IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > All I can say is, I hope not
1/24/08, 2:55 PM   #11
Re: All I can say is, I hope not
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post

There is actually much more to this story. The open-wheel "split" will come to a conclusion but not in "unification". There will be one series and one principal owner and his name is Tony George. Stay tuned ! :thumb:
That's my point. TG should give them NOTHING because they bring NOTHING to the table. They will die on their own. I say this is the last season for them regardless....if they even make it through this one. I wouldn't give them a voice on anything because there is no need to. I followed it for a while when guys from the old CART days still ran. Tracy is the only one left and I'm not much of a fan of the Jimmy Spencer of open wheel so I have zero interest.

An all road course (mostly made up of street circuts), 1 American, races on three or four different networks, and running over half the events outside the US is not the way to build a following in the US even for the most dedicated fan. :idea::doh: How hard is this to figure out? Makes me wonder how these dumb asses made millions to spend on trying to keep this crap afloat in the first place.

Cotman quitting to me was the last nail in the coffin. Miller thinks this guy is as good as it gets in running a race orginazation. Since RM hates everything, that makes me think he's pretty sharp. Rumor is he will be coming to the IRL.

1/24/08, 3:08 PM   #12
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
TG should give them NOTHING because they bring NOTHING to the table. They will die on their own

Tony George went to the Flea Market , walked around , took a look at what was there , didn't see anything worth bringing home ...

1/24/08, 3:24 PM   #13
RacinFool

IMO both sides are at fault. Is it not over who controls it? For the fan its all about Indy, tradition and mostly good racing. I believe and support the IRL :headbang:...Champ car and the late CART org. seems to want to create some international "spec" series giving oppurtunities to many forigien drivers that I frankly have never heard of.
Though the last few seasons i never seem to know when the races are on TV . As a fan and a racer I would like to see them both succeed but that could only be in a perfect world, And we all know that isn't the case. There are some great money teams in Champ car that could accent the IRL, And that is greatly needed.
I don't believe that NASCAR is out to do in INDY car racing in this day but I sure the hell feel that they don't mind watching them bleed either. I read in a earlier post that Paul Tracey has no intrest in racing in the IRL. Like him or not thats really to bad as he is exciting and fast. That couldn't hurt the IRL at this time. We all have are takes on what the problem really is. All i can do is speculate but unification would be a great step in moving forward in modern day Indy car racing. I would love to see bump day at Indy be exciting like in the past rather than a dog and pony show. This could happen if only the powers that be agree on one direction. Is that possible??? :confused:

1/24/08, 6:10 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinFool View Post
IMO both sides are at fault. Is it not over who controls it? For the fan its all about Indy, tradition and mostly good racing. I believe and support the IRL :headbang:...Champ car and the late CART org. seems to want to create some international "spec" series giving oppurtunities to many forigien drivers that I frankly have never heard of.
Though the last few seasons i never seem to know when the races are on TV . As a fan and a racer I would like to see them both succeed but that could only be in a perfect world, And we all know that isn't the case. There are some great money teams in Champ car that could accent the IRL, And that is greatly needed.
I don't believe that NASCAR is out to do in INDY car racing in this day but I sure the hell feel that they don't mind watching them bleed either. I read in a earlier post that Paul Tracey has no intrest in racing in the IRL. Like him or not thats really to bad as he is exciting and fast. That couldn't hurt the IRL at this time. We all have are takes on what the problem really is. All i can do is speculate but unification would be a great step in moving forward in modern day Indy car racing. I would love to see bump day at Indy be exciting like in the past rather than a dog and pony show. This could happen if only the powers that be agree on one direction. Is that possible??? :confused:

IMO Nascar is out to crush everything but in doing so, They are doing some of the very things that killed Cart and the IRL. Different networks, different dates, Lack of dates. They even promote Short track racing then move five events to saturday nights. Taking it off or making it unaffordable for a network to carry it.

One of the things that built it was SUNDAY 1PM RACING ON CBS! no frills! No Bull, No gouging The racers and the races are what built the sport, Not marketing. Now Nascar is micro managing to get every dollar possible and ruining it in the process

Make it easier to follow, know about and learn about. Have people in the cars THOUSANDS know about from their past and grow it from there

Chuck

1/24/08, 6:47 PM   #15
RacinFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
rubbish. CART gave drives to the drivers who earnt them, if they were American they were, if they weren't it didn't matter. Some of the most popular drivers in CART were Alex Zanardi, Paul Tracy and Juan Pablo Montoya. Not one of them was American.....CART ran a more open formula than formula one!
FYI I was speaking of Champcar in that vien. NOT CART! I live in the USA.We might see it a lot different-Tom

1/24/08, 7:07 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

A lot of things different I say. When a American series has less than half a American driver representation. There is naturally a move away from the sport in THIS COUNTRY, By god and maybe it's unfortunate but we don't know where they came from. In many Cases like the Guy whos family owned Panasonic, He was there only because he had the resources to do so.

Chuck, I highly doubt the WOO would be very popular here if 80 percent of them wern't american or even Nascar for that matter.

1/24/08, 7:55 PM   #17
turn4

IRL vs. CCWS............same ole, my lousy series is better than your lousy series!!!:headbang::angry-smiley-007::thumbsdown:

1/25/08, 10:53 AM   #18
wbr

Free Chassis, Free Engines, If Tony would throw in the tires too I'll run the entire IRL schedule this year:rolling:
well Jake or Clint would have to drive since I am spacially challenged.(thats Politically correct for too fat to fit in the car.):crying:

2/2/08, 8:30 PM   #19
Pat O'Connor Fan

Here is his latest, dated 1/28.
Another very good article, but it is about IRL vs CCWS again.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > All I can say is, I hope not