IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
jjones752 (Offline)
  #11 3/18/21 3:36 PM
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo:
Anyone know who the other driver was?
Anton Julian; we were in the H Main and KTJ had transferred out of the I. It was almost impossible not to have contact. I started 2nd and Anton was 4th and somehow I managed to keep a transfer spot for about 3 of the 6 laps before I was passed on the inside, and then a lap later I unintentionally got into that guy's sidepod. We were locked together briefly and the 3 karts behind us (including Anton and KTJ) got by. KTJ was skirting with the rules all night by riding the outside guardrail and being very aggressive, but didn't seem to like it very much when he was treated in kind. I didn't see them get together but I'm pretty sure it was after the checkers, and I sure saw the aftermath when I came back around. Anton was amazingly calm afterwards and told me he was just wondering what KTJ thought he could accomplish by pounding on the top of his helmet...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
6 Likes: 95KART, Beinthecircle, Chief Wahoo, chrismattlin, Dirt Track Cowboy, K92
jjones752 (Offline)
  #12 3/18/21 3:45 PM
Incidentally, I had fallen for one of the oldest tricks in the book when before the race Anton told told me "you stay high and I'll follow you; that way we'll stay out of the trouble on the bottom". Well, the green flew and as we came out of 2 I felt somebody trying to squeeze into the half-kart space between me and the pole sitter; guess who? It didn't work though and like I said above I managed to hang onto second. Was Anton being aggressive? Sure he was but he didn't try to dump me or anything. Was I ready to thump him? Heck no, I thought it was hilarious, but I sure gave him an earful (in fun) after the dust had settled from the hockey fight.

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
2 Likes: Beinthecircle, Dirt Track Cowboy
Will Shunk (Offline)
  #13 3/18/21 5:05 PM
I saw it immediately as KTJ ejected from his kart and swarmed over the trailing kart driver. I have been very impressed with KTJ over the past 5 years or so calming his image and remaining in control under many questionable circumstances. Shocked to see and too bad he popped the cork during this event. Please, I do not condone this behavior, but I also have never raced in competition. I would hate to see this incident cause the loss of sponsors. So when you bash KTJ you can not glorify Bob K, Steve K, Jack H, AJ, etc. Passion fuels our love for this sport and it sometimes causes incidents we are not proud of. Looking forward to next weeks racing on USAC FB page.
3 Likes: 95KART, chrismattlin, svfd830
Kendall2020 (Offline)
  #14 3/18/21 7:28 PM
I jut read on twitter he broke his hand and will miss some races. Not sure if
that is fact or fiction, its twitter so wo knows
2 Likes: jjones752, Ken Bonnema
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #15 3/18/21 7:44 PM
Let’s remember this was a charity event and not a actual “race”. Sure the drivers are always gonna be competitive and don’t like to loose. Big difference here fellas. Windom dumping Buckwalter, doubt if anyone would take issue to Steve pounding him in the helmet. Charity event with god knows who’s there? Not a way to impress the judges, event planners, sponsors etc...

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
7 Likes: 95KART, billw, Dirt Track Cowboy, jjones752, Ken Bonnema, midget39, spicoli
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #16 3/18/21 8:52 PM
Curious if there will be a statement from any sanction body on this?
Jonr (Offline)
  #17 3/18/21 9:49 PM
So, besides it being a charity event, it was at a go cart track. I don't know that I have enter sat down at a go cart track without the knowledge that I was either going to get dumped, or dump someone or probably both.

The last time my nephew and me went to a go-cart track it became an all out war. We were going after each other so much that when our race was over the track management came over to tell us to leave for the day. Our money was no longer any good.
3 Likes: jjones752, Ken Bonnema, spicoli
JL (Offline)
  #18 3/18/21 9:54 PM
Why does everyone immediately default to KTJ being an idiot?
Any clue what ran up to this to cause the fight? Is the other dude completely innocent of anything ignorant?
I've had to jerks fire me up to the point where I would go at them in a church and never think about repercussions until later.
Its not that big of a deal.
We all hear a ton of complaints of drivers being emotionless and neutered in interviews or in public because of sponsors etc.
Someone shows a a bit of temper anywhere or mouths some ***** when a microphone is shoved in their face when they are HOT and everyone wants to troll them as bad role model or an idiot.
I think I will go buy my first KTJ T-Shirt just for being a normal dude instead of the robot everyone thinks he (any driver) needs to be.
10 Likes: 95KART, chrismattlin, Hoosiersprinter, jdull99, kcarm92, martz32, opnwhlmnd, svfd830, TQ29m, Will Shunk
spicoli (Offline)
  #19 3/19/21 12:37 AM
What was the charity?
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #20 3/19/21 1:48 AM
I believe the charity is Children with Dyslexia. Go to page 2 on IOW and you can find the promotional post