IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl reimagined
12/31/21, 4:35 PM   #11
Re: Chili Bowl reimagined
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I honestly don't like how the heats are watered down to maybe one or two (Stars) but by Feature time there's a good ten to fifteen who could win anytime, anywhere. Each night is better than even most USAC shows with eighty cars. So many heats, qualifiers and alphabet races that it's a hell of a six hour show, Virtually non stop. Saturday. Really don't pay attention until maybe G or F mains, there's not a chance for anything beyond that. By the E mains the competition is so stacked it's very hard to advance from the tail.

Leave it alone, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Pretty funny how FOR YEARS the heats always have those one or two big names in them...I find it hard to believe thats the luck of the draw...used to be predictable who would win or finish up front...oh well...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

12/31/21, 9:13 PM   #12
otgracing17

I think part of the allure to the Chili Bowl is the fact that any random Joe Blow can build a car and take a shot at it. Every year you typically have someone with relatively no name and a “privateer” that makes the show on Saturday night. I think that’s a part of the game. The chili bowl is one of the few giant races left in the world that this still happens. Kind of like a new wave Indy 500, if you can build it and get it there you can race. Ther are a few exceptions and most of the times those have made an attempt or two at it before banned. I think that’s a lot of the draw to it. The sort of David and Goliath that goes on in there. I’m not saying Saturday night won’t be won by a super team but there’s always that chance that someone can roll in there and make something happen. That’s what keeps the crowds and cars coming year in and year out.

12/31/21, 11:48 PM   #13
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

ok, i will say it. The Chilli Bowl has left the Indy 500 in the dust. It's the #1 open wheel race of the year. Hands down. Like mentioned here, it's wide open. Build a car and come compete. Indy is a complete joke. Daddy big bucks and your a driver :dead horse:

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/1/22, 12:50 AM   #14
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by otgracing17 View Post
I think part of the allure to the Chili Bowl is the fact that any random Joe Blow can build a car and take a shot at it. Every year you typically have someone with relatively no name and a “privateer” that makes the show on Saturday night. I think that’s a part of the game. The chili bowl is one of the few giant races left in the world that this still happens. Kind of like a new wave Indy 500, if you can build it and get it there you can race. Ther are a few exceptions and most of the times those have made an attempt or two at it before banned. I think that’s a lot of the draw to it. The sort of David and Goliath that goes on in there. I’m not saying Saturday night won’t be won by a super team but there’s always that chance that someone can roll in there and make something happen. That’s what keeps the crowds and cars coming year in and year out.
Exactly. Flagboy's original suggestion makes perfect sense for any other race, but then it wouldn't be The Chili Bowl. Kind of like the summer basketball tourneys where local legends can try to hang with former pros...

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
1/1/22, 11:56 AM   #15
flagboy55

Alright friends, now let’s take the top 100 out of the race. Lets only run the 200 that you don’t know or know very little about that basically have no chance on Saturday night. Would you still watch? And by the way, Happy New Year and thanks for your thoughts and ideas

1 member likes this post: oppweld
1/1/22, 12:44 PM   #16
cornerthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Alright friends, now let’s take the top 100 out of the race. Lets only run the 200 that you don’t know or know very little about that basically have no chance on Saturday night. Would you still watch? And by the way, Happy New Year and thanks for your thoughts and ideas
I would still attend.

1/1/22, 1:39 PM   #17
okie

might be a better show.drop either the top 100 or the bottom 100

1/1/22, 2:52 PM   #18
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I MIGHT watch it on Flo, & might go if I lived in the area, but no way would I spend a bunch of $$$ to travel there.....

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
1/1/22, 4:36 PM   #19
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Race for six days behind closed doors,weed em out. Spectators on saturday only. Doors open at 5p. There, settled

1/1/22, 4:44 PM   #20
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Spectators only on Saturday? Seriously? Last I knew the Chili Bowl was not a "non profit" race or agency.

2 members like this post: Blitzman, Ken Bonnema
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl reimagined