IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/11/08, 6:46 PM   #191
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano959 View Post
… I do know that all drivers are risking their lives everytime they strap in and fire the car off...... "safe" track or not.
Dano, I agree!! Thus my THANK YOU to the Cottle’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano959 View Post
That said, there is absolutely NO reason to increase those risks. This is a personal decision that each driver needs to make for themselves, and one that they do not need to answer to anybody but themselves for.
Yet the remainder of your posting above is leading or insinuating, in my opinion - that the track, after repaired, was unsafe. Which would be untrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
……
767, So you know, your not the only one asking the same, very relative, question. Hopefully D.O. will address this on RFR tonight.

8/11/08, 7:52 PM   #192
Dano959

I was not there, and have not spoken with anyone who was. No insinuation was intended one way or the other. My comment was meant in general terms applicable at any track, any time.

In the past:
  • I have seen an individual team/driver load up because they felt the track was unsafe. In person, and on TV.
  • I was at a race where the track surface was not raceable due to rain. I believe there may have been other safety issues. Since "the race must go on" because this was new-to-us track, it was decided that no points would be awarded, but anybody that wanted to could race on the smaller inner track for the full purse. Several teams left. During the heat races, a car was destroyed when it hit an exposed I-beam. At that point, it was determined that the track was unsafe and the race was cancelled. It was later revealed that the officials hadn't actually inspected the track because they didn't deem it neccessary due to the issuance of an insurance policy to the track by a respected insurance company.
  • At another new-to-us track, I found a couple of issues that I was uncomfortable with. After the officials told me "if a car gets that far out, he's gonna have other things to worry about" (or something very similar), I told our driver that if I were driving I'd load it up. He raced anyway. Our series has gone back every year since, and even though I have not gone back, it is my understanding that the row of cut down poles - 30-40 yards outside of turn 1 - is still there with nothing between them and the racing surface but a nice field of grass. NO wall. NO fence. NO hay bales.

8/11/08, 8:06 PM   #193
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I've stayed out of this for 17 pages and will do so till after D.O show tonight.

I really do think the fans are owed the apology and not just a We let em down line. That was totally un professional and IMHO created the dangerous situation and what could have been rioting even without the Barnhorst comments which were UNPROFESSIONAL as well but NOT UNTRUE!

If it was safety, Then why do they race at other tracks with obvious safety issues, Why do drivers fire off in gym shoes and t shirts with no gloves to warm motors? ECT.

I kept my word and didn't attend the three remaining USAC shows last weekend. I wasn't just upset. I was embarrassed to have taken my dad to that.

If it was safety, Fine, Im all for safety but were still waiting and I'll keep my word not to attend another USAC sanctioned event. Endorse em, buy any merchandise or tell or take friends. In fact, Im telling people to stay away and have sent so snail mail to corporate sponsors, Toyota, Chevy, Fatheadz telling them exactly what I though of last thursdays experience at their sponsored sanctioning body. U.S.A.C

Chuck, who ended up having a great weekend anyway doing various other activities.

8/11/08, 8:37 PM   #194
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
FYI, I've been to 7 USAC shows this year and 16 races total.
Wow you have been to 16races, yet posted over 1300 times. This was the discussion at Kokomo last night. By missing the Burg, you missed a wild show.

Funk, who wonders sometimes if Chuck is a race fan or message board fan.

Not meant as a slam, just an observation.

8/11/08, 9:02 PM   #195
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

I will be at as many USAC races as I can get to, every time I am at a USAC event, I get to sit next to Dick Jordan, and the stories and information he shares is worth it. Ive always had a great experience when at a USAC event.

8/11/08, 9:09 PM   #196
Charles Nungester

Nope, Im just a Brent Funk Fan.

Brent, I work weekends and make as many shows as I can. Kamp and Gas City were both one day very big expensive trips for one USAC show each. If they don't apreciate it fine. Thats the way I feel. I was really starting to get into USAC and it's racing and some of the changes that made it more racing and more chances to get in.

Im sorry for feeling let down. Im not against Bloomington, Kokomo or of course The Burg. I took the entire weekend as did others off to attend this weeks racing and got treated like we weren't even part of racing. and certainly not apreciated. As I said, At minnimum USAC should have mentioned to THE FANS ATTENDING, WHY? WERE SORRY, WHAT FOR........................ and we APRCIATE YOU. And simply asking for our continued support. Instead we got Nothing, STILL NOTHING and treated like we were causing the situation. I can't support that. If a track puts up the money. These teams will be there. They don't need USAC to do that. I also can't support them letting someone who has had nothing to do with that event since last october name be drug thru the mud. He came, Told them what needed done and it didn't get done. Never got rechecked yet its his fault? BULL!

You don't have to agree with me. My post are over 2 years and a lot of it is just friendly discussion.
Chuck

8/11/08, 9:25 PM   #197

i enjoyed the dance, everyone stayed professional. I still have no clue what was unsafe...lol. I wish D.O. would have asked whats next for UCS? Thak you Davey Ray for being Honest! As of right now, I will stay firm on my decision not to attend usac events. Maybe one of tony's shows will change my mind. Simple basics, usac walked out on us, and they say it will not happen again, and they are sorry.

8/11/08, 9:41 PM   #198
DonMoore10

Can someone summarize what took place and said on the D.O. Show? I had a meeting that I had to attend when it was broadcast.:crying:

8/11/08, 10:22 PM   #199
Charles Nungester

I should have contacted USAC directly and just stayed out of it. I'll just say that being contacted directly by none higher. I will support them, hope that this never happens again and Apologize for anything I said that was not based on fact although I still don't know the facts, Only whats been said and what I seen happen some by reportedly in the know people.

I also apologize to Bloomington, LBurg and Kokomo Speedways. I wanted too, planned for and had arrangements to attend. I apologize to the racers, whatever the reason. I'll support them. I found it very difficult to justify attending the sanction after that. I've always wanted them to succeed and flurish. I felt that hurt the trust I had in them.

Being contacted directly. I'll keep a open mind, Promiss to attend and hope and pray the future is bright.

Charles Nungester

8/11/08, 10:36 PM   #200
Tim Clauson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
i enjoyed the dance, everyone stayed professional. I still have no clue what was unsafe...lol. I wish D.O. would have asked whats next for UCS? Thak you Davey Ray for being Honest! As of right now, I will stay firm on my decision not to attend usac events. Maybe one of tony's shows will change my mind. Simple basics, usac walked out on us, and they say it will not happen again, and they are sorry.
767, I can only speak for myself but the things that concerned me ( as a car owner and a father and a friend to several drivers ) were,

1) the concrete sticking out of the bottom of the fence, which I know they were putting dirt on top of and I was willing to see how that worked out until a driver who was a self proclaimed many time feature winner in a stock car there said many of his wins came from the guys in front of him loosing right fronts and right rears when they hit the concrete. Loosing a RF, RR in a stock car is a far cry from loosing one in a midget

2) the obstacles outside of the race track if a car were to get out of the ballpark exposed poles, equipment ect.

3) The wall in turn 3 that had a protrusion (I think that is the right word) sticking out that could be hit head on or could catch a RF or RR in a midget. (and was hit by a sprint car in the first heat race)

4) But the biggest thing that concerned me was the rebar that stuck out of the top of the fence in turn 3 while some were bent over the towards the outside of the track there were some pieces that stuck straight up 3" to 6" looking to me that had a car hit cage first could act as a spear.

I decided after walking around the track that we would not be running due to "my" safety concerns. I made this same decision in 04 for exactly the same reasons at this same track.

As far as the drivers are concerned, I didn't hear one driver say they would not run, the concerns were expressed by team owners, team managers, and a few dads.

I may be in the minority here but I for one applaud a sanctioning body who looks out for there participants, there is no doubt an inspection should of taken place days before the event but even if a inspection were to of taken place and something else came to light the day of the race then I hope the sanctioning body will have the fortitude to do what they feel is in the best interests of there competitors especially when safety is the concern.

Tim Clauson

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week