IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 12 tooth for GSXR 1000
11/19/14, 10:12 AM   #11
Re: 12 tooth for GSXR 1000
DAD

Bobby

I think Bob was more or less yanking everybody's chain so to speak.

Remember them old bicycle sprockets with every other tooth missing, we called them "Speed Sprockets" I think?? Only advantage I could figure out is lower friction with fewer teeth.

That 70 year old trick is so High Tec they are selling sprockets made like this to serious 1/4 midget racers Now and they think they are on the cutting edge of technology.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/19/14 at 10:48 AM.

11/19/14, 10:44 AM   #12
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby01 View Post
TQ29M
Are you serious or you just screwing with the guy about grinding off two teeth??
Well, you'll have to admit, you would have a 12 tooth sprocket! Many years ago, when I was hot into go-karts, one of the groups we ran with was SIRA, based out of the Jasper area, and we had a bunch of nice guys, and there were several of us that were kinda on top of the game, so we were very conscious of what each other was doing, we were racing in a little town down along the Ohio Ocean, and the first time there, we got rained out, but before that, we did get to practice, turns out, I was much faster in the class than anyone else, so when we went back, I went with the same setup, gear wise, and I noticed a couple of the guys were just simply ragging their engines, then I saw them, cking out my kart in the pit area, so being friends, I wondered over to talk with them, the questions came, and one of them was my gear ratio, turns out I had on a sprocket that had been miss stamped at the factory, it was marked 78, when it was actually a 73, which was what they had installed, the 78, so they were really screaming their 2-strokes, so it became a game then, fun of course, but we all had a good laugh out of it, so that ended the looking at the number stamped on the sprockets. All in fun, even tho it was just an honest mistake. DAD, we do have gears that will work with 2 different bigger gears, so with 3 gears, you have 4 ratios. You can play with gears, but not sprockets! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/19/14, 10:55 AM   #13
DAD

Bob

Sometime when looking at quick change gear sets it amazes me how the hold up at all, I have seen closer fitting gears at old water powered grist mills.

You should be ashamed of your self getting on here and giving us chain and sprocket type racers un-sound advice on making gear changes.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/19/14 at 10:58 AM.

11/20/14, 9:27 AM   #14
bobby01

Guys the only reason that I said anything is that lots of people including myself look to you two for solid expert advice. And we all know that if it's on the internet it's got to be true. LOL
I'm sure that both of you have been there,done that and have the T-shirt to prove it and that's why we all ask. I also like it when you call out different suppliers out with there 40 horsepower air filters and anything that is just hogwash.
Thanks for all good advice and keep it coming.
Bobby Layne

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 12 tooth for GSXR 1000