IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
TQ29m (Offline)
  #11 3/4/10 6:18 PM
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne:
So, really what your saying is that you have no idea?
Uh yes, I do, having built several myself. I think it's the question that's throwing everyone off. Also, considering the question, I think most of the answers are spot on. Also, you'll find, as a lot have, that your attitude has a lot to do with the answers, maybe you should try to read more, and ask less, sometimes that's the way you find answers, and drifting just a little from where you are right now, might find you unable to log on to the website in the future. Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt, but as you say, your user name says it all. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #12 3/4/10 11:25 PM
In a nutshell the sprint is a monster with 4 wheels and will eat you alive if you or somebody makes a mistake. Consider 800hp+ under foot in a 1500lb car no clutch, flywheel, or starter. It's either in gear out of gear through a "Slider" and are push started. They have magneto for an distributor so there is no battery either (heavy). It runs on technically a solvent called Methanol (wood grain alcohol) never drink this stuff it will kill you.
They have bars and shocks for suspension pieces (some have coil over shocks to replace the other pieces). These can be changed for each track you as they are different sizes and banking. The wing (if so equiped) can be moved forward / backward, sideways, steeper or flatter. The top wing adds about 2000 lbs of down force and the nose wing around 800 I believe.There are so many adjustments you can really screw yourself up if you don't keep a logbook. There is a quick change rear where you pull the cover off to change the gears. This is also regulated by track size, dry slick, tacky and shape. Some even have a way to change the brake bias from more front to rear braking. If the car is pushing adjust for more rear brakes that way the cars rear will slide out over rulling the push. Sprints also have 2 to 3 brakes on them, the right front has no brakes this helps to get into the corner better. A brake on the left front an inboard brake and maybe a right rear brake. The inboard brake is right under the fuel tank so be carefull with this one. It helps pull the front end down when entering the corner when you use the brake because of the torque tube. The torque tube is what the driveshaft runs through and helps transfer the weight of the car on acceleration and braking. Midgets I believe are pretty much the same as I've never worked on them.
Anyway most of the drivers I've worked for just go to the end of the straight and turn left. If it were a road course they'd get lost.
Does this help, if you really want to learn find a team in your area find out what night they work on the car and go hang out there. It's usually more relaxed than at the track. If not hang out at the track with a small team that you like. Thats how I got started, the driver kicked me in the leg while under the car telling me to get a 9/16th wrench. I stuck my head under the car and told him to stop kicking me and tell me where it's at I'd get it for him. That was 1974.
v8j (Offline)
  #13 3/5/10 12:35 AM
WOW ! some of you faild that test
dant (Offline)
  #14 3/5/10 3:55 PM
Originally Posted by v8j:
WOW ! some of you faild that test
7 Words and you misspell one...
9racing (Offline)
  #15 3/9/10 4:01 PM
Originally Posted by dant:
7 Words and you misspell one...

5 words and you MISSPELLED one!
dant (Offline)
  #16 3/10/10 3:10 PM
Originally Posted by 9racing:
5 words and you MISSPELLED one!
Main Entry: mis·spell
Pronunciation: \ˌmis-ˈspel\
Function: transitive verb
I was just playing with V8j...I notice he didn't choose to answer the original post...so now you explain how a sprintcar/midget works..and please in 500 words or less