IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jan Opperman passed away 14 years ago 9-4-97
9/7/11, 5:26 PM   #11
treecitytornado

God Speed Jan! Wish I would have got to see you run before it all ended at Jennerstown.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/7/11, 6:40 PM   #12
Re: Jan Opperman passed away 14 years ago 9-4
R A K

I was present as a 12 year old kid the day Jan was critically hurt at the Hoosier Hundred.
A few years later, as a teenager, I was at Eldora Speedway and Jan was there in the Vetzel "Team Jesus" car. As I walked around the front of the haulers, I came upon Jan sitting indian-style on the ground all by himself. It kind of startled me and must have been evident by my reaction. Jan looks at me and smiles and says "hey man I'm doin' a little prayin', you wanna join me?" So I did. I don't remember what he (we) prayed about; truth is, I didn't know too much about prayin' back then.

I remember there were many people who were mocking Jan that evening about his "Jesus sponsorship" ... making fun and all. I remember that their mocking didn't set well with me.
Years later, I would race sprint cars at Eldora Speedway; my top wing had the words "KNOW JESUS" adorn the side boards. I got mocked a little, too.
Looking back, I think I probably learned more sitting on the dirt floor of that pit area at Eldora Speedway that night than any other night at a race track.
I know a lot more about prayin' these days; it has come in handy many, many times.
Thank you, Mr. Opperman.
... and as your dash stated in the Vetzel #31 that night at Eldora ... "Praise the Lord, and pass the competition!"

3 members like this post: speed bump, SPRINTCAR, wideopen24
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jan Opperman passed away 14 years ago 9-4-97