IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank you Indiana
7/15/13, 7:42 AM   #11
Re: Thank you Indiana
Ty

I know how ya feel... I was spoiled last month and I'm already planning a trip back for next year...

7/15/13, 11:19 AM   #12
Hot Rod K.

Passed you guys on 69 on my way to Gas City. Love the passion this sport evokes! And like Chuck said, I've seen nice improvement over the first three nights as well. Will come say hello Wednesday. Good luck!

7/15/13, 11:34 AM   #13
flatout18

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 46

Thanks for coming to the Hoosier State. Come back more often and bring more cars with ya!

7/15/13, 12:49 PM   #14
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
Nice to meet you and your Dad and in your case is exactly why USAC format sucks. Nathan and his father drove straight through from Texas. At Gas City they started in the last chance race. Ran 8 laps and did not make the cut and loaded up. Kokomo was the same results. Just don't understand why they can not have more than 4 heats. This would a least give guys like Nathan more seat time since they would be able to run the B feature. Just want to make clear that Nathan did not complain about the format. I am doing it for him and all the guys that had to load up after the last chance race.
While the format doesn't allow for more laps for the less-experienced competitors, what it does attempt to do, from my perspective as an owner and driver's father, is insure that the cars on the track stay at a competitive speed. What I mean is, with the fastest qualifying 24 cars starting from the first three rows, and the next 16 starting behind them, there is a significantly less chance of a car that is 2-3 seconds per lap slower starting in front of the much faster cars, as can be the case with a draw for heat race position. This, in my humble opinion, provides for a safer first few laps of the race. To make it exciting, however, the first six in each heat are inverted, so everyone needs to keep their elbows up.

I do agree that the Kokomo qualification process seems to provide the most fairness, and would provide for the same "safety" in the early heat laps. It also helps to even out the luck of the draw so that a late (or sometimes early) draw isn't as much of a penalty if track conditions change during qualifying.

It is also my humble opinion that seat time is best gained at the local track level before venturing out into the "major league". I know we've learned that lesson the hard way.

Tim Simmons

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
7/15/13, 2:59 PM   #15
robert gatten

I call Lawrenceburg the TAJ MAHAL of dirt racing but all tracks in INDIANA are special in their own way. Make the move, you won't regret it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank you Indiana