here is my thought.

At any rate , when all is said and done , whether old model or new , under that 2010 sleek new body is the same chassis , engine , drive line as you had in '06-'07.

These were pavement cars designed for oval tracks up to a mile and a half. The 2010 series will depart from that format with the addition of some road course events.
But there are no chassis - suspension - steering changes seen necessary for that accommodation. Hard to believe. Aaron Pierce road tested the car at Putnam Park last October and basically had no complaints about how well this car would adapt to road courses. Solid front axle and all the rest , OK. Again , hard to believe. The car has got to be a dog in a chicane.

I like the Gold Crown concept.
As a premiere USAC division and as a destination to aspire to , all good.

I'm not sure that just a new "look" and "name" will cure all ills of the past failure.

A business plan including assumed car count , attendance , schedule , purse , promotion , among other things should be a concern to those preparing to take this plunge once again.

:rolleyes:
Last edited by pgray; 3/16/09 at 11:27 PM.

3/17/09, 8:16 AM   #25
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
Finding a seat should be really easy if you consider how many empty ones there were the last time these cars where put on the track.
I guess since you were there at that last race, then you know how many people were there? The last new gen SC race I went to had an announced attendance of 8,600 fans.

Will I see you at the GC races in 2011? No? It's just like voting for president. If you didn't vote, then don't complain.

3/17/09, 1:50 PM   #26
Long time fan

Being a long time fan of U.S.A.C. and open wheel racing in general I was excited by the news. However some things still have me wanting more improvments to the series.
It is my hope that in my lifetime I will still see a front engine open wheel car running on a super speedway. The rear engine car opened a door to the euro or Brazilian driver and it keeps pushing top open wheel guys to NASCAR. Why cant this series be a "destination" series like it should be?
I am not a fan of the cookie cutter mile and a half track. I understand that the car will only be able to run where it is wanted. So is there a chance it wont be all at the "same" venue so to speak?
The car is just plain ugly! Will it be changed at all? I read on here some where about a "roadster" or "off set" look to the car. That would be both aerodynamical and appealing to the eye.
Lastly. Television! Will this series have a chance without exposure? Where would some of the NASCAR stars be today without the "Thunder" series on ESPN?
I am excited to see this happen. Imagine if you will a day where the cars line up and all of Detroit's engine companies are represented with a factory car and an American driver and the race is ACTUALLY broadcast on live television. This series could do what the IRL should have done and bring back a top series to open wheeled FRONT engine cars.
Thank you for the time. Now bring on the ridicule. hahaha

3/17/09, 3:03 PM   #27
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long time fan View Post
Being a long time fan of U.S.A.C. and open wheel racing in general I was excited by the news. However some things still have me wanting more improvments to the series.
It is my hope that in my lifetime I will still see a front engine open wheel car running on a super speedway. The rear engine car opened a door to the euro or Brazilian driver and it keeps pushing top open wheel guys to NASCAR. Why cant this series be a "destination" series like it should be?
I am not a fan of the cookie cutter mile and a half track. I understand that the car will only be able to run where it is wanted. So is there a chance it wont be all at the "same" venue so to speak?
The car is just plain ugly! Will it be changed at all? I read on here some where about a "roadster" or "off set" look to the car. That would be both aerodynamical and appealing to the eye.
Lastly. Television! Will this series have a chance without exposure? Where would some of the NASCAR stars be today without the "Thunder" series on ESPN?
I am excited to see this happen. Imagine if you will a day where the cars line up and all of Detroit's engine companies are represented with a factory car and an American driver and the race is ACTUALLY broadcast on live television. This series could do what the IRL should have done and bring back a top series to open wheeled FRONT engine cars.
Thank you for the time. Now bring on the ridicule. hahaha
Welcome Long Time Fan to IOW , the home of fair and balanced posting ! Certainly no ridicule to be found here !

I don't think that you will see a front-engined open wheel car running on a super speedway ( as "super" relates to banked tracks of two miles or more ). The former New Generation Silver Crown car , to become Gold Crown , was designed for tracks of up to a mile and a half.

In 2006 at Homestead-Miami Speedway , at a mile and a half , Aaron Pierce qualified at 30.855 , nearly 180 miles per hour , and winner Brian Tyler averaged 131.602 mph over the 100 mile race distance. Compared to the Homestead track record of 29.816 / 181.111 set by Jamie McMurray in NASCAR Sprint Cup qualifying and you can see that these cars are plenty fast.

I am sure that you will see the Gold Crown as a companion series to some NASCAR and IRL races. Look for GC at Homestead , Phoenix , Kentucky , Richmond , Milwaukee , Kansas and Iowa ... plus a couple of road courses.

The series could very well become a "destination" for USAC drivers moving up from Midgets , Sprints and Silver Crown. This is their intended goal. Further , there is hope that this will be a ladder series to the Firestone Indy Lights and the IRL. That is debatable as the Indy Lights is quickly becoming another step for those European drivers that you speak of.

The car should not be ugly ... that's what this body change is all about ... to correct the ugly factor ! Don't count on TV. With the IRL kicked down to the Versus channel , open wheel obviously has a long climb back !

:rolleyes:

:help:

3/17/09, 3:07 PM   #28
D.O.

Lots of Nay Slayers about the series but the people that are invested into this series believe in it. Their post are postive about the future.
Will it happen??? I hope so.
They have enough cars to race in the past so they have enough to get started.

The new car looks better and they are working on a game plan to make it happen.

So good luck and we will have Bruce and other back on the show in the future.

:cheers

3/17/09, 7:22 PM   #29
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I guess since you were there at that last race, then you know how many people were there? The last new gen SC race I went to had an announced attendance of 8,600 fans.

Will I see you at the GC races in 2011? No? It's just like voting for president. If you didn't vote, then don't complain.
Oh really. You already know exactly what I am going to do and when I am going to do it? WOW, you should go into the world of being a psychic. Maybe that could help make that car count in the Gold Crown go up with the money you will make being a psychic. SO since I gave you that little funding offer for your team could I get a free reading? If so then let me have the lotto number for Wednesday night or maybe the Mega Millions numbers for Friday?

3/17/09, 9:12 PM   #30
sc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post
Welcome Long Time Fan to IOW , the home of fair and balanced posting ! Certainly no ridicule to be found here !

I don't think that you will see a front-engined open wheel car running on a super speedway ( as "super" relates to banked tracks of two miles or more ). The former New Generation Silver Crown car , to become Gold Crown , was designed for tracks of up to a mile and a half.

In 2006 at Homestead-Miami Speedway , at a mile and a half , Aaron Pierce qualified at 30.855 , nearly 180 miles per hour , and winner Brian Tyler averaged 131.602 mph over the 100 mile race distance. Compared to the Homestead track record of 29.816 / 181.111 set by Jamie McMurray in NASCAR Sprint Cup qualifying and you can see that these cars are plenty fast

:help:
Well the truth is the Gold Crown car was built to run on 1.5 mile tracks and larger 2 mile and 2.5 mile tracks are on the radar. But on a track of that size you will need 30 plus cars and those tracks will require us to be an established series so those places are within our reach but it will take some time.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Story on Speed