IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four Crown at Eldora
9/3/13, 10:45 PM   #11
Re: Four Crown at Eldora
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I say switch it with the spring show and put the three day system in effect. FRI and SAT with rain date of SUN.

Make it the Daytona of USAC, Lead off with it! When the lack of Football and the desire to get to racing is strongest. Not when all the equipments worn out, People got school and have already attended a dozen races, football etc on their plates.

Just a idea, Not a demand
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/3/13 at 10:47 PM.

3 members like this post: johnnythunderhead, larsonfan, Tim Watson
9/4/13, 12:04 AM   #12
slick01

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I say switch it with the spring show and put the three day system in effect. FRI and SAT with rain date of SUN.

Make it the Daytona of USAC, Lead off with it! When the lack of Football and the desire to get to racing is strongest. Not when all the equipments worn out, People got school and have already attended a dozen races, football etc on their plates.

Just a idea, Not a demand
Perhaps a USAC of old would help. No leadership = little interest.

2 members like this post: mowerman, racephoto1
9/4/13, 6:17 AM   #13
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead View Post
if you're going to see a midget show elsewhere instead of the 4 crowns, just remember the bada** midgets will be at the 4 crowns, so don't count on any of them being elsewhere.
Maybe in your little world,but I know better. You should get out more often and see the world.......

Actually the reason I am not going to the 4 crown this year is Eldora is far from my favorite track,and every year I have gone to the 4 crown,I always end up leaving wondering why I went there.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 9/4/13 at 6:22 AM.

2 members like this post: darnall, wolfpack58
9/4/13, 7:09 AM   #14
addictedtodirt

Anyone else care to see ASQ and thunderhead go toe to toe? (Canes and walkers allowed as weapons. Dentures must be removed.). Anyone?? Didn't think so. So move on ASQ. Enjoy the races wherever you may be, and drop the keyboard bashing. We are all here on this board for the love of open wheel racing.

2 members like this post: dkdorkboy, speed bump
9/4/13, 7:36 AM   #15
Andrew S. Quinn

Ahh no bashing here. Just having some fun. Johnny reckons there's only 19 midgets around. I know better.

I don't really care for Eldora. That's just telling the truth. Socially the 4 crown is great. Just decided to do something different this year.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 9/4/13 at 8:37 AM.

1 member likes this post: fish
9/4/13, 10:59 AM   #16
UberKuhlMan

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 70

Two years ago, my Dad and I drove up from Cincinnati to go to both nights of the 4-Crown. We had never been to Eldora and when we walked in past the statue of Earl and Bernice and looked down at the tracked I got chills. I had never seen a track like Eldora before. Lawrenceburg is high banked, but it's no Eldora. Joey Saldana won the Outlaw show on a single lane, bottom/middle line, hammer down track. It was Joey's first time back at Eldora since he was injured earlier that year. I forgot who won the Modified Feature that night but I remember it being a better show than the Wings. Maybe the #77?

Saturday, we got a show. I only have to mention one name-Kyle Larson. Needless to say, we were definitely going back.

Last year (2012), we only went on Saturday night, not that it mattered anyway, because Friday night's events got rained out. Yes, the Midgets car count was in the teens but that didn't make a difference. Larson, Hagen, East, Bacon, Kuhn among others put on a show for the ages. The Sprint car Feature was typical Eldora-scary fast, dusty, sliders, bouncing off the wall, etc. Larson was working his way through the pack when he sailed it into one just a little too close to the wall on the high side, caught the berm and started rolling, then Mitch Wissmiller collided with him full-tilt, cage to cage and Larson's car basically exploded. Hands down the worst crash I've seen in person. Tracy Hines went on to win the race. Kyle at first stated that he would run the Crown car, but then decided to back out of it in favor of a checkup. Bryan Clauson wrapped up the night with a win in the SC car. Robert Ballou put on a show in his rookie start and ended up second in the 63. Another 15 laps and he says he would've had something for Clauson.

I'm looking forward to this year's 4-Crown. I'm planning on only going to Saturday's event, but I may change my mind at the last minute (as the Outlaws have been putting on some pretty awesome show this year). I think it's unlikely that we will see Kyle Larson out there this year. Maybe in the Wing car on Friday but on Saturday, the Nationwide series is racing in Kentucky during the evening and unless it get's rained out, Larson will be running that. I think the person to watch this year will be Christopher Bell. A favorite to win the Midget portion, as he is in the best Midget on the circuit and he has proved his skills on the High Banks in Belleville. We'll assume that Keith will bring the Sprint Car for Bell to run. And with Bell's recent endeavor into the Silver Crown division, we can all be pretty sure he will be doing triple duty at Eldora this year. Keith has been building a Wing car. Maybe they'll finish it before the Outlaw show.

[Side note: I didn't intend on writing an essay but once I start talking about Eldora, I can't stop. And 4th Bell Environmental Science isn't doing much for me. ]
Last edited by UberKuhlMan; 9/5/13 at 9:23 AM.

4 members like this post: Danny Burton, Kw1, racephoto1, SC90
9/4/13, 11:02 AM   #17
jim goerge

Used to love Eldora but after the Dust out Its been checked off my list

1 member likes this post: sc17x
9/4/13, 11:11 AM   #18

ditch the SC cars and add the mods back. Outlaws sell tickets and bring in sponsors, there not going anywhere. SC cars are dead. Take there purse and offer it to the mods, you would easily have a 100 of them and sell a ton more pit passes.

9/4/13, 3:39 PM   #19
PIT CART

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Used to love Eldora but after the Dust out Its been checked off my list
They finally fixed that problem. The last 2 years the track has been real good.

2 members like this post: EPSpeed, speed bump
9/4/13, 4:41 PM   #20
Chubs Peterson

Great memories of the 4-crown: Hewitt's sweep, Larson's sweep, 7 am finish, Gordon's major slider from third to first through lapped cars in a midget, Hewitt's crash, Hewitt's spin and win in Silver Crown I could go on and on but I agree that something needs to be done to give this a shot in the arm. I say scrap the Midgets and Silver Crown and run a doubleheader both night's of the outlaws and USAC sprints. 4-crowns and then we may even see some guys who normally only run wings take their top off and vice versa. (I know racing ******** will never allow it to happen but it would be cool.)

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four Crown at Eldora