IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Personal thoughts on Kokomo July 24th 2018
7/25/18, 3:59 PM   #11
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfOutlawsFan View Post
There's a reason why a lot of non wing drivers are going to wing. But you have your opinions and i have mine
Yes. Because it pays more to win/start on a more common basis.

Definitely not because the racing is better.

You made a user name to fill the board with World of Outlaws posts/results. Knowing full well this is a predominantly non winged site, what kinds of reactions were you expecting here?

7/25/18, 4:07 PM   #12
Re: Personal thoughts on Kokomo July 24th 2018
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfOutlawsFan View Post
There's a reason why a lot of non wing drivers are going to wing. But you have your opinions and i have mine
The reason is mostly money. But I do wonder how many winged shows he's seen if they all sucked. I've been to several this year and only 1 sucked.

2 members like this post: fish, flagboy55
7/25/18, 4:08 PM   #13
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Yes. Because it pays more to win/start on a more common basis.

Definitely not because the racing is better.

You made a user name to fill the board with World of Outlaws posts/results. Knowing full well this is a predominantly non winged site, what kinds of reactions were you expecting here?
Nunn has a good point though.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge
7/25/18, 4:24 PM   #14
Jerry Spencer

Really sorry you had a dissapointing night but here is something to think about, Kokomo had a ton of rain from Saturday till Monday and flooded everything in Howard County with that being said Kokomo could have just cancelled and that would be that. Instead as soon as they could they busted their asses on the track to open the gates so we could race and watch racing.

Normally you walk out before the sun goes down so a late ending is way out of the norm, really sorry but like somebody said please give the Kokomo Speedway another chance before the All Stars so you see exactly what everyone is talking about.

Again sorry you had a sub par night but thank you for the support and hope you try again soon

Be safe and hope to see you soon

Jerry #66j
Last edited by Jerry Spencer; 7/26/18 at 1:06 PM.

7/25/18, 4:28 PM   #15
hoosier race fan

Criticizing Kokomo is like a cardinal sin of this board. Be prepared for crucifixion.

The quality of racing is far more dependent upon the track configuration and racing surface than it is on the class of car. This wing vs. traditional sprint debate is just a great example of dim-witted immaturity. Like ********. The foolish tend to stand stubbornly on opposite sides.

Some tracks have great racing no matter what class, and other tracks have low quality racing no matter what class. I don’t think it would have made any difference whether it was wing or traditional sprints last night. The racing quality would most likely have been very similar. I’ve seen outstanding races at Kokomo in wing sprints, traditional sprints, late models, modifieds, and stocks. I’ve also seen stinkers in every one of those classes there.

If every Indiana track that currently runs traditional sprints switched to winged sprints, the racing quality would probably be very similar. If all the winged tracks in Pennsylvania switched to traditional, it would probably be similar quality there as well. Just watch the YouTube video of the USAC race at Williams Grove and compare the USAC race to the wing race on the same night. They are almost identical.

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, flagboy55, jim goerge
7/25/18, 4:44 PM   #16
Chris Nunn

I echo Hoosiers statement there. I've seen some damn good wing races on smaller bullring type tracks.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, PIT CART
7/25/18, 5:39 PM   #17
badcoupe

Money is the reason drivers jump ship. I’ve been to my fair share of wing races and the show as a whole just hasn’t impressed me in person or in tv. The dry slick conditions make it miserable to watch in person as you’re sandblasted the entire time and can’t really watch. Plus it’s usually follow the leader one line maybe two. Not near as much 3 or wide every lap as non wing racing. As a racer and fan midget and non wing Sprint is the better entertainment.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, Joe T, luckybuc97
7/25/18, 6:26 PM   #18
Speedmax3

The heat races last night wouldn't have been any better whether it was wing or non-wing. With the amount of rain we've had recently in the area and maybe with the amount of water put on the track during prep along with the comfortable temperatures instead of mid 90's the surface was unusually wet and heavy. How often do we get to say that about a dirt track in the middle of summer. Track personal recognized the situation and reworked the track before the B-main and A-main giving us multiple groove racing. Kudo's to them for doing that because if they hadn't it would have been two boring mains. The time it took to rework the track obviously caused a large delay which is unusual here as normally the program is over at a very reasonable time. The weather has not been a friend to any of the tracks for sprint week thus far with all the rain but they have done their best to give us good racing. I look forward to the rest of the week!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/25/18, 6:30 PM   #19
WorldOfOutlawsFan
Banned

Race Count This Year: 39
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
Money is the reason drivers jump ship. I’ve been to my fair share of wing races and the show as a whole just hasn’t impressed me in person or in tv. The dry slick conditions make it miserable to watch in person as you’re sandblasted the entire time and can’t really watch. Plus it’s usually follow the leader one line maybe two. Not near as much 3 or wide every lap as non wing racing. As a racer and fan midget and non wing Sprint is the better entertainment.
Different opinions. Last few non wing races i've been too haven't been to impressive i much prefer winged sprints vs non wing. Just a question, why do you think it is that non wing sprintcars/usac dont have any big paying races? If the racings better there should be high paying races. Winged racing for example has Knoxville nationals 150k. Mansfield 100k Kings Royal 50k Williamsgrove 50k Port Royal 50k etc. etc. no hate towards non wing im just genuinally curious
Last edited by WorldOfOutlawsFan; 7/25/18 at 6:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add a sentence

7/25/18, 6:34 PM   #20
Chris Nunn

Because around here. If you pay $1200 to win, or 10k to win, you're still going to get the same cars and drivers.

Wing cars, if you pay a big purse, you can draw from Ohio, Pennsylvania, iowa, etc. etc.

5 members like this post: dkdorkboy, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, motorhead748, nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Personal thoughts on Kokomo July 24th 2018