IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Morgan county speedway jacksonville il
12/6/09, 12:56 AM   #11
Re: Morgan county speedway jacksonville il
22crew

I dont know what you think I know, but it is not much. So think what you want. I helped you every chance I had to come out and help you. If it was mowing or what. I didnt ask for anything but a thank you. I even came out and pushed for some big shows you had and all i got was in for free, didnt get gas money for the night or couldnt have anybody come in with me. So just want to say you are welcome for all I did, even thow it was not much.

12/6/09, 9:52 AM   #12
Motormasher

Way to go Jacksonville, I hope wings come back all over the country. 10 times safer and cheaper not to mention how much better the car looks with one on it!

12/6/09, 1:10 PM   #13
RACER99W

Going back to car counts,does anyone know why they tried nonwing?Because the average car count for the wings was 12 to 14!
What was the average car count for farmington this year?
What was the average car count for a mass race?
What was the average car count for an invader race?
What was the average car count for an MSCS race?
These are the question the promoter should ask himself.
And go from there.

1 member likes this post: Haulerin2deep
12/7/09, 1:58 PM   #14
Al Soran

With wings or without, it's a tough sell. But, there are a lot of ways to get folks in the stands, and keep them coming that have little to nothing to do with sprint car racing. Sounds goofy to the hard-core fan, but how about giving a couple of local dirt bike kids free admission come pull a few wheelies or jump a few cars after the heats, or shoot some free t-shirts into the stands (I buy them 144 at a time for less than $3 ea), how about "free popcorn night" (it's cheap), draw a kids' name and let him get his photo taken with the feature winner on the track. Give away tickets! Butts in the seats bring more butts. I'm sure there is an endless list of cheap to free ways to make a night at the races much more entertaining. Mr. Hawks was a damn fine driver in my opinion, I hope he's half the promoter. Good luck.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
12/8/09, 9:14 PM   #15
flyer

AlSoran, I like the way you are thinking. There have been several discussions on ways to make the fans evening at the track more enjoyable. I think a track should have a huge playground with babysitters..lots of clowns (real clowns..not the Mahan type)...several go-karts with Speedway Man running around doing crazy stuff..and some kind of intermission show that may entice folks to come out even if they aren't race fans.
A night at the track should be more than just watching cars and trucks drive around in circles.
I believe that the weekly tracks with the slowing economy may become a thing of the past..with promoters opting to run only special shows.
I realize that all this would take more time and effort, but it may have to be done.
Racetracks are competing with television, (5897 channels) Playstations, internet,(Farmville) and other forms of entertainment that you can do at home....it's a tough sell.
BTW..AlSoran..I think you would be a pretty good promoter..try it

12/9/09, 8:04 AM   #16
illiNOISE

I agree with Al Soran about the need for goofiness at the races. One night at Pike County, we lined up the mini sprint trophy dash off the results of a "frozen t-shirt" contest. (1st driver to get the shirt on started on the pole.) We also always had a "candy dash" for the kids under age 12, where we would toss candy out on the front stretch after the trophy dash, give the kids a small paper sack, and let them have at it. Then the winning driver in the trophy dash would pick a little kid to give the trophy to.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
12/9/09, 9:26 AM   #17
Al Soran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer View Post
BTW..AlSoran..I think you would be a pretty good promoter..try it
I'm not that brave!

12/12/09, 11:55 AM   #18
progressive22

to the top:2:

12/12/09, 3:22 PM   #19
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiNOISE View Post
I agree with Al Soran about the need for goofiness at the races. One night at Pike County, we lined up the mini sprint trophy dash off the results of a "frozen t-shirt" contest. (1st driver to get the shirt on started on the pole.) We also always had a "candy dash" for the kids under age 12, where we would toss candy out on the front stretch after the trophy dash, give the kids a small paper sack, and let them have at it. Then the winning driver in the trophy dash would pick a little kid to give the trophy to.
They say that there is nothing new under the sun, but a "frozen t-shirt" contest? That is great. The old 1/4 mile Pittsfield Speedway (now known as Wal-Mart) had things like greased pig races (run 1/2 the feature, stop, catch the pig, restart) and corset races (same deal, put on a corset, restart). Perhaps some of the old traditions could be revived also.

12/12/09, 6:06 PM   #20
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
Just heard today that billy and kim west are not running the race track in 2010. It is going to be a guy that race a sprint car there a few years ago and is from jville. His name is bobby hawks. Just want to say best of luck to him, and look forward to a change.
Now I just need to find a job that allows me to get to Jacksonville on Friday nights.

Well really in this economy, any job will do.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Morgan county speedway jacksonville il