IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Blacki-Suede (Online)
  #11 5/15/19 9:25 PM
The “new” ‘burg and the “old” burg are two completely different animals. However the racing on the 1/4 mile, while slower, was in my opinion more exciting and less stress on engines and tires. I don’t remember running around the light poles, and I believe the RPMs turned on either track would be close to the same (different gear). Maybe I am old school, but Gaines, Wilkerson, Black, Ferkel, Gilstrap, Staab, etc. ran the ‘ burg regularly, and they were big names in sprint car racing at the time. Not knocking today’s weekly ‘burg drivers, but.....

Blacki-Suede
6 Likes: Big Mike 7, bigq11, Bill May, Eatin Dirt, motorhead748, tirespinner
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #12 5/16/19 7:51 AM
Perhaps I was missunderstood. IDK.

When I said down around the light poles, I meant the current light poles. Opening night this year the track was cut down all the way too em almost. That measurement is a 1/4 mi or about equal to the old track.

Everyone has their preference, I get it. I just mean there aren't many places to watch a sprint stretch it's legs. Burg is one of them.

If you think you can't tear up motors just as fast on the 1/4. Ask Billy Boat how many motors Chad went thru their first year in a sprint.

I was there during the 70s-80s-90s, I seen some great mel johnson tracks and some great racing on the 1/4. I also seen a ton of dud's and many seasons we raced a half dozen or less times due to rain or river. Today we have a couple dozen 1/4s and larger within a hundred miles of indy. My god, catch both. Enjoy!

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: erich45, PIT CART
brsteg (Offline)
  #13 5/16/19 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Perhaps I was missunderstood. IDK.

When I said down around the light poles, I meant the current light poles. Opening night this year the track was cut down all the way too em almost. That measurement is a 1/4 mi or about equal to the old track.

Everyone has their preference, I get it. I just mean there aren't many places to watch a sprint stretch it's legs. Burg is one of them.

If you think you can't tear up motors just as fast on the 1/4. Ask Billy Boat how many motors Chad went thru their first year in a sprint.

I was there during the 70s-80s-90s, I seen some great mel johnson tracks and some great racing on the 1/4. I also seen a ton of dud's and many seasons we raced a half dozen or less times due to rain or river. Today we have a couple dozen 1/4s and larger within a hundred miles of indy. My god, catch both. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsie86Tbfe4