IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
cmiracingvids (Offline)
  #11 4/4/16 9:33 PM
Originally Posted by cws9:
The #1 thing for me is that I can load up and go to the track by myself with my 1000 cc mini sprint. It takes pit help to run a big car. And a pocket full of money. If you can consistently run top 5 in a mini you have a good chance of breaking even or maybe even making a few bucks.
This is the #1 reason I drive a mini and not a full size sprint car as well. That, and I don't have a garage. Very very affordable cars to keep racing. For
me personally, cheaper than a dirt go kart. I buy a lot of used midget tires.
2 Likes: Bill May, DAD
DAD (Offline)
  #12 4/4/16 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by RookieMove:
Somebody help me out here. A I stupid to think that I'm about to pay the same kind of money for a full size sprint car VS. a mini? Seems like I can pick up a roller for about the same price and used sprint car motors obviusly vary but ive seen plenty for well under $10K.

A lot of the cheaper minis are 600cc and the 1000cc stuff seems about the same as the lower end V8 cars.

What am I missing here?

Rookie

Sprint cars are not really entry level race cars>>>even the 305's require more man power and wallet power to field than the smaller 13" wheel race cars. Notice I said 13" wheels. The reason being is there is a new class on the horizon called a D2 Midget. They take a Mini Sprint Chassis and Install a 4 valve stock block engine out of a late model car, Install a Midget drive shaft and rear end and go racing. In fact a lot of guys buy an old Midget rolling chassis and install the motor. As time goes on if Mini Sprints are not careful the cost of new donor motors starting at $2500.00 to 3,000.00 now days compared to around $500.00 to $1500.00 for the car engine. Then taking into account other add on parts that will be required to that Motor cycle motor to a race car and the D2 concept starts looking pretty good.

In addition the D2 midgets also allow Mini Sprints to race with them, not so the other way around however. They are new and you would be a pioneer. USAC and PowerI have taken it upon them selves to nurture the class also. Several independent groups have also sprang up. Research D2 Midgets on face book and other web sites and educate yourself a little more before deciding on what you want to race. Go observe some races walk around the pits and ask questions of the racers and above all else have fun.

Honest Dad himself
TheSheriff (Offline)
  #13 4/4/16 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
Rookie

Sprint cars are not really entry level race cars>>>even the 305's require more man power and wallet power to field than the smaller 13" wheel race cars. Notice I said 13" wheels. The reason being is there is a new class on the horizon called a D2 Midget. They take a Mini Sprint Chassis and Install a 4 valve stock block engine out of a late model car, Install a Midget drive shaft and rear end and go racing. In fact a lot of guys buy an old Midget rolling chassis and install the motor. As time goes on if Mini Sprints are not careful the cost of new donor motors starting at $2500.00 to 3,000.00 now days compared to around $500.00 to $1500.00 for the car engine. Then taking into account other add on parts that will be required to that Motor cycle motor to a race car and the D2 concept starts looking pretty good.

In addition the D2 midgets also allow Mini Sprints to race with them, not so the other way around however. They are new and you would be a pioneer. USAC and PowerI have taken it upon them selves to nurture the class also. Several independent groups have also sprang up. Research D2 Midgets on face book and other web sites and educate yourself a little more before deciding on what you want to race. Go observe some races walk around the pits and ask questions of the racers and above all else have fun.

Honest Dad himself
The automotive d2 cars commonly run between $15,000- $25,000
Leohr46 (Offline)
  #14 4/5/16 7:31 AM
I have had and ran both for several years. I will tell you right up front that I love the sprint car. It's been a life long dream. The only bad part of it. It eats out of my wallet twice as fast as my mini did.
Backitin (Offline)
  #15 4/5/16 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids:
This is the #1 reason I drive a mini and not a full size sprint car as well. That, and I don't have a garage. Very very affordable cars to keep racing. For
me personally, cheaper than a dirt go kart. I buy a lot of used midget tires.
This could be my post and I would also add that they are self starting. I'm pretty much a one man gang when it comes to prepping our race stuff.
Chris Baue (Offline)
  #16 4/5/16 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by TheSheriff:
The automotive d2 cars commonly run between $15,000- $25,000
False.
3 Likes: Copperhead, DAD, TQ29m
DAD (Offline)
  #17 4/5/16 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Chris Baue:
False.

Chris

D2 Midgets are still in the middle of an identity crisis. People get them confused with National Midgets. $4500.00 for a slightly used roller $3000.00 for engine and add on parts. Makes $7500.00 investment in your D2 Midget program, of that $2500.00 is in re usable motor accessories. that can be reused when you freshen up your motor. A D2 Freshen up consist of going down to your local "pull a part" and jerking another Motor out.

Honest Dad himself
Chris Baue (Offline)
  #18 4/5/16 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
Chris

D2 Midgets are still in the middle of an identity crisis. People get them confused with National Midgets. $4500.00 for a slightly used roller $3000.00 for engine and add on parts. Makes $7500.00 investment in your D2 Midget program, of that $2500.00 is in re usable motor accessories. that can be reused when you freshen up your motor. A D2 Freshen up consist of going down to your local "pull a part" and jerking another Motor out.

Honest Dad himself
What's your point? I was in disagreement with the statement that d2 cars commonly cost 15,000-25,000 dollars.
2 Likes: DAD, TQ29m
DAD (Offline)
  #19 4/5/16 2:05 PM
chris

You will get old some day to>>>>I quoted the wrong post

Honest Dad himself
xoxide (Offline)
  #20 4/5/16 3:29 PM
Chris,
To a certain extent. I had about $23,000 into mine..... All depends on what approach you want to take....

Budget weekend racer wanting to tail the field and finish top 8 on a good day can buy a worn out midget and a junkyard motor for $6500-10,000

Weekend racer who enjoys running up front and having nice components/fresh motor/somewhat newish car can look to spend anywhere from $15-25,000.

I've seen both ways and if I'm gonna throw money away I'd prefer to have nice quality stuff and run up front.

And that's not counting spares, tires, etc.