IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joe Leonard USAC National Champion
3/3/10, 8:13 PM   #11
Re: Joe Leonard USAC National Champion
BrentTFunk

I will always consider Joe a hero for coming to Mel Kenyon's aid at Langehorne.

3/3/10, 8:59 PM   #12
aXe

I first saw Joe race back about 1958 at Belmont spdwy in ca > A winner no matter how many wheels it had!
That night he did an exhibition of Rear wheel riding went around that 1/4 mi track several times. He had the worlds record for doing that at one time.
I saw him on bikes and also midgets, supers and indy cars. He could drive, ride anything. and win!
aXe

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
3/3/10, 10:50 PM   #13
!
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXe View Post
I first saw Joe race back about 1958 at Belmont spdwy in ca > A winner no matter how many wheels it had!
That night he did an exhibition of Rear wheel riding went around that 1/4 mi track several times. He had the worlds record for doing that at one time.
I saw him on bikes and also midgets, supers and indy cars. He could drive, ride anything. and win!
aXe
Amen Den!!....very nice!!...as he was a Hero of mine,growin up in his HomeTown of San Jose!!...and I, also in da Two Wheel sport,back in da day....he n' Evil Kneivel would come by the Neat little Greek Bar n' Grill called Creekside Inn,which is where I got a SnootFull last Sat Nite,to BS their BarTender Bud n' shake Dice!!....durin the time da IRS was lookin for Evil!!.....Talk bout some Ole' Racin' stories from them two!!....

3/4/10, 2:03 PM   #14
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I believe that I saw Joe race a Ray Nichels Dodge on the USAC stock car circuit also, if memory serves me correctly.

3/5/10, 6:41 PM   #15
Gregg

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...heel-notebook/

3/5/10, 6:49 PM   #16
nowings4me

Get well Joe. I always admired how you always seemed to get the very best out of whatever you were driving. Best wishes to you.

3/5/10, 7:41 PM   #17
aXe

1965 picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I believe that I saw Joe race a Ray Nichels Dodge on the USAC stock car circuit also, if memory serves me correctly.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joe Leonard USAC National Champion