IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question
12/3/14, 6:47 PM   #11
Re: Lightning Sprint Question
DAD

Old

He is on top of everything else a wheel man. I am the type of guy that watches and listens to things, he kept that car hooked up, that equals fast even with a motor down 20 horsepower.

Honest Dad himself

12/3/14, 8:07 PM   #12
cmiracingvids

Dad,

What I'm saying is, what's the purpose of having a 2nd motor and only using it for parts? If you blow your motor up, just take your injection off and put in a new motor and go. Is there really a reason to go get another bottom end without the head and use the head from the one you blew up? Would it be cost effective? Is the head from the one you blew up really going to give you an advantage? Probably not...but why get into all that. Seems like it just opens up the door for someone to try and find room to gain an advantage. I personally could care less what anyone puts in their cars. If they feel they have to cheat rules to win...then that's on them. I do know this. Everyone was terrified of the BMW engine. Paul Davis ran that with the MMSA and he finished right in front of me at North Vernon. And he's a better driver than I am. He didn't lap the field twice...
No matter what, people spend if they can and people don't if they can't. In the end, it's like the racesaver sprints. A guy with bottomless pockets has the same chance to win as the guy with pocket lint and determination. Rules are meant to increase competition and decrease cost. They have a funny way of doing the exact opposite...why is that?

2 members like this post: bn kleen, jjones752
12/3/14, 10:33 PM   #13
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
Dad,

What I'm saying is, what's the purpose of having a 2nd motor and only using it for parts? If you blow your motor up, just take your injection off and put in a new motor and go. Is there really a reason to go get another bottom end without the head and use the head from the one you blew up? Would it be cost effective? Is the head from the one you blew up really going to give you an advantage? Probably not...but why get into all that. Seems like it just opens up the door for someone to try and find room to gain an advantage. I personally could care less what anyone puts in their cars. If they feel they have to cheat rules to win...then that's on them. I do know this. Everyone was terrified of the BMW engine. Paul Davis ran that with the MMSA and he finished right in front of me at North Vernon. And he's a better driver than I am. He didn't lap the field twice...
No matter what, people spend if they can and people don't if they can't. In the end, it's like the racesaver sprints. A guy with bottomless pockets has the same chance to win as the guy with pocket lint and determination. Rules are meant to increase competition and decrease cost. They have a funny way of doing the exact opposite...why is that?
Cmi

We were never afraid of the BMW. In racing as in life everybody is looking for an edge. If a racer has more money to race with than us >>>more power to them so to speak.

Generally when we blow a motor, things start out like this. The rod runs out of oil film. this causes it to weld to the crankshaft, at such high RPMs the rod has a lot of inertia acting aganist it, it stretches out and pulls itself apart, usually in several parts,this causes it to knock huge holes in the cylinder block, the piston no longer controlled by the rod goes up and slams aganist the head hitting the valves still moving at a high rate of speed being turned by the cam shaft, this in turns drives the valves through the head of the piston and maybe a valve head is driven up into the cylinder head port. We end up usually with 3/4 th of an engine if lucky, so changing heads is usually not an option either. Generally the parts that you can salvage is the valve covers and side covers, 12 valves and springs, the cam shafts, 3 pistons and rods, the clutch and tranny and the injection and headers. Every thing else is junk. If I wanted to build another engine out of my parts I would need to buy a block, crankshaft, and cylinder head. In fact the engine we won at Charlestown with was a motor that we built this way, it blew up the next week at Brownstown.

Given the option I would much rather buy a low mileage motor less than 1000 miles on it than split the cases and try to build one from parts. The needed precision to fit them properly together often requiring tolerances of less than 3 ten thousandths of an inch is not usually available to most builders, then if they do have the instruments to check this close, they do not have enough parts to mix and match to get the right tolerance in the motor. The manufactures have both so if you want a good motor I would suggest buying a stock low milage motor.

Some say 8000 mile motors are the best, I guess that is because they are easier to find, but like I said one ten thousandth of an inch might represent 10 psi in oil pressure and oil pressure equals longer engine life. That red light you see in Doug's cockpit under caution laps means the oil pressure is below 20 PSI not bad at yellow lap speeds >>but guaranteed destruction at 12000 rpms.

If a guy has money let him spend it, don't begrudge him that joy. Learn to race smart, and make the best out of what you have and above All else HAVE FUN. Ask yourself several times a night am I having fun, if the answer is "no" find another hobby.

I just read again that bottom line on your last post, That is very true statement and question.
" Rules are meant to increase competition and decrease cost. They have a funny way of doing the exact opposite...why is that? "

The answer to the question is what we call "Human Nature" young man.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/3/14 at 11:05 PM.

1 member likes this post: cmiracingvids
12/3/14, 11:03 PM   #14
cmiracingvids

Always enjoy your responses, DAD. Thanks for the words of wisdom. And really you proved my point. There really is no need to take a head from one engine and put it on another. So it seems it should read in the rule book that the head must match that block. How this is done or how you check it...that's up to people smarter than me. See you at the track!

Colin Miller

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/3/14, 11:22 PM   #15
DAD

Cmi

The Most important rule in racing and in life is K.I.S.S. You would never think I am a follower of this rule were you to look under the hood of my race car, but like the preacher says do as I say not as I do. We spend a lot of time racing ourselves, we have been doing it for years. We use data acquisition like some people use cameras and check and double check it after every race. It might make us faster too who knows, it is a lot of fun for Doug and I and has taught us a lot of stuff about racing, now I see that is the next thing to make a rule against. We like to tinker and when they out law tinkering the fun is gone for me .

I liked the old rules of the MMSA they were easy to enforce and gave racer a chance to experiment a little. The new "National Rules" were rushed, ill conceived and didn't do anything to lower the cost of racing for anybody. For that matter they didn't even make it easier to race from one group to another. The same people that traveled in the past did not travel as much this year as they did the years before, probably not because of the rules but because of the cost of travel.

We do need to work on rules a little.

Number ONE There is no way to know what head went on which motor, number TWO there is no way to know what year a motor is by looking at the numbers on the cylinder block>> "WHY MAKE A DUMB A$$ RULE THAT YOU CAN NOT >>NOR>>DO NOT NEED TO ENFORCE" Note: (all caps used to reinforce a statement)

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/3/14 at 11:36 PM.

12/4/14, 12:11 AM   #16
bobbyd

Bobby Layne is a whale of a driver. He has driven at over 162 different race tracks across the US in his career. He has driven wing and non wing, sprints, midgets, super modifieds, IMCA modifieds, World of Outlaws and he has won races driving all the different types of cars. He is one of those drivers that can carry a bad car. The Henchcraft that he is driving now is the first new race car that he and his brother did not build in his career.
That "old" R1 of his was put together by McGee Racing in Eldorado Springs, MO. 5 valves per cylinder is more torque than the 4 valve per cylinder engines. In fact, we had 4 of the "old" R1's in the top six in points with the MLS all freshened and assembled by Phil McGee. Legal engines.
Racers for many years have been putting parts from one year of engine into another to increase hp because what was needed wasn't available or it was cheaper than buying "racing" parts. I remember back in the early 60's of the KC racing mafia putting Studebaker crankshafts in the small block Chevies to stroke them. They were fast.
After you blow up one of these bike engines, it is definitely cheaper to buy another engine than then trying to find the parts to piece one back together. Dad is right when he says have fun. Learn how to set up the car properly, get the power you have to the ground, get lots of seat time to be the best driver you can be.

12/4/14, 12:20 AM   #17
DAD

Bobby

That is hard to believe, he didn't look a day over 25 to me. But I will take you word on it.

Maybe we need a rule that no drivers with over 5 years of experience and no driver with experience in a larger car can race with us.

That would sure be a loss for the new kids coming up though. The best way to become a good race car driver is to follow a Journeyman driver a little and then get up enough nerve to ask him a question or two.

I am glad for guys like Bobby.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: bn kleen
12/4/14, 12:35 AM   #18
cbaumeyer48

I love this stuff!
Attached Images
image.jpg (14.5 KB, 37 views)

12/4/14, 12:41 AM   #19
DAD

Cb

Beats watching "Angry White man TV" I just listen to Bill O on the TV and punch away on my trusty lap top.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/4/14 at 10:36 AM.

12/4/14, 12:33 PM   #20
bobbyd

It is pretty neat when some of the older experienced drivers jump into these cars. The first thing that I hear is they had no idea these cars were that fast. I have Casey Shuman in my 49 at the Shootout to try and get some excitement about the Lightning Sprints at the Shootout.
To prove your point about drivers and setup and not engines: I remember the summer before Jesse Hockett passed, he was at Grain Valley with his non wing sprint to run a race and the MLS (with wings) was there that nite as well. He came over to me and said he would drive one of our cars that nite if there was an open seat. He jumped into 15 year old car with a keyed rear axle and a older engine. Started at the back of the feature and came to 3rd before the laps ran out. If there had been 2 or 3 more laps, he probably would have won it. We are talking about a car that probably had not seen a better finish than 7 or 8th.

2 members like this post: DAD, Steve Wendel
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question