IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite TQ memory
2/9/09, 9:38 PM   #21
Re: Favorite TQ memory
psullivan

I have many from my time as an announcer with UMARA and still have vivid memories of my first race at Rushville. Jason Knoke winning at Columbus and then holding off Terry Goff at Rushville and Terry reaching out to shake his hand. Announcing on a flatbed at Madison with a 100 year old microphone with storms everywhere. Working with a guest announcer who came down with me to Martinsville and people yelling and screaming at us because there was a delay getting started - my assistant was Tony Stewart. Nearly every race I ever attended or worked at Osgood - and enjoyed watching Tate Martz win for the first time there while Chad announced. I mostly think about all the neat people I have met over the years - some that are no longer with us.

2/9/09, 10:09 PM   #22
24midgets

I guess my favorite memory would be my first heat race win. It was at twincitys speedway. The UMRA got rained out saterday and raced on sunday. IT was midafternoon super dry slick. I got the luck of the draw started up front. I pulled out to lead started counting laps. About lap 4 i get nervious I could not here any cars. I was driving so slow i knew they were going to run over me. Coming to the white flag going into turn 3 i hit the brake so hard the motor shut off. After the race was told i was half a straitway head of the other racers.

My next had to be at danville Il. We having some problems with the car staing in gear. I slowed down about to pull off .Than I put my foot on the inout box to hold in gear. Tate Martz past me I got the gas an followed him through the field ,right on his tail .I think he lap up to 5th place. I got stuck behind two cars. and finshed 12th .But it was a great feeling to run just as fast as the winner of the race. but bummer I get to pay out they stoped scoring just as i got laped. so I did not get credit for that finish .still alsome run.

The best all the friendships I have made in racing thanks to all for this.

chris mann

2/9/09, 11:46 PM   #23
Jimmydiesel

Pine Brook N.J., late mid 70's. Went with Tommy White with #18 Crosley powered roadster.

2/10/09, 8:36 AM   #24
Knoke77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
I guess some of the best, were the "Express Runs" to Oak Ridge, Tn, to Atomic Speedway. I don't know why we even bothered to rent a Motel room, by the time we got ck'd in, it was time to get to the track, and by the time we got back, it was time to leave, but the trip down and back, was more fun than the racing anyway, kinda like "Cannonball Run", or the "Great American Race", and "GumBall Rally", all rolled into one. Reminded me sometimes of a Road Course race, with Trailers! Atomic was a one of a kind place, we're probably all contaminted, just from going there. It's gone now, so I hear, no more high, high bank, with the built in watering from the top down, and 8 year olds, with a can of beer in one hand,and a steering wheel in the other, hot lapping the old mans stocker! Bob
Now Bob those were some fun times!

The Seymour TQ train consisting of us, you, the Brewers, Mellencamps and Coers family all hauling butt to Tennessee. It was the funniest thing watching the stock cars packing the track. Along with the driver was usually the wife, kids, grandparents, pit crew and family dog in the car making laps around the track. Then walking through the pits and seeing them selling beer in the pit concession stand. I think it was there that I ever saw my first on track fight. During the road hog class race two cars crashed with one not being able to keep going. That driver got out of his car and stood on his hood waiting for the other driver to come back around. He then threw his helmet at the other driver who stopped and got out and chased the other guy down. While this was going on another wreck was trying to get cleaned up and the wrecker driver and crew of the car got into a fight. Only in the south.......

Mr. Sullivan, I truly miss the days of you announcing for the UMRA. The way you interacted with the drivers and their crews and then relayed that information back to the fans was just as beneficial to the popularity of the sport as the racing that took place. I'm lucky that I have tapes of 99% of my TQ races and can relive those moments with your voice and knowledge in the background. :respect:

2/10/09, 11:24 AM   #25
Re: Favorite TQ Memories...
Shawn

I have many memories of TQ Midget Racing throughout my days. Since I was little, I have always loved checking out the cars. Always paying attention to the numbers and paint schemes. I even learned how to count at "the races". As I got older, I starting looking at the designs of the cars and how they were built, too. It was a way to identify a driver, or car for a kid like me. Those were the days, let me tell you.

Fast forward to my first memory. I always attended church every Sunday Morning, but in the summer, it was special. Why? Well, when the TQ’s were in town, we would have a visitor from the left coast. He was a super nice man, with a very nice wife as well. He was a racer and would always have his camper with trailer and car in tow. I would always go outside after service and check out his car. It was always fun and I enjoyed it every time I looked at the Valvoline #41. The driver was Friday Shackleford.

Another memory that stands out was after a race was completed. I didn’t know the kid that has just won his first race. However, I did know that since the race was over, it was time to head to the pits. I this night, I took an alternate route to the pit area. I darted down the front stretch, in front of the stands. This is when I stumbled past the kid that won the feature. He was doing an interview with the local radio station. I kind of froze and listened to this kid do his interview. He was standing there in his blue and white uniform with orange/yellow stripe. He had braces that were very noticeable with the big smile that was on his face. I remember looking at the name and making a note to hit up his pit area later. Of course, I went down the Barker pit area to get an autograph. The maroon #81 Overhead Door machine was just another step in this kids talented career. The name on the uniform, of course, was Tony Stewart.

More recently, I remember the excitement of being on a race team that won for the first time. After that, the second win was almost as sweet, but you just can’t replace that first win. Those wins were just a glimpse of all of the good times that we had. Grabbing some lunch on Saturday, then getting the car ready to go for that night. Going to the races, telling stories to and from, then getting home really late. Usually not before a Steak 'N' Shake run to end the night. We were chasing points and it all paid off with a fourth place. It wasn’t just the wins, finishing top-four in points, but it was the stories and time on the road. It’s sad that it all changed, but I took on other priorities, like a family, but it’s something that I’ll always be glad that I had a chance to do. So, thank you, Mr. Nigh!

These are just a few of my memories of TQ Midget Racing, but there are a lot more where those came from. Good times…

2/10/09, 2:30 PM   #26
Re: Favorite TQ Memories...
TQ29m

Shawn, ole Friday was one of a kind, and his wife was one, very understanding lady. I don't know many women, that would share her RV, and kitchen, with a TQ midget, but she did. Been many years since I last saw them, then talked to Friday once or twice on the phone. Last time he was here, I believe he told me they were headed back West, and he was anxious to see his son's new boat, it was dang near a drag boat, but he and his wife wanted to see how much fun it would be, to water ski behind it. Another moment I recall, was one night at Rushville, I got to share the limelight with Tony, that night he won the feature, and I won the trophy dash, don't get much better than that! Bob

2/10/09, 4:53 PM   #27
midmad68

just wondering...has this car popped up anywhere in indiana? it was stollen in southern california over a year ago. my dad built this car and had a ton of success with it over the past decade. after it was sold, the owner had is stolen out of his storage unit.

2/11/09, 12:02 AM   #28
Bruce Harrison

My favorite memory of UMRA was going to the annual race at the Knox Co. fair in Bicknell. Seeing the "local" dirvers (Noble Hanger of Oaktown, where I lived, and Sam Brand of Bicknell) race against Rick Meyer, Dick Dwenger, and the other "names" of UMRA. Saw a young driver who at the time used his given name-Duane Carter Jr.-run some of his 1st Midwest races. The last race I attended there was won by a regular visitor here-Butch Wilkerson.:checkered:

2/11/09, 8:49 AM   #29
bigmojo5

My first UMRA race was at the Knox County Fair in Bicknell, Ind., in 1973, won by none other than Butch Wilkerson. Being originally from Oaktown also, I watched the Hanger boys -- Noble driving and David wrenching. I remember them announcing over the loudspeaker that Duane Carter Jr., was attending, but not certain if he raced that day. By then he was running USAC. His brother, Dana, might have been.

One of my most vivid memories of that night was watching a car flip down the front straight after running over a wheel. A tall lanky fellow seated not far from me in the stands watched for a few mintues, became upset about the people gathered around the car because of the danger of fire and screamed "My God, this is going to be another Indianapolis." He then jumped up from his seat, ran down the bleachers and through the entryway onto the track and had to be restrained from going to the scene.

I believe the driver's last name was Shannon from the Dayton, Ohio, area and that he never raced again. It was another 10 years before racing returneod to the Knox County Fairgorunds.

Butch. Am I right?
Jim Morrison

2/11/09, 9:58 AM   #30
TQ29m

Jim, I gotta add another one, how about your first ride in a TQ, wasn't that at Greensburg? Wherever it was, I didn't think anyone could smile that much, and sweat so much at the same time! That had a lot of deep emotion in it! Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite TQ memory