IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wind tunnel
6/1/10, 8:41 AM   #11
Re: Wind tunnel
Hubie

Despain is a carpet bagger who rode into the limelight with the CART/IRL fued. Up until that point he was nothing more than a motorcycle guy with a good voice and the ability to act professional.

6/1/10, 9:10 AM   #12
REH24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
Despain is a carpet bagger who rode into the limelight with the CART/IRL fued. Up until that point he was nothing more than a motorcycle guy with a good voice and the ability to act professional.
He got his start before the Cart/IRL fued. He was the pit reporter on Thursday Night Thunder with Gary Lee and Bob Jenkins in the early 90's on ESPN.

REH

6/1/10, 9:18 AM   #13
v8j

daves actions are a let down.but he is a taxi cab supporter,reporter,and not a friend of open wheel just my 2cents.i do not watch speed any more it is just nascar tv.OPEN WHEEL needs its own station and program.dave did do a good job on thursday thunder.

1 member likes this post: jerrydt
6/1/10, 9:19 AM   #14
sprinter25

Dave hosted one of the first racing highlight shows on WTBS(now TNT?) back in the mid-80's...I believe the show was called Motorweek Illustrated.... so he's hardly a carpetbagger in my book. And he does not produce Windtunnel, he's just the talent. Which means that he probably does not pick the segments that get aired......

And his motorcycle roots do not make him a bad guy, in my book. Imagine driving a sprint car with no cage and no belts! ANd only two wheels!

5 members like this post: badgerfan, IndyBound, jerrydt, jim goerge, REH24
6/1/10, 5:57 PM   #15
bandres21

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 46

he had a show called motoworld early 80's all motorcycle
Last edited by bandres21; 6/1/10 at 7:01 PM.

6/1/10, 7:11 PM   #16
1BIGracefan

You are all bashing a guy that probably has a semi scripted show anyway!! WHY?? He does the best he can with the show. Yeah we would all like more of the racing we enjoy but its NOT gonna HAPPEN!! Deal with it people.

Kyle

1 member likes this post: sprinter25
6/2/10, 1:16 AM   #17
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter25 View Post
Dave hosted one of the first racing highlight shows on WTBS(now TNT?) back in the mid-80's...I believe the show was called Motorweek Illustrated.... so he's hardly a carpetbagger in my book. And he does not produce Windtunnel, he's just the talent. Which means that he probably does not pick the segments that get aired......

And his motorcycle roots do not make him a bad guy, in my book. Imagine driving a sprint car with no cage and no belts! ANd only two wheels!
And to add to Chucks remarks, he does get marching orders on what goes on his show from the educated idiot that took over Speed Channel.....yeah, the same guy who dumped on Johnny Benson and Schrader. Wanted to appeal to the younger crowd....thats why Speed is so screwed up. Dave does have sprint car and late model collectables on his desk from time to time.....along with my Bell helmet we fixed up for him. But remember, his show is a talk/call in show about a variety of racing topics. Speed Report should be the show getting blasted about news coverage....they are the ones I think are failing us. But then again, did anyone from USAC or HOSS or whoever send any news release and video to Speed? It doesnt drop out of thin air. Maybe they did, I'm just asking. Dave does have Robin Miller on there, and I know he is on our side and does what he can. Does anyone ever try to call into Wind Tunnel and tell Dave what an awesome race they saw at THAT.....or to ***** about the delay and insufficient track prep? Let them know what you want to see.

Steve

3 members like this post: IndyBound, Pat O'Connor Fan, sprintsrule
6/2/10, 8:06 AM   #18
sprinter25

Steve....I'd bet Windtunnel callers are screened before they ever get on the air, so Dave gets to pick what hits the show. His producer probably wants callers that reflect the topics that are being discussed on that evening's show, just to maintain some continuity and flow to the show/ My point is that while you may call the show to offer a sprint car comment, it's not likely to hit the air unless it serves the "concept" of the show for that evening.....

ANd don't forget, both Speed Report and Windtunnel are only 60 minute shows, and have at least 12 minutes of commercials; that leaves 48 minutes to stuff a lot of info into.......and when you subtact time for intro's and final credits, either show probably has less than 35 minutes of content!

6/2/10, 8:40 AM   #19
Hubie

I only write to him to tell him that he sucks

6/2/10, 10:07 AM   #20
illinisprintfan

I think Speed was bought by Fox and they spent a ton of money for the right to broadcast nascar. It stands to reason that they would gear nearly everything on the channel to hype and provide exposure for their nascar product. It is was it is $$$$$$.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wind tunnel