IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #11 11/22/13 3:11 PM
Because they put on a great show for the fans and is something different! 2-4 shows, not every week. Sprints put on a good show there and are fun to drive there too!
johnnythunderhead (Offline)
  #12 11/22/13 5:10 PM
here I thought they ran midgets weekly?
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #13 11/22/13 5:13 PM
Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead:
here I thought they ran midgets weekly?
Give them time and I think that they will. They have done a great job building car count and it seems that the owners & drivers appreciate their efforts. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Midget18 (Offline)
  #14 11/22/13 5:51 PM
They normally try to run 10-12 races for the midgets and I see them keeping that amount. I think if they go to run them weekly it will hurt the car count. Most of the cars that run are on a limited budget.... Weekly shows will only make the engine bill more. These little engines can't run 20-30 shows like sprints

They are doing an awesome job. They were able to double their points find from last year and I think they are going to try and double it again.

I have heard rumblings about a couple sprint car shows but not on a weekly bases.....

If we continue to support them they will keep giving us a local track to run
7 Likes: cwfan08, DAD, jjones752, Mud Packer, nathans1012, PJ Wright, WBR 3E
BrianBSU23 (Offline)
  #15 11/25/13 9:58 AM
I will address some of the comments on this thread to let everyone know what is going on.

The Midgets will remain our focus for the 2014 season. The schedule will include a minimum of 10 dates like the previous 2 seasons with a possible expansion to a maximum of 12 dates. The schedule will look similar to previous seasons in terms of Midget dates and the weekends they coincide. It's not our intention to schedule any additional dates beyond the 10-12 at the Montpelier Motor Speedway.

2014 will be another pivotal year for the Midgets at Montpelier. During 2013, we were thankful that the teams and drivers supported the track and series early in the year. By mid-season, we had nice crowds and fields of cars following the series. We did double our points fund from the first year and we want to increase it again (The checks for those not attending the banquet were mailed last week). There are a lot of things we would like to do with the Midget program in the future, but it all comes down to car/owner and fan support and hopefully 2014 will be another building stone.

We've been contacted by and contacted a few sanctioning bodies in hopes of aligning ourselves for a couple of special shows in 2014. It is possible we could have sprint cars at Montpelier next season, but it would be for special only type of shows. Right now we are planning stages on this and will see if the Saturday's available coincide with what we would consider a good date for a quality show for our fans. Again, at this time we are not looking at a weekly show, but you may be able to catch a special or two.

We have no intentions of moving from Saturday night's. We work closely with Gas City and Kokomo and share the same Modifieds and Stock cars. Fans in this area already have great options for good racing in this area on Friday and Sunday nights.

The wall expansion upgrade is the next piece to improve the racing and facility at the Montpelier Motor Speedway. The current project wasn't done for any specific class. We felt it would improve racer and fan safety greatly and will also be a major upgrade of the facility and the overall appearance. The Hunter family and crew have worked very hard putting improvements into MMS. The facility is 110 years old and needed some attention when they purchased it. You should notice upgrades and facility improvements each season.

Keep supporting us. We are listening and reinvesting in local short track racing!
30 Likes: 2fast4u, Adams44, BrentTFunk, Can26, cmiracingvids, cwfan08, cws9, DAD, dkdorkboy, Drew Tarr, erich45, fish, JazzTrombonist, jjones752, johnnythunderhead, LUCKYONE, Mud Packer, nedra_bahler_835@com, PatrickMead#13, PAW, PJ Wright, racing2bwithu2, rightrear, ROSS, Sandy Lowe, spicoli, sprintracer82, tamati, TommyTipover, WBR 3E
  #16 11/25/13 10:45 PM
I've got the best damn sprint car racing in indiana 15 mins from home, so its gonna take a lot to lure me away some sat nite!
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #17 11/26/13 2:32 AM
I like the Burg too, Johnny, but they don't run every Saturday. Montpelier is one hell of a Sprint Car track!
Sprintcarfanatic (Offline)
  #18 11/26/13 7:48 AM
1st time at Montpelier was for a Gloss show a few years ago. I'd come over for another show like that. Would there be enough bleachers for an All Star show ??
I did want to stay and watch the stockers run there features when I went over but them doggone mini's kept spinning out & I left. Btw that Gloss show was the 1st time I seen the Madman Paul May & I seen why they call him that.
Mr. Quinn keeps ribbing me about coming over ( I'd like too ) but man it's hard to travel when I have Limaland & Waynesfield in my backyard.
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #19 11/27/13 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Sprintcarfanatic:
1st time at Montpelier was for a Gloss show a few years ago. I'd come over for another show like that. Would there be enough bleachers for an All Star show ??
I did want to stay and watch the stockers run there features when I went over but them doggone mini's kept spinning out & I left. Btw that Gloss show was the 1st time I seen the Madman Paul May & I seen why they call him that.
Mr. Quinn keeps ribbing me about coming over ( I'd like too ) but man it's hard to travel when I have Limaland & Waynesfield in my backyard.
Was that the night the lights went out after the B main or the make up a few weeks later when they ran double features? That GLOSS series had some awesome shows. I remember Boston Reid jumping out to a huge lead in the make up feature, then spinning out trying to pass a lapped car. He did a quick 360 and kept it going but was caught and passed by Kraig Kinser. Kraig went on to win both features.

I think 10-12 midget shows is perfect. Picking and choosing good nights to race the class is a very smart choice that helps to ensure good car counts and fan support. Running them as a weekly class could jeopardize what they have developed. They still rely a lot on teams from several hours away, and asking them to make that drive every week may turn some away.

I'd love to see a couple other specials mixed in with late models or winged sprints. Indiana is saturated with non-wing shows, and any race Montpelier tries to schedule for them will likely have multiple other tracks running the same night. Let Gas City, Waynesfield, and Kokomo handle sprints. Run something different and keep building a strong base of fans that enjoy the program you're able to provide.
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, PatrickMead#13
  #20 11/27/13 7:03 PM
I will no doubt make it up there at least once in 2014, hopefully a sprint/ midget double header/ keep up the good work up there, I only wish we had more midget racing down this way!