IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?
2/23/10, 10:44 PM   #11
Re: Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero410scja View Post
ya know one won from the front row in the 30's,40's,50's,60's,70's,80's,90's or 00'sit just started.damion probably would have won from the 4th row in florida.

It's 3 races not 3 years slow your roll.
ok your right! But when is the last time you seen somebody start last at a usac 30 lap sprint car race and win it?

2/23/10, 10:55 PM   #12
Pine

Didn't Jerry Coons Jr. do it last year at Manzanita....

I want to have a couple drinks with ya Duke on one of my trips to Indiana this summer....
Last edited by Pine; 2/23/10 at 10:57 PM.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
2/23/10, 11:13 PM   #13
torqueball

I'd have to agree with Mr. Short on this. Also I dont believe a team would see any substantial savings from outlawing cockpit adjustments. What savings would one see? 4 shock cables and a weight jacker(i dont even run one). When we are dealing with 15-30 thousand dollar engines and $200 tires, I dont think getting rid of $150 worth of shock cables (which lasted me 2 seasons) is going to change anyones fortunes. I spend far more money on tear-offs than cockpit adjustment devices.

Just my 2 Cents

1 member likes this post: StandOnThePedal
2/23/10, 11:14 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
ok your right! But when is the last time you seen somebody start last at a usac 30 lap sprint car race and win it?
Coondog at Manzy, Damion at Lburg started like 14th and won. Theres more

2/23/10, 11:58 PM   #15
DonMoore10

Sprint tires are way too big, IMO. Most of the time when I go to a sprint race, I can't even see the track for the dirt and S%^T that they throw as they go by. When you have to wear combat gear to a race track to enjoy the show, there's something wrong.

3 members like this post: GregD, Pat O'Connor Fan, SUPERDUKE
2/24/10, 12:11 AM   #16
Bill Gardner
Administrator

The Tires are not the problem... The lack of passing is a matter of guys not being able to hit the setup. All of the teams as a group are just not familiar with these tracks. Before this year... when was the last time these teams competed in nonwing sprint cars at either East Bay or Tucson? When the teams come back to Indiana, you will see plenty of passing.

1 member likes this post: v8j
2/24/10, 2:15 AM   #17
Tripcrwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
Hunter (100%) @ Kokomo during the summer a couple of years ago.

2/24/10, 8:27 AM   #18
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I seen larry dickson and gary bettenhausen both do it in strange cars after theres blew up!

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nungester View Post
coondog at manzy, damion at lburg started like 14th and won. Theres more
was that 30 laps?

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoore10 View Post
sprint tires are way too big, imo. Most of the time when i go to a sprint race, i can't even see the track for the dirt and s%^t that they throw as they go by. When you have to wear combat gear to a race track to enjoy the show, there's something wrong.
most of this kids just don't know! We raced a lot of sun afternoon races and had good tracks cause we was diggin in the track where the new track was!

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill gardner View Post
the tires are not the problem... The lack of passing is a matter of guys not being able to hit the setup. All of the teams as a group are just not familiar with these tracks. Before this year... When was the last time these teams competed in nonwing sprint cars at either east bay or tucson? When the teams come back to indiana, you will see plenty of passing.
the wide tires are a big problem!

2/24/10, 8:48 AM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yes, Both Demon's and Coondogs were 30 lappers and If Im not mistaken, Coon's was after he was put to the tail for being late to the lineup chute. Coons also came from 16th to fourth at the Hulman last year.

Personally and its only my view, Is tires are a ton of the reason for both many things good and many things bad. When a tracks tacky and the cushions the only place to be. You got 20 cars running qualifying laps, IMHO this is bad, Might as well throw the checkered after one lap because the lineup after that isn't going to change much. If drivers had to lift it would be more a battle of who's got the biggest pair than HP.

I never remember Gaines/Wilkerson/Millburn/Krebs/ and maybe Super Duke Cook flat footing it around the Burg. Matter of fact, I think the first time I seen it was the late 80s and Hoffmans car, Damn near lapped the field. The next weekend Staab did the same thing and flat footed the whole track the whole race (This was NW)

The Good, Speeds are incredible. We still get great racing a ton of the time.

The Bad, Lower HP teams often suffer especially on tacky tracks, I still see em do very respectable and even win on the slicks but it seriously is affecting how many cars show up at the track. A ton of teams are avoiding the SUPER TACKY TRACKS and attending the slicker and smaller tracks that you have to lift if your over Horsepowered for the track.

Chuck, YMMV
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/24/10 at 8:52 AM.

2/24/10, 8:57 AM   #20
duel

narrow em! it would make the field as a whole less wide, more room on the track. 4 to 6 inches would make a big difference in competition in my view.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?