IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smoke will rise from the #69
1/18/17, 11:56 PM   #21
Re: Smoke will rise from the #69
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Dave View Post
Thanks for answering a few unknowns I was curious about. As far as testing the Hoffmans and Kody Swandon spent a full day testing at the track a few weeks prior to the event. I'm sure that will happen again. It would be the smart thing to do to get him some more seat time.
Considering Smoke is running 80-90 races. Don't know if they're is time, Usually a track rental involves several teams to split the cost up a bit. The Tire bill for the Little 500 would be well more than 2g for everyone that wants to have a legitimate shot.
They said last year there were a couple cars they felt had a significant edge on them as far as speed. One dropped out with some problem and Kody caught the other and passed him in some traffic situation that presented itself and never looked back.

I always thought Smoke in Sprints and Midgets was better on Pavement anyway. Kinda like Gordon was. Yet he held his own on the dirt and won here and there. He's very adeptive. I think the last three times I seen him race, he won. FT. Wayne, A 360 race at Eldora and a indoor dirt show at Duqoin swapping sliders with BC. He getes a few practice sessions in on practice day. He'll be close

2 members like this post: jim goerge, racer-x
1/19/17, 12:16 AM   #22
Racerrob

No "special tires" as everyone has to buy their tires from the Hoosier truck at the track during Little 500 week. These tires are stamped by Anderson Speedway and I will be choosing my tires from the same lot as everyone else.

Yes we are planning one day of testing. We have run this car twice since 2010. Testing helps knock the rust off the crew chief just as much as the driver. We had one day of testing with Clauson and Swanson and nobody said a thing about it then.

I don't know at this point who will be changing tires this year. We lost our left rear man from last year but I plan on changing the right rear and I hope to have the right front man back again. I confirmed the same fueler as last year tonight. The spotter will be the same as last year as well. Other than the driver I don't see anyone from a NASCAR team being involved.

Lastly, just to be clear, Smoke neither offered us any money to drive nor did we ask for him to do so. He is bringing his talent and we are bringing ours and hopefully we can help check this race off his bucket race just as I was able to do so last year.

Hope this helps to put some of your fears to rest. BTW this will be my last race win or lose as I really need to devote time to the bank that I run.

1/19/17, 12:36 AM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Thanks Rob. Don't get anymore straight answers than that.

1/19/17, 8:33 AM   #24
chop

The last year Tony ran short tracks, the year of the New York accident. Tony ran 2 SOD races. He showed up just as a racer. He won one race and finished 2nd or 3rd or the other. It was not like he crushed the local racers. He is an older guy just having fun in his retirement.
What I would worry about is him getting hurt. Nascar driver Jonny Benson is a local racer. At the end of his Nascar career he was racing east coast super mods. He had a real bad crash at Berlin and for the most part that was the end of his racing.
I do not care what tracks, events, types of cars he races. Just hope he has fun and is safe.

1/19/17, 8:53 AM   #25
ossuks

This Tony Stewart guy has been best friends with Hoosier people for years. They grew up together, so them sponsoring Tony dates back to the beginning.

This years race will be no different than any other..there will be about 5 favorite....5 maybe winners....5 long shots! I would say Booby Santos is the favorite at 7/2 and Tony is co -3rd choice at 5-1. There is no out spending the field advantage at this race (as always the best equipment has the best chance).

What should make everyone happy is the real winner here is the fans and Rick Dawson. Tony adds to the interest level. If he wins many will cheer, if he drops out many will cheer, but the key word is "many". Anderson Speedway sits in a community that has suffered a huge economic loss, thus, Anderson Speedway has struggled. Maybe The last 2000 seats get sold , maybe the pit pass sells increase, maybe a few more sponsor jump on board, and maybe this is the difference in Anderson Speedway staying open!
Last edited by ossuks; 1/19/17 at 8:54 AM.

1/19/17, 10:22 AM   #26
trannyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Dave View Post
It's great that he has plans on running this event and it gets me excited! Longbterm it could escalate the cost to be competitive in this race though.
Yes,it definitely will raise the costs.it'll already happened in one series.the superstars running local is a monetary boost,but it's only short term. what they leave behind,the local racers have to deal with.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/19/17, 11:28 AM   #27
racer-x

I just ordered 2 tickets in section g-13 seat 1@2. Always said I was gonna go see a little 500 and no excuses this year.

The Hoffman car is without a doubt the baddest looking sprint car in my opinion!

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
1/19/17, 12:20 PM   #28
Chase Hightower

I don't get how there is ANY negative effect. I'm canceling my annual motorcycle tripto D.C. on Memorial Day weekend to be there! 1 day of practice and hasn't been in a asphalt car in years and everybody's up in arms about unfair advantages? I'm confused, stoopid, or both I guess. It's a win-win for everybody, city, promoters, fans, other competitors. Now if Bentley Warren and Eric Gordon would come out of retirement!

1/19/17, 5:46 PM   #29
ThePurple73

I think its great news and I am going to have to attend this year.
I hope I have to stand because the racing will be 2-3 abreast at times.

I remember Tony running on pavement in a silver crown car at Indy Raceway Park, it was a red #14 or 41 I think. Seemed he lapped the field 20 times, well maybe not that many, but he was really on it and won.

It adds a new element a new twist that will draw to the race.

1/19/17, 6:51 PM   #30
kinser

I can tell you from experience that if anyone thinks that this race is easy to win you couldn't be more wrong. I've won it ( as a crew chief) and there are just so many things that can go wrong. Mechanical failures, engine failures or one wrong split second decision by the driver and you are done. Then throw in people trying to block your pit entry or exit and people jamming your radios. Other than all of the above its a cakewalk !! LOL

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smoke will rise from the #69