IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Steve Kinser
5/3/19, 9:30 AM   #11
Re: Steve Kinser
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Hopefully we can get the Inaugural Corn Belt Nationals to turn into something at least reminiscent of what the Nationals were in the non wing days. It will take a lot of support. Disappointed that an Indiana non wing club is actually running against it.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay for this event
If you are going with your family (wife/kids) I would look at Des Moines. It is a real easy drive to the track and the town is large enough to keep people entertained during the day. It will also give you more options for hotels.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
5/3/19, 9:38 AM   #12
ThePurple73

Chariton Iowa is just 25 miles south on highway 14 has hotels and restaurants, Easy drive to and from races. Town square.

5/3/19, 12:27 PM   #13
Vookie

The good old days.
Attached Images
10206869330504545.jpg (31.9 KB, 87 views)

3 members like this post: 2rock21, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
5/3/19, 2:16 PM   #14
ThrowbackRacingTeam

To this day not all tracks have ever shut down for the Nationals but some would and do. Putnamville has had this race established for a while and can't blame them for wanting to continue it. However, it would be good for the sport if as many people as possible supported Knoxville and their efforts to try to build a premier non-wing event in the Midwest, something that's been lacking for several years. If it were 3 nights I think that would have helped get more places to shut down and support a true Nationals but people need to realize this is the biggest opportunity Knoxville has given the non-wing cars and fans to build its own Nationals. With former non-wing guys like Mike Brooks and John McCoy having an influence on the board, the time is now for the non-wing people to unite and get on board with this. See you at Knoxville!!

5/3/19, 3:21 PM   #15
Rpracing1

8 hours to Knoxville
2.5 Hours to Putnamville
I will support local track and Mr. Gardner and be at Putnamville.

4 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, Pat O'Connor Fan, racefan20, tirespinner
5/3/19, 5:10 PM   #16
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Hopefully we can get the Inaugural Corn Belt Nationals to turn into something at least reminiscent of what the Nationals were in the non wing days. It will take a lot of support. Disappointed that an Indiana non wing club is actually running against it.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay for this event
They jack up motel prices in Knoxville for winged Nationals, not sure if they do the same for this event. Thee are motels in Knoxville, check hotels.com for prices
If they're expensive, I always stay in southern part of Des Moines, near airport, easy 35 minute drive to racetrack. I stay at el cheapo Motel 6, but there are nicer ones nearby....

5/3/19, 5:11 PM   #17
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Very jealous of people like you, that got to go to Knoxville in those days.
Well i'm jealous of Hoosiers who get to see wingless races every weekend!
But you can be jealous of me for going to Woodstock...

5/3/19, 5:43 PM   #18
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Brent I did say it was USAC on Friday night on my post and I dont remember leaving particularly late. They ran 3 support classes. There were more fans there than many of the sprintweek races last year. Frankly I'd rather honor my friend than drive all the way to Knoxville. They paid the usual USAC payout if you dont thonk thats enough then maybe you should ask USAC why they dont pay more for their shows. It was basically the same show that drew about a third of the crowd and a third of the cars as Bloomington ran last month at a USAC track. and oh by the way they paid the "minimum" purse too.
Well said. Please remember whom you are debating with. Don’t confuse him with the facts it’s not fair. Fortunately there will be two options for non wing racing that wknd. With the way weather has been this year multiple options are a good thing.

5/4/19, 12:47 AM   #19
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Brent I did say it was USAC on Friday night on my post and I dont remember leaving particularly late. They ran 3 support classes. There were more fans there than many of the sprintweek races last year. Frankly I'd rather honor my friend than drive all the way to Knoxville. They paid the usual USAC payout if you dont thonk thats enough then maybe you should ask USAC why they dont pay more for their shows. It was basically the same show that drew about a third of the crowd and a third of the cars as Bloomington ran last month at a USAC track. and oh by the way they paid the "minimum" purse too.
They ran 4 support classes that night, and it was 11:30 when I got to my car. To me that is a late night. I had been up at 5:15 for work, got off at 4 drove almost 2 hours to honor Bill. Then drove an hour and a half home (less traffic than Friday rush hour) and was at work at 7:30 am. To me it wasn't worth it. If USAC would have turned down a $25,000 to win show, people like you and yeleyfan 76 would be the biggest critics. Looks like USAC gave them another date I will more than likely go to that. Would even pay a little extra to get in if they made it a big deal.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
5/4/19, 6:34 AM   #20
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
They ran 4 support classes that night, and it was 11:30 when I got to my car. To me that is a late night. I had been up at 5:15 for work, got off at 4 drove almost 2 hours to honor Bill. Then drove an hour and a half home (less traffic than Friday rush hour) and was at work at 7:30 am. To me it wasn't worth it. If USAC would have turned down a $25,000 to win show, people like you and yeleyfan 76 would be the biggest critics. Looks like USAC gave them another date I will more than likely go to that. Would even pay a little extra to get in if they made it a big deal.
Brent one of the "support classes" was midgets which I dont really consider a support class. It ended at about the same time as the race you went to last night but I dont see you posting that it was too late this morning. If 11 o'clock is too late for you maybe you should consider not going on a work night. You have been to enough races to know that not every show ends at 10, especially with 2 push off divisions. The problem isnt that they decided to run a 25K to win show its that Joe and Shondra found out their sanction was gone the same way you and I did. No phone call to give them a heads up before it was announced nothing until much later when they decided to throw LPS a bone and replace their date. It was a lack of common courtesy. Keep drinking the kool-aid

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2 members like this post: bigq11, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Steve Kinser