IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Backitin (Offline)
  #11 7/7/16 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
That's how I remember it too, chop, except I don't recall the ownership change. Sammy must not have had much success with it, otherwise everybody would've been storming the industrial supply houses to get a hold of the latest "Chrome Eagle"...
Thank God about the success part.
Sprintcars are all ready screwed up with the invent of the wing. They need less tech, not more. Just like Kenny Weld had huge plans and changes in store for sprintcars, thank god also that didn't work out or sprintcars would look like N.E. modifieds. Boring and almost impossible to work on.
chop (Offline)
  #12 7/7/16 10:48 AM
Sorry to the guy that started this post. We seem to have hi-jacked it. I talked to the old timer, not sure on all of this, but it is a fun way to add to the story. At the time Sammy was racing part time in sprints for TMC. They had started to race NASCAR bush. The car hauler was one of the first stacker style in sprint car racing. They got it to go stock car racing. But used it to race sprint cars. Because Sammy was part time sprint car racing, he made this car to try some stuff. At some point he did something wrong with the nascar stuff and got fired. So that was the end of this car being used. If this is right, he then started his own team that was the channel lock car. Was the old story teller right on this?
btg1963 (Offline)
  #13 7/8/16 4:15 AM
I'm not sure about the use of the Char-Lynn unit on the sprint cars, but we installed one on a late model back in the early '80s. Worked very well, but all feel disappeared. We had to put a piece of tape on the steering wheel to remind the driver where to hold the steering wheel so the front wheels were pointed straight. Ran it a half dozen or so times and scrapped it in favor of a power rack and pinion. Our Char-Lynn unit came off of an old Farmall M.