IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Seriously, what do you do?
1/19/12, 10:57 AM   #11
sprintracer82

I started racing nonwing dirt with a sportsman engine with a 750 carb on alky in 06. I have since gotten a 410, but it went to the engine guys nonwing car. It has been ran every year since and been beaten to death. Most night he turns it well past 8500rpm. He just took it down after nearly 60 shows and many test days and it shows little to no wear. Change the oil filter every night and the oil every 6 nights and Adjust the valves every 3 races. He is going to Reusing the bearings in the rebuild.
As long as it is put together right and you take care of it I wouldn't be worried. You just have to remember that you may not have the power most nights to run up front. On a dry slick night you may be able to keep up. Bad dad knows who im talking about.

Nick Landon

Posted via Mobile Device

1/19/12, 6:51 PM   #12
Re: Seriously, what do you do?
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
I know of 1 sprint that raced w/ MTS that used their modified engine w/ a carb. Ran pretty well
MTS is NOTHING like the Indiana non wing scene.

---------- Post added at 5:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie09 View Post
Seriously, what do you do? You want to race, you have a sprint roller sitting in the garage. All you have to do is drop a motor in and go racing. BUT! The funds just aren't there for a full race powerplant. You could afford a slightly modified engine with a carb and racing fuel, but do any tracks or groups offer that configuration? What kind of alternative is there, without letting the car sit?
Have at it and have a great time while you're at it!

1/20/12, 12:54 PM   #13
Re: Seriously, what do you do?
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie09 View Post
Seriously, what do you do? You want to race, you have a sprint roller sitting in the garage. All you have to do is drop a motor in and go racing. BUT! The funds just aren't there for a full race powerplant. You could afford a slightly modified engine with a carb and racing fuel, but do any tracks or groups offer that configuration? What kind of alternative is there, without letting the car sit?
The question is how much can you afford? I started racing with a -10 head motor and was having fun trying to get some seat time. A small motor is fine for tracks like paragon when they slick off, and most races everyone makes a feature so you can just have fun. If you want to be competitive in the big races though, it would obviously take a bigger motor. Just go out and have fun, plus learning how to make that little motor go faster might help you if you decide to upgrade one day.

Btw I dont know you budget limits but you can usually find some really decently prices -12 head motors on the hoseheads.com classifieds.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Seriously, what do you do?