IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > any tips for thunder valley for a mini sprint
9/26/11, 12:12 PM   #21
Re: any tips for thunder valley for a mini sp
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvaney View Post
i am running rr 875 lr 900 rf 875 lf 850 4 psi lr 6 rr 10 lf 12 rf it is really bad under cautions not to bad racing the car i gues momentem pushes it to the outside this was only my second race so i'm still learning but i know since i re blocked the car to a manual i have it handles ten times better biggest prob was the tightness in the middle of the turns i just had to feather the throttle to much to get it to turn left to keep up my speed in the turn
I got confused but are those numbers on your scales ? your minisprint weights 3500 lbs or so. ? I'm easily confused and this could be one of those moments, if so sorry. Anyhow to set up a loose car my guy sets my car up about 30 lbs heavy in the L/R and I like the fronts about as even as I can. For a car that I fuel hard into the corners we would put a little more on the R/R.

9/26/11, 12:34 PM   #22
Mulvaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by backitin View Post
I got confused but are those numbers on your scales ? your minisprint weights 3500 lbs or so. ? I'm easily confused and this could be one of those moments, if so sorry. Anyhow to set up a loose car my guy sets my car up about 30 lbs heavy in the L/R and I like the fronts about as even as I can. For a car that I fuel hard into the corners we would put a little more on the R/R.
those numbers are my torsion bar weights my car weighs 1010 with me in it

9/26/11, 2:14 PM   #23
backitin

Ok, thanks. I figured I'd end up sounding ignorant anyhow if you scale your car the weight distrubution I mentioned works for a base. I'm not even sure whats in my car, my setup guy was more worried about squaring the car and setting the weight distribution then the bars, he barely glanced at them and said thy'll be fine, another thing I have to learn.

9/26/11, 4:46 PM   #24
LocalYokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose93&39 View Post
Sounds like trying to turn right to me. That's what he said it this clip.
I still dont see where hes saying the car wants to turn right, toward te wall. A push in the middle of the corner is quite alot different than the car suddenly wanting to turn right...
Taking a turn or two out of the RR bar will help out that push...
Don't worry too much about how the weight it distributed. Alot of the top guys in all classes don't even scale their cars, they just make sure its of legal weight. If the car handles well then it doesn't really matter where the weight is located...
Your setup man sounds like he knows what he's doing. The car being square, and the bars are the most important thing. Get those right first and worry about fine tuning later.
You also mentioned that you drive it hard into the corner. That right there will cause a push. Since its only your second time behind the wheel, it takes a while to understand these things. Ideally, on a slick track, you want to enter the turn very gingerly. The slower the better really. That way, you can be faster in the middle, and exiting the turns. Passing guys exiting the turns is really where you want to accomplish it. Alot of guys barrell into a turn and pass cars that way, but it kills there momentum for the strait and the next turn.
Focus on entering the turns smooth and controlled, this will solve your push and allow you to be fast.
On a dry slick dirt track 90% of the time you'll be faster by "being slow". Running up top on the cushion is a whole different ball a wax, but I've found almost all of the time in minis, espically on a flat track like Salem, the races are won on the bottom playing huggy pole...
Last edited by LocalYokel; 9/26/11 at 4:59 PM.

9/26/11, 5:45 PM   #25
Mulvaney

david woolston ran first there last time the track was real tacky cause it rained the day before and he ran up top all night and was flyin. the track is banked. and it looks like it might do it again next race so i need to be able to get up top but with the push i am worried if it pushes any at all i will be in the wall. also there is a large rut in turn 1 and 2 and if your on the bottom u just might turn over as i found out the hard way. came in hot hit it and people in the pits said i was on 1 wheel for a second. so i have to atleast be mid way up but i have always seen my uncle race at the top in 410 sprints and he says that is the fastest lap due to momentum. but the momentem don't help if i have to back off twice as much to get out of the corner. thanks everyone for the help i look forward to seeing all u guys at funfest

9/26/11, 6:12 PM   #26
LocalYokel

If you're gunna run on the top, you have to be committed to it. You can't just get up there halfway. You gotta get that RR up in the cushion
Running the top with a push isn't the end of the world though. Once you get your rear wheels where you feel they should be get on the gas fairly agressively. Remember not to lift once your on the gas up there or else you'll snap the front end right into the wall. Lots of brake setting the car up going into the corner, then lots of throttle once you're up there.
The top side sometimes is the fastest, and its most definately the flashiest. That being said, don't get it stuck in your head before you even get there that, that's where you're going to run. Pay close attention to the track and run where its going to be the fastest. If the bottoms where its at then so be it.
Ive been in the winners circle at Thunder Valley a few times so I know the track well. Just trying to help. Thunder Valleys definately on of my favorite tracks. Id love to see them put on some 410 shows, or at least run midgets there.
If you happen to win this weekend you've gotta thank IndianaOpenwheel in your victory lane speach! Haha

Who is your uncle btw?
Last edited by LocalYokel; 9/26/11 at 6:18 PM.

9/26/11, 8:54 PM   #27
Mulvaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalYokel View Post
If you're gunna run on the top, you have to be committed to it. You can't just get up there halfway. You gotta get that RR up in the cushion
Running the top with a push isn't the end of the world though. Once you get your rear wheels where you feel they should be get on the gas fairly agressively. Remember not to lift once your on the gas up there or else you'll snap the front end right into the wall. Lots of brake setting the car up going into the corner, then lots of throttle once you're up there.
The top side sometimes is the fastest, and its most definately the flashiest. That being said, don't get it stuck in your head before you even get there that, that's where you're going to run. Pay close attention to the track and run where its going to be the fastest. If the bottoms where its at then so be it.
Ive been in the winners circle at Thunder Valley a few times so I know the track well. Just trying to help. Thunder Valleys definately on of my favorite tracks. Id love to see them put on some 410 shows, or at least run midgets there.
If you happen to win this weekend you've gotta thank IndianaOpenwheel in your victory lane speach! Haha

Who is your uncle btw?
alfred palmer he mechanics on eric davis' cars for larry's truck service they haven't ran in couple years do to health

9/26/11, 10:57 PM   #28
Mulvaney

[QUOTE=LocalYokel;255323]If you're gunna run on the top, you have to be committed to it. You can't just get up there halfway. You gotta get that RR up in the cushion

what kind of gear did you run there i ran 12,700 rpm but accordin to my motor specs i have the most torque around 9.250 and the horsepower peaks around 11,000 so i think i need to go down a couple teeth in the back also most reviews say that on the bike all the test were done in 4th gear. i run in 3rd gear should i try fourth before changing gears.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > any tips for thunder valley for a mini sprint