IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > any tips for thunder valley for a mini sprint
9/18/11, 11:56 PM   #11
LocalYokel

Your air pressures in the rear tires seem remarkably low. This could possibly contribute to your car wanting to turn left down the straights. If your car is handling decently in the turns, try to get the same amount of stagger with somewhere around 8-10 psi in the RR. Idealy this should help you get the car more stable when going down the straitaways.
You might be able to get away with such a low psi in a sprintcar, but the volume of air in the rear tires on a mini is alot lower. It seems like their isn't anything holding the car up with such low psi...
after reading your posts a bit more throughly you said that under caution the car is all over the place. It really seems like low psi in your rear tires is the problem. During greens the centrifigal force holds the tires up and allows in to handle somewhat bettter. If your tires are more inflated you wouldn't have to rely on the tires expanding to hold up the car. I hope this makes sense. Give it a shot and see what happens...
Last edited by LocalYokel; 9/19/11 at 12:01 AM.

1 member likes this post:
9/19/11, 9:06 AM   #12
thebus79h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvaney View Post
thanks
No problem, and keep me posted, like the other guy said, if you're in the top 5, you're doing well. Anytime you've got questions, always ask. That's one of the biggest mistakes people make is never asking.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/19/11, 9:21 AM   #13
Re: any tips for thunder valley for a mini sp
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalYokel View Post
Your air pressures in the rear tires seem remarkably low. This could possibly contribute to your car wanting to turn left down the straights. If your car is handling decently in the turns, try to get the same amount of stagger with somewhere around 8-10 psi in the RR. Idealy this should help you get the car more stable when going down the straitaways.
You might be able to get away with such a low psi in a sprintcar, but the volume of air in the rear tires on a mini is alot lower. It seems like their isn't anything holding the car up with such low psi...
after reading your posts a bit more throughly you said that under caution the car is all over the place. It really seems like low psi in your rear tires is the problem. During greens the centrifigal force holds the tires up and allows in to handle somewhat bettter. If your tires are more inflated you wouldn't have to rely on the tires expanding to hold up the car. I hope this makes sense. Give it a shot and see what happens...
Yep tire pressures seem low. I'd try with 10 in my r/r and 7 or so in l/r and take it from there. The guys at flemington and reading used to run grooved drag slicks, man when them babys got going a 130 mph or so and that big block spinning them tires up and still excellerating it was insane. gotta love centrifical force.

9/19/11, 2:38 PM   #14
Mulvaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalYokel View Post

i will try this next weekend and we will see what happens. i am just taking info from people at the track and that is where i am getting most of it. i personally have never raced before so i don't have a clue really. i just love racing i have been twice and i'm hooked. racing has to be worse than any drug. i can't get enough, my brain wants more and more i guess i am like ricky bobby " i wanna go fast"

thanks

9/19/11, 9:47 PM   #15
LocalYokel

Let us know how it turns out. My advice would be to befriend whomever built the chassis andpick their brain as much as possible. Almost always a car builder is happy to get their new customer happy and running in the front.
What brand of chassis is it? You could also try to get some help from whomever sold you the car. Be warned though that sometimes the seller of the car might have the best intentions when it comes to advice, but in actuality they may know less than you. The same applies to the message boards. People might be trying their best to help, but not really have any quality advice.
Also, if your in southern Indiana, go talk to the guy who owns Foz chassis. Your gonna need parts sometime along the line, and they make good products. They'll also be more than happy to make sure that their customer is doing well.
Good luck. And lastly, running second without knowing a ton about how to set up a car is pretty increadable! You should be very proud!
Posted via Mobile Device

9/25/11, 10:50 AM   #16
Ambrose93&39

Ok, your bars sound good. If your car is trying to turn right then you've got problems. First, make sure your rear axcel is square, that means no lead, after that you check your front axcel lead by measuring from the back side of the front axcel to the center of the rear axcel on both sides. Some people like to have a little lead with the front axcel, I run straight up, but if you want, no more than 1/4 inch on the right side. Next check your tow in and tow out, 1/8 inch tow out is good but any more than 1/4 inch will make it hard to steer, tow in is bad because it will make the car feel darty and twichy.
Front tire pressure, I run about 9lbs in the right front and 8lbs in the left. It would be a good idea to check the stagger on you fronts because you don't want reverse stagger. No more than a 1/2 inch of stagger though. Play with the pressures and when you get the right size and stagger then all you have to do is make sure the pressures are right before you go out every time. All of this will help you with your problem of turning right. If you're tight center out, yes more rear stagger. I usually start out with 8 or 9lbs in the rr and 3lbs in lr and depending on track conditions let the rr down to 5 or 6lbs and 4+ on lr to get the stagger I prefer for the feature. Stagger wise that's about 6 to 7 inches early and 4 to 5 by feature.(depending on track conditions)

C. Ambrose

9/25/11, 3:34 PM   #17
LocalYokel

Hey Ambrose,
All good advice, but he was saying it wants to turn left down the straight, not right. If its wanting to go right, that's a huge problem. Having the car wanting to turn left, well that's a small problem.

I was also thinking about the original posters issues. Running really now psi's allows the tires to gain pressure during the race as the tires heat up. You can counteract this by doing one of two things, or even doing both. First off is running nitrogen in the tires, nitrogen doesn't react like regular compressed air and will keep the pressues constant. You could also try running bleeders in the wheels to get rid of the built up pressures in the tires and keep the psi constant throughout the race...
Posted via Mobile Device

9/25/11, 3:54 PM   #18
backitin

My car pulls maybe slightly in the straights, which I like. It backs in there nice. Everybody drives different. If my car was to run perfectly straight on the straights it wouldnt be setup for me.

9/25/11, 5:46 PM   #19
DAD

When starting out racing watch the guys that are running out front ask them for help. Most of those people would probably be glad to help get you going. Collin Ambrose is one of those guys when he talks listen. Hope to see you at funfest.
DAD

9/26/11, 9:01 AM   #20
Ambrose93&39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvaney View Post
i am running rr 875 lr 900 rf 875 lf 850 4 psi lr 6 rr 10 lf 12 rf it is really bad under cautions not to bad racing the car i gues momentem pushes it to the outside this was only my second race so i'm still learning but i know since i re blocked the car to a manual i have it handles ten times better biggest prob was the tightness in the middle of the turns i just had to feather the throttle to much to get it to turn left to keep up my speed in the turn
Sounds like trying to turn right to me. That's what he said it this clip.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > any tips for thunder valley for a mini sprint