IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
davidm (Offline)
  #11 4/9/14 9:04 AM
Originally Posted by 65 Push Truck:
Couldn't agree more Charles. Last year I posted that I thought that KL would be the new Target driver for 2014 when JPM wasn't rehired, and that it would be a success. Not many guys come along and nearly instantly get a feel for what the car is doing, and communicate that to the crew chief, and get to the front. I would fully expect, if given the opportunity, he could jump in a F1 or Indy car and be VERY competitive in just a short time.

I too believe he could be just as good in an IndyCar or F1 car, but some think different. If you don't have 10 years’ experience racing formula cars against rich Brazilians and Europeans in fields of 8 or 10 cars then you have no talent and could NEVER learn to race a rear engine car. And if you’ve ever raced dirt then you get an automatic snide look down the nose at the mere thought!
Gregg (Offline)
  #12 4/9/14 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by davidm:
I too believe he could be just as good in an IndyCar or F1 car, but some think different. If you don't have 10 years’ experience racing formula cars against rich Brazilians and Europeans in fields of 8 or 10 cars then you have no talent and could NEVER learn to race a rear engine car. And if you’ve ever raced dirt then you get an automatic snide look down the nose at the mere thought!
That is the mantra practically word-for-word of one particular Trackforum poster.
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #13 4/9/14 10:35 AM
Yeah, Didn't Mario kick their tails in everything he ever drove at some point?

Charles Nungester
65 Push Truck (Offline)
  #14 4/9/14 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Yeah, Didn't Mario kick their tails in everything he ever drove at some point?
I was looking at Mario's records. It's amazing, LeMans, F1,Indycar, USAC sprint/midget paved/dirt, Nascar etc. you name it and Mario not only raced it, but won everything.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, FHeinz15h
cecil98 (Offline)
  #15 4/10/14 2:56 AM
Originally Posted by 65 Push Truck:
I was looking at Mario's records. It's amazing, LeMans, F1,Indycar, USAC sprint/midget paved/dirt, Nascar etc. you name it and Mario not only raced it, but won everything.
Look at Parnelli. Pretty good sprint/midget driver on dirt or pavement. Won Indy, NASCAR (Riverside 500), LA Times Grand Prix (against John Surtees and other F1 notables), Pikes Peak Hill Climb, Baja 500, Baja 1000 (record holder), TransAm champion (against Mark Donahue and many other world class road racers).... not bad for a "Spridget" driver..
8 Likes: Charles Nungester, DAD, FHeinz15h, luckybuc97, mc/rider, Mud Packer, racenut69, team3521
65 Push Truck (Offline)
  #16 4/10/14 8:41 AM
Originally Posted by cecil98:
Look at Parnelli. Pretty good sprint/midget driver on dirt or pavement. Won Indy, NASCAR (Riverside 500), LA Times Grand Prix (against John Surtees and other F1 notables), Pikes Peak Hill Climb, Baja 500, Baja 1000 (record holder), TransAm champion (against Mark Donahue and many other world class road racers).... not bad for a "Spridget" driver..
Cecil you can't smash words together, it just ain't right. Spriget that's a new one on me.
I hadn't even thought of Parnelli Jones, another great driver. Seems today drivers under contract don't get the opportunity to branch out and get behind the wheel of many types of cars like Parnelli/Mario, or they aren't allowed to by contract.
SP Motorsports (Offline)
  #17 4/10/14 5:19 PM
You can't have this conversation without including a four letter word...F-O-Y-T
3 Likes: Action Tracker, davidm, mc/rider
  #18 4/10/14 5:40 PM
Id include both elder Unsers and a select few others in the GOAT in multi race venues.

Yeah, I think the contracts they sing have a lot to do with what they're allowed to do, However with Ganassi there is the GTP and Indy venues of which he already competed in the 24 of Daytona.

He'll have to get though his first contract with good success and then he'll pretty much be able to write his contract.

Charles Nungester
racenut69 (Offline)
  #19 4/10/14 6:28 PM
Follow the MONEY! It's what makes the world turn,these days...

There is always room for one more in the corner! I'm disguised as a responsible adult!...
Michael Carter....
  #20 4/10/14 7:48 PM
Originally Posted by racenut69:
Follow the MONEY! It's what makes the world turn,these days...
Kyles never bought a ride as far as I know. All on talent and like I said, from a couple car owners I've talked too. He made a believer out of them with his natural ability to find speed and put it to the ground..

Charles Nungester