Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Christopher Bell
10/25/17, 12:33 PM   #21
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I'm pretty sure Kyle ran a lot more non-wing than wing sprints coming up, although he started in Winged Outlaw Karts. And you're right, he won 3 out of 4 in the 4-Crown his first ever trip to Eldora; I don't think he even realized Hewitt had swept the 4-Crown until after he was done, if I recall he was being interviewed and said something like "Shoot, I wish I had tried to get a Modified ride"...
On the other hand I think C Bell has more seat time in wing Sprints than non, but has a ton of experience in the Midgets, of course. He's only done one or two Silver Crown shows too, which is where they say these guys get the most direct experience that transfers to fender racing, so a lot of his success seems to be just sheer talent.
Did they run modifieds Saturday night the year Larson won the three? For some reason I was thinking it was just USAC that year? I did find the interview quote that you referenced where Larson said the bit about a modified, but then I found the 2011 Eldora schedule, and the modifieds weren't listed on Saturday or even Friday with the Outlaws. Sorry for my ignorance, but like I said, I wasn't paying close attention to sprint cars at the time. High school had me worrying about much more trivial concerns lol.

10/25/17, 12:36 PM   #22
GYATK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
One of Christopher Bell's few Silver Crown starts was driving the #99 RPM/Gormly car at Eldora in the 2014 Four Crown Nationals at Eldora. That was the team car to the eventual winning car, the #98 driven by JCJ. Bell followed Jack Hewitt for the first 15 laps of the SC finale' until Jack dropped out with a bad vibration in the driveline. Something failed on the #99 car about 10 laps later and that was that. He ended up being shown as 14th, I think.
Then Bell went out and won the silver crown and midget races at four crown the next year, believe he was in that 99 again for the silver crown race too. The guy is crazy talented.

10/25/17, 12:59 PM   #23
Re: Christopher Bell
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
Did they run modifieds Saturday night the year Larson won the three? For some reason I was thinking it was just USAC that year? I did find the interview quote that you referenced where Larson said the bit about a modified, but then I found the 2011 Eldora schedule, and the modifieds weren't listed on Saturday or even Friday with the Outlaws.
It was just the 3 USAC National divisions in 2011. No modified's were involved that year.

Quote:
Then Bell went out and won the silver crown and midget races at four crown the next year, believe he was in that 99 again for the silver crown race too. The guy is crazy talented.
Yep, he sure did, and he sure is.

What I believe to be the best midget race I have ever seen was at Mighty Macon Speedway last July 1st. Christopher Bell put on an epic instant classic for the ages. Bell made moves that night that defy the logical depths of the imagination and even some laws of physics. He turned right around and put on nearly as incredible show at Lincoln, IL speedway the very next night. There was a huge crowd at Lincoln that night since the UMP Summernationals late models were racing that night, as well. I saw some hard core mud taxi fans looking at each other and shaking their heads in disbelief.
Last edited by ISF; 10/25/17 at 1:00 PM.

10/25/17, 1:16 PM   #24
GYATK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
It was just the 3 USAC National divisions in 2011. No modified's were involved that year.

Yep, he sure did, and he sure is.

What I believe to be the best midget race I have ever seen was at Mighty Macon Speedway last July 1st. Christopher Bell put on an epic instant classic for the ages. Bell made moves that night that defy the logical depths of the imagination and even some laws of physics. He turned right around and put on nearly as incredible show at Lincoln, IL speedway the very next night. There was a huge crowd at Lincoln that night since the UMP Summernationals late models were racing that night, as well. I saw some hard core mud taxi fans looking at each other and shaking their heads in disbelief.
Thanks for the clarification on the 2011 four crown. I thought I had that right.

And Macon is at the top of my list of tracks I'm yet to visit but want to soon! I've watched highlights of midget races over there and been stunned every time. Definitely looks like you're guaranteed breathtaking racing every night.

I'm almost certain we'll be talking about Bell as one of the top competitors in NASCAR in the next few years if he continues the path he's on. Like him or not, Kyle Busch is immensely talented, and with Bell driving for him and being in the JGR path, I see no reason for Bell to not be competing for wins in the Cup series. He's got the talent and one hell of a mentor in Kyle, just needs a seat to open up.

1 member likes this post: Kydehart
10/25/17, 1:42 PM   #25
ISF

Quote:
Like him or not, Kyle Busch is immensely talented, and one hell of a mentor, just needs a seat to open up.
I just hope all that hellacious mentoring of Bell doesn't include advising him to pick a big ol' booger out of his nose, flip it, then drop the mike and walk out of a press conference every time something doesn't go the way he thinks it should! That definitely takes some talent.......or something. lol

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, Pat O'Connor Fan, racenut69
10/25/17, 1:54 PM   #26
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Did they run modifieds Saturday night the year Larson won the three? For some reason I was thinking it was just USAC that year? I did find the interview quote that you referenced where Larson said the bit about a modified, but then I found the 2011 Eldora schedule, and the modifieds weren't listed on Saturday or even Friday with the Outlaws. Sorry for my ignorance, but like I said, I wasn't paying close attention to sprint cars at the time. High school had me worrying about much more trivial concerns lol.
Maybe he said he wished that the Mods were on the card that year so he would have had a shot at it; in either case he was genuinely disappointed not to be able to give it a go.
He was equally bummed that he couldn't run all 3 USAC classes the next year after he won the Midget feature, crossing the line with a blown engine, then took that scary ride in the Hoffman 69 and got his bell rung. The Kid just wants to race, and CB has that same drive...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

10/25/17, 4:11 PM   #27
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
WoO Sprints and Mods ran on Firday night and WoO was officially the 4th crown. Kyle quipped that he wished the mods or something were on the card so he could go jump in one and try for what Jack did.

2 members like this post: jjones752, Kydehart
10/25/17, 7:55 PM   #28
TKRacing

I watched Bell win (basically put on a clinic) at Brownstown back in 11 or 12 in the KKM sprint in what I believe was his first non wing start. It was pretty awesome to watch as a I believe he came from the back.

3 members like this post: FishBurger, JordanBlanton, smith19
10/25/17, 8:28 PM   #29
dsc1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I'm pretty sure Kyle ran a lot more non-wing than wing sprints coming up, although he started in Winged Outlaw Karts. And you're right, he won 3 out of 4 in the 4-Crown his first ever trip to Eldora; I don't think he even realized Hewitt had swept the 4-Crown until after he was done, if I recall he was being interviewed and said something like "Shoot, I wish I had tried to get a Modified ride"...
On the other hand I think C Bell has more seat time in wing Sprints than non, but has a ton of experience in the Midgets, of course. He's only done one or two Silver Crown shows too, which is where they say these guys get the most direct experience that transfers to fender racing, so a lot of his success seems to be just sheer talent.
Larson came from Winged sprints. I believe he was running top 5 at oskaloosa one year and it was it 6th non-winged Race. Then he destroyed the field there in subsequent years in the Hoffman 69.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
10/25/17, 9:09 PM   #30
bigq11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKRacing View Post
I watched Bell win (basically put on a clinic) at Brownstown back in 11 or 12 in the KKM sprint in what I believe was his first non wing start. It was pretty awesome to watch as a I believe he came from the back.
It definitely was his first start in a non wing sprint. Maybe his first start in sprint ever. Lawrenceburg had their practice that afternoon and KKM and Bell were there. After the practice they came to the NO WAY OUT 40. He stayed glued to the bottom and passed I think Brady Short very late in the race for the win.

3 members like this post: FishBurger, i love dirt track racing, Kydehart
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Christopher Bell