IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gambler Competition Center closing
3/31/13, 2:45 PM   #11
Re: Gambler Competition Center closing
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaIndy View Post
My father and Grandfather ran the Gambler Competition store/shop on gasoline alley. I grew up in that shop and Dicks Speed Shop on 16th st. before that as the two were one in the same with different locations and Gambler exclusive stuff in the new shop once we moved. Our shop closed by order of the home office in 1988/1989. Gambler continued to build cars for a few years after that but not many, 4 to 5 years maybe but could be less. Floyd would be the guy to ask but I don't think even he stuck around until the very end. Do you have a car your trying to track down info on? Myself or my dad would be willing to help with any info if we can, just let me know.

Posted via Mobile Device
Actually have three Gamblers but they are currently in PA. Two are 1986 and the other is newer. Thank you for the offer of help and when the numbers are determined, I'll get back to you. My friend checked on the newer chassis and he thinks it reads 2004.
Last edited by trecraft; 3/31/13 at 3:48 PM. Reason: Update

4/29/13, 8:06 AM   #12
racephoto1

I saw his skydiver at a USAC sprint race at Terre Haute. Dropped the diver , then the wing snapped of the plane. Wasn't much left when it hit the ground.

He was a great guy. I was a young one when I first met him. Made a great impression on me, I'll never forget him.

4/30/13, 2:43 PM   #13
TexasHoosier

AlaskaIndy,
I think I met you a few years back at the old hobby shop in Georgetown TX, I knew your Grandpa well! What a great guy! I flew RC planes with Dick’s old school buddies out in Salt Lake City a few years back and they had some good stories about Dick!

5/9/13, 6:28 PM   #14
AlaskaIndy

That's a funny story about terre haute. Vogler was flying the plane and my grandfather was operating the skydiver. He said they had their backs to the crowd and he heard a little noise from the crowd when the skydiver dropped from the plane. Then he opened the chute on the skydiver and was just flying it back to him and he hears the crowd get really loud and says something to Rich about how the crowd must really be liking this. About that time Vogler tells him "I'm outta here" and sets the controller on the ground, well my grandfather looks over to find the plane because he hasn't been paying attention to it and sees the wing folded up headed for the ground. My grandfather and I spent an hour behind the backstretch looking for parts to salvage of what was left of that plane and we never found a lot of it. I have that skydiver and Vogler's RC helicopter in my garage. Yeah Texashoosier that was me down in Georgetown. I moved back to Indy and I'm working for Panther now doing the indycar thing. Let me know when you're going to be in town next and we can catch a beer and hang out. Vice versa if I'm gonna make it down there.

Posted via Mobile Device

5/9/13, 7:15 PM   #15
AlaskaIndy

And thank you both for the kind words. And everyone else on this thread also. Myself and my family really appreciate it. My grandfather was my best friend in the world and the two of us were very close. It means everything to know that other people saw the magic in him too. Thanks again.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gambler Competition Center closing