IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #11 9/28/11 6:22 PM
Originally Posted by 48modracer:
Are there any drivers left that would have enough stones to race a track like Langhorne today? Watching races from Langhorne on Dick Walden's videos leave me shaking my head wondering how more of them weren't hurt at that place.

Charles Nungester
5 Likes: Gregg, interpreter66, jim goerge, oldtimer
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #12 9/28/11 6:30 PM
I'd re-create the Santa Fe Speedway that was located on the Southwest side of Chicago (Burr Ridge) that closed in late 1995 / eaily 1996 or the old Crown Point Speedway located in Northwest Indiana until in closed in Feb. 2006.

Would have metal grandstand and would be above the wall on the track so fans sitting down low could see the track like the fans high in the stands.

Beer & concession stands would be close to the track so those working either of them could watch the races when their not serving anyone.

Track would be a 1/2 mile or 3/8's mile clay oval with about 90 - 100 feet wide all the way around the track with about 22 - 25 degree of banking and have great deal of lighting around the facility.

Regular Admission: $8.00 / $10.00 & Pit Passes : $20.00 / $25.00

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
Tim Watson (Offline)
  #13 9/28/11 6:51 PM
Originally Posted by nathans1012:
I'd re-create the Santa Fe Speedway that was located on the Southwest side of Chicago (Burr Ridge) that closed in late 1995 / eaily 1996 or the old Crown Point Speedway located in Northwest Indiana until in closed in Feb. 2006.

Would have metal grandstand and would be above the wall on the track so fans sitting down low could see the track like the fans high in the stands.

Beer & concession stands would be close to the track so those working either of them could watch the races when their not serving anyone.

Track would be a 1/2 mile or 3/8's mile clay oval with about 90 - 100 feet wide all the way around the track with about 22 - 25 degree of banking and have great deal of lighting around the facility.

Regular Admission: $8.00 / $10.00 & Pit Passes : $20.00 / $25.00
Santa Fe Speedway? Not slamming here if you liked that track that's cool. We seen a few Outlaw shows there but i didn't really care for the track, to much of a paper clip but the stands were close to the track so the view was good.
LocalYokel (Offline)
  #14 9/28/11 9:00 PM
Re-create Pine Brook speedway in New Jersey. So what if its not a sprintcar track. It'd be cool to have a nice state of the art paved circle for smaller cars like TQ's and midgets. Unfortuantely you'd also somehow have to re-create the car counts they had their in the 70's and 80's. When I was a kid, it was by far my favorite track to go to.
Ascot would be my second choice to resurect. The land is still availble, or was a few years ago at least. A dirt sprintcar track in the middle of LA would still be awesome. Run it weekly with non-wing 410's and midgets. Special shows for 360's and the Outlaws would be fine by me. I even think it would be fairly popular with the off road/mx/kustom/and vintage crowds in Southern Cal. Just get Red Bull to sponsor it and you'd be all set!
i love dirt track racing (Offline)
  #15 9/28/11 9:07 PM
the old burg speedway!!!!
PAW (Offline)
  #16 9/28/11 9:16 PM
The Burg,leave everthing the way it is,sh*t
can the 3/8 bring back 1/4 mile!!!!

:99:: Wings Don't Move Air THEY SUCK
Gregg (Offline)
  #17 9/28/11 9:31 PM
I'll build a track like the 5/8" mile at IRP before it got NASCAR-ized.
#1jackhewittfan (Offline)
  #18 9/29/11 4:08 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
1963 Langhorne Speedway USAC Indy race - PART 2 - YouTube
That track is awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
berks co (Offline)
  #19 9/29/11 7:54 AM
The Reading Fairgrounds!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Seadog (Offline)
  #20 9/29/11 8:07 AM
Originally Posted by nathans1012:

Track would be a 1/2 mile or 3/8's mile clay oval with about 90 - 100 feet wide all the way around the track with about 22 - 25 degree of banking and have great deal of lighting around the facility. Regular Admission: $8.00 / $10.00 & Pit Passes : $20.00 / $25.00
I loved Santa Fe. Made the trip a few times for Friday ninght/Saturday night weekend USAC shows at Illiana/Santa Fe. IIRC, Santa Fe was the first time I saw Rich Vogler drive a USAC sprinter.