IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
mortboyz
  #11 10/2/12 5:00 PM
It has also been said in the St. Louis area newspapers that the new proprietor at Gateway Raceway Park (formerly Gateway International) is attempting to get the Indy Cars back at that 1.25 mile facility...
nowingsjeff (Offline)
  #12 10/2/12 6:02 PM
I'm sure many of you on here remember when Robin Miller used to bad mouth the IRL. His negative comments definitely hurt the growth and acceptance of the IRL. That's when the IRL had short track drivers like like Tony Stewart, Donnie Beechler, Billy Boat, Davey Hamilton & other local hero's. Not to mention the oval racing that was the closest and fastest side by side racing ever witnessed in any series, ever. It didn't matter to Miller, he hated TG, so he bad mouthed them right down the drain. Now the shoe is on the other foot and he's crying foul. Can you say KARMA?
4 Likes: jdull99, pjohnson, racer5c, TNRustler
jdull99 (Offline)
  #13 10/2/12 10:41 PM
Ya, was just noticing how GOOD results guys like Boat & Beechler DID have! I think I was one of the few to appreciate at the time! If corporate America woulda got behind AMERICAN SHORT TRACK VETERAN (NOT 12 YEAR OLDS) DRIVERS; Indycar woulda had a chance...

Thought same thing as others pointed out about Robin...he still calls out "no-names" from the IRL years!!! There were guys from the sprint car & midgets AND supermods (like Paul Durant he wrote about at the end of the summer) that actually HAD fans racing IRL!!!
Bill Gardner (Offline)
  #14 10/3/12 9:17 AM
Originally Posted by :
MILLER: The Cult Of Negativity

The message that IndyCar is always in upheaval or needs a new direction is as damaging as it is inaccurate. The constant negativity has to stop.
Remove the word IndyCar and substitute anything and the statement will still be true.

8 Likes: 767, dirtball, I Miss Manzy, KRJoyce1, Mud Packer, OTSNWR, pjohnson, Quick Change
767 (Offline)
  #15 10/3/12 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by mortboyz:
It has also been said in the St. Louis area newspapers that the new proprietor at Gateway Raceway Park (formerly Gateway International) is attempting to get the Indy Cars back at that 1.25 mile facility...
I watched the NHRA from there last weekend. Paul Page was talking about the entire facility had been inproved. He said that included the oval facilities as well. I knew the schedule release was coming later that night. I was wondering if anything had developed. This would be another decent track to add.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #16 10/3/12 8:42 PM
Just something to think about, the IRL has always lost money, maybe the board at IMS is tired of losing money and is wanting the sale. It is my understanding that the oval tracks have all been rented and promoted by the IRL. I know Las Vegas last year, and Fontana this year they leased the track. I know the brickyard 400 was the cash source before and has fallen on very hard times. This may be the only chance.
767 (Offline)
  #17 10/4/12 9:31 AM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
Just something to think about, the IRL has always lost money, maybe the board at IMS is tired of losing money and is wanting the sale. It is my understanding that the oval tracks have all been rented and promoted by the IRL. I know Las Vegas last year, and Fontana this year they leased the track. I know the brickyard 400 was the cash source before and has fallen on very hard times. This may be the only chance.
Its apparent you were not at this years Indy 500. They have there cash source. The other thing is IndyCar is not leasing all of the ovals. Iowa puts on there own race. Milwaukee was put on by Andretti and the track. Texas puts on there own race. If they did not Eddie Goosage would not be all over the TV. So Fontana might have been leased, but they did have a title sponsor for the race. Poconno next season is putting on its own race. IRL was huge cash losses. It has not been said where this season is going to end up. Having IZOD as a title sponsor has helped alot to.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #18 10/4/12 9:45 AM
I should have been more clear. To go to an ISC track they are having to lease the track. That is why they are not at Chicago or Kansas. I have been to both those and they were great races. Sorry for the confusion. Now off to the Gold Crown.
barny oldfeller
  #19 10/5/12 9:21 PM
i thought the irl was long dead/ seems like all indy car racing powers that be wanna race on is parking lots n bumpy-ass city streets
cecil98 (Offline)
  #20 10/6/12 8:28 PM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
Whatever has to happen to get more ovals back on the schedule!

Posted via Mobile Device
The problem with this group is that, with the exception of TG, they are all dedicated hard core road racing people. They were the problem to begin with (ala CART).