IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Danny Burton (Offline)
  #11 8/23/08 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Fisher79:
I was all for the IRL when it first came about, but 12 years later what in the hell have we gained? We're right back to sqaure one: A series that's a mix of ovals, road courses and parking lot races, turbocharged engines and drivers who wouldn't know USAC from UMass. I love the 500, but all TG has done is waste 12 years of our time to arrive back at the same point, and fall behind NAPCAR doing it.

The only positive I think came from this was the fact that Billy Boat, Jack Hewitt, Steve Kinser and J.J. Yeley got to run in the 500. But even that didn't last, obviously.
Short version of above: CART Part II Only real difference is that now TG is in charge.

http://www.hoseheads.com/dannyb.html

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #12 8/23/08 11:41 PM
I like hearing all races at full volume. I know it's not good for me, but everyone has some vices, right? At Perris earlier this year, the cars were so quiet, and we were out in the middle of the desert? Have to wear plugs for NHRA though, don't have a death wish.
zeroracer (Offline)
  #13 8/24/08 12:55 AM
The only thing i really have to say about this is it is far closer to the future we are facing in consumer vehicles than the fake 2 door sedans and the non exsistent v-8 sedans from the world of nascar....

you are gonna see more and more 4 and 6 cylinders and turbos and deisels in the future so it really sounds like to me they are making a step to align themselves with the market we are facing in the near future

win on sunday sell on monday....

just a thought
Sprint63122 (Offline)
  #14 8/24/08 1:25 AM
I= Ignorant
R=Racing
L=League

Glad to see that they finally put the last nail in there coffin again.
1BIGracefan (Offline)
  #15 8/24/08 1:58 AM
JMO here. I prefer V8s they sound COOL! Turbos to me sound like weedeaters I dont care for them. Normally aspirated V8s that is Sprint Car, Silver Crown cars. 12 years ago TG had a good idea I think hes dropped the ball trying to bring back the glory of CART not gonna happen. Oh well its gonna be what it is so be it.
miledirt (Offline)
  #16 8/24/08 2:31 AM
Originally Posted by Fisher79:
I was all for the IRL when it first came about, but 12 years later what in the hell have we gained? We're right back to sqaure one: A series that's a mix of ovals, road courses and parking lot races, turbocharged engines and drivers who wouldn't know USAC from UMass. I love the 500, but all TG has done is waste 12 years of our time to arrive back at the same point, and fall behind NAPCAR doing it.

The only positive I think came from this was the fact that Billy Boat, Jack Hewitt, Steve Kinser and J.J. Yeley got to run in the 500. But even that didn't last, obviously.
Yep...what he said
dirtywhiteboy
  #17 8/24/08 7:23 AM
How well did the Buick turbocharged V6 do at Indy? It was great for qualifying and the maybe first 15-20 laps of the race before they self destructed. It was a bad design and not something that is a racable engine.

Could we see a return of the detuned Menard V6? I sure as hell can't stand the sound of those ARCA trucks they had at SPringfield and they ran V6's. The racing was no better either to me.

I never use to wear earplugs to the races at Springfield but did this year and will from now on. Best thing I did.
lovindirt
  #18 8/24/08 7:55 AM
I must of missed something some where, we were talking about normally asperated engines and putting mufflers on them , then some one says turbo's, a turbo makes it a not normally asperated engine. They are both fine they have there place. The sound, I love the noise, BUT, the human body can only take so much. And your hearing is a very important thing, and a very important part of our every day life , just think about not having it, how much life would suck. I for one think its ok to tone them down a bit. Just as long as its the same for all. I go to the track, I set in the stands and work on our race car in the pits and at home with the ear protection, I really do care about my health, although I am a little over weight. And I can tell you that hearing the Sprints from my front porch from 4 to 5 miles away from GasCity really gets my heart pumping big time. I'm ready to jump and go.

Jeff Sweat :shout : can you hear me now!
lovindirt
  #19 8/24/08 8:13 AM
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan:
Come off it. The IRL's engine note is the second worst in the world. The worst being that of the (no longer)Infiniti (not actually) Pro Series
I watched Ryan Newman race an electric car at Winchester, no noise 80 or so MPH, now that was boring with no noise. So I feel that that was the one that beats the Infinity Pro Series noise, now I feel this beats yours. HA. HA. now beat that.:applaud:

Jeff
dirtywhiteboy
  #20 8/24/08 8:42 AM
Originally Posted by lovindirt:
I watched Ryan Newman race an electric car at Winchester, no noise 80 or so MPH, now that was boring with no noise. So I feel that that was the one that beats the Infinity Pro Series noise, now I feel this beats yours. HA. HA. now beat that.:applaud:

Jeff
The absolute worst noise in the world is the sound of a padlock being put on a tracks gates for the final time.

That means no more racing at that track again.