IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > J.W. Hunt
5/11/11, 4:19 PM   #11
Re: J.W. Hunt
Hubie

I have witnessed JW Hunt passing out 100 dollar bills on a couple of occasions.

Neat guy, and a HUGE fan and patron of the Sport

RIP

5/11/11, 6:21 PM   #12
Joe@ScaleSprints

He even sponsored my 1/8 Scale Nitro RC Late Model. Ok not really, I just really liked then Hewitt 21

5/11/11, 7:43 PM   #13
hoosierhillbilly

THere is a pretty good bio on the JW Hunt on the National SPrint Car HOF site

http://sprintcarhof.com/Pages/Inductees

Search for Hunt in the 1996 class.

THere are also bios on a lot of other greats.

5/11/11, 8:03 PM   #14
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Just curious, how this was brought up? Was he in the news recently?

I found this on another site:Though he was not a driver that I know of, the contributions of J. W. Hunt to the sport of sprint car racing -- and dirt track racing in general -- cannot be overstated. A strawberry farmer from Florida by profession, Hunt was perhaps the biggest fan dirt track racing ever had, and he spread his considerable wealth around to practically every driver in the sport. The familiar strawberry logo appears to this day on hundreds of race cars and drivers' helmets across the US.

You never knew when or where Hunt would appear, but when he did he would always spice up the racing by offering a little extra to sweeten the purse. I remember one particular night at Silver Dollar Speedway, when the CRA non-winged tour was in town for a Gold Cup support race. Lealand McSpadden had set quick time, but flipped in his heat race, ringing his bell and severely damaging the car. J. W. stepped up to the infield reporter's microphone and offered to add $1000 to the winner's purse if McSpadden could come back through the B main and win the main event! The offer met with roars of approval from the crowd. Looking a little shaky in a car that wasn't quite right, Lealand proceeded to run away with the B. A few minutes later, with the car now set up for the always-tacky Chico track, he won the main event to a standing ovation, and a beaming Hunt was there to greet McSpadden on the victory stand!

Hunt passed away in January of 1994 after a long and full life. But I'm sure he smiles down on America's dirt tracks every weekend.

This is at the Hall of Fame in Charlotte, I never knew any of this history until today, sounds like he was a huge asset to dirt racing!

5/11/11, 10:51 PM   #15
LUCKYONE

you will see me at all the tracks J.W. Hunt plate on my truck & a J.W.Hunt hat on my head went to Plant City FL tready me like a king

5/11/11, 10:54 PM   #16
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post
Just curious, how this was brought up? Was he in the news recently?

I found this on another site:Though he was not a driver that I know of, the contributions of J. W. Hunt to the sport of sprint car racing -- and dirt track racing in general -- cannot be overstated. A strawberry farmer from Florida by profession, Hunt was perhaps the biggest fan dirt track racing ever had, and he spread his considerable wealth around to practically every driver in the sport. The familiar strawberry logo appears to this day on hundreds of race cars and drivers' helmets across the US.

You never knew when or where Hunt would appear, but when he did he would always spice up the racing by offering a little extra to sweeten the purse. I remember one particular night at Silver Dollar Speedway, when the CRA non-winged tour was in town for a Gold Cup support race. Lealand McSpadden had set quick time, but flipped in his heat race, ringing his bell and severely damaging the car. J. W. stepped up to the infield reporter's microphone and offered to add $1000 to the winner's purse if McSpadden could come back through the B main and win the main event! The offer met with roars of approval from the crowd. Looking a little shaky in a car that wasn't quite right, Lealand proceeded to run away with the B. A few minutes later, with the car now set up for the always-tacky Chico track, he won the main event to a standing ovation, and a beaming Hunt was there to greet McSpadden on the victory stand!

Hunt passed away in January of 1994 after a long and full life. But I'm sure he smiles down on America's dirt tracks every weekend.

This is at the Hall of Fame in Charlotte, I never knew any of this history until today, sounds like he was a huge asset to dirt racing!

Read a brief statement by a friend that mentioned him... I knew nothing about J.W. and it sparked my curiosity.

5/11/11, 11:24 PM   #17
racephoto1

One day , years ago, my brothers and I were working on Duke Cook's car at the Hoosier Hundred . We started 11 or 12, and Duke took off. By lap 50 we were 3rd and coming, when the rear end let go. At the end of the day J.W. came by and handed us some cash. He said you boys did a good job today, and I'm buying the beer. If there ever was a racers racer, he was the man.

The other thing about J.W. is that you only hear half the stories. There were so many favors done by that man behind the scenes, that he'll never be forgotten amongst us old timers, as you call us.

1 member likes this post: Need For Speed
5/11/11, 11:39 PM   #18
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
One day , years ago, my brothers and I were working on Duke Cook's car at the Hoosier Hundred . We started 11 or 12, and Duke took off. By lap 50 we were 3rd and coming, when the rear end let go. At the end of the day J.W. came by and handed us some cash. He said you boys did a good job today, and I'm buying the beer. If there ever was a racers racer, he was the man.

The other thing about J.W. is that you only hear half the stories. There were so many favors done by that man behind the scenes, that he'll never be forgotten amongst us old timers, as you call us.
Thus why I inquired... He sounds like a incredible guy... I definitely aspire to be more like J.W. and hopefully others that may have not known or maybe forgot do as well.

5/12/11, 12:09 AM   #19
Need For Speed

JW was a hell of a guy!

I've been to back yard cook outs with JW in attendance, then later the same day at Eldora he would be mobbed by people. He was the same, laid back, always looking to have a good time, JW.

He 'created' ways to slide racers a few extra $$.

I've even seen him tell one of Eldora's 50/50 girls "Honey, give me $100 worth, and you might as well get $100 worth for yourself too', then he handed her 2 $100 bills.

Short track racing lost a great supporter, and fan, when JW Hunt passed.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
5/12/11, 1:01 AM   #20
Gasman fan 50

I think he has the visit the race track record. As a fan I would say hi to him all the time. It wouldn't surprise me that he was the man behind the 69 BK's BBQ at Calistoga with Doc Miller the chef.

He sure would pass out some cash.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > J.W. Hunt