IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > kokomo track
7/9/11, 6:36 PM   #11
Re: kokomo track
Tim Watson

I remember hearing a few years back that the calcium chloride thing was against the law. What is the reason it can't be used on a track?

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/9/11, 6:52 PM   #12
old timer

I think it contimates the soil but wait it comes from the earth as salt oh well what can we do?????

7/9/11, 6:55 PM   #13
Tim Watson

If it harms the soil i wonder what it does to our insides (guts). I work in a cheese packaging factory and some of the mozzarella we use has calciulm chloride right on the ingredients label.

7/9/11, 7:25 PM   #14
old timer

Well Tim just don't use it on your lawn or for heavens sake a dirt track!

7/9/11, 7:33 PM   #15
ISF

Don't they use a mixture of calcium chloride in the road salt used in the winter to ruin the roads and rust our vehicles and sometimes melt the snow and ice? If this is so why can they get away with that but it is against the law to use it on a dirt race track?

7/9/11, 9:25 PM   #16
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Calium chloride is extremely hygroscopic. They use it on roads because it absorbs moisture. The dust clings to the water instead of flying up in the air.

This was the basis behind using it on a dirt track. It works great on dirt IF it is completely saturated as calcium chloride hexahydrate. If not, it will draw moisture out of the clay and into the lattice. Then the clay gets dry and hard. The other problem is that CaCl2 mixed with water is an exothermic reaction. The heat will drive off some of the water.
I don't see how it's illegal since they use it during the winter on roads to prevent icing. Maybe it's illegal for anyone but the gov't to use
Posted using Mobile Device

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Need For Speed
7/9/11, 11:07 PM   #17
RadRacer

I said in another post a semi truck drives to Indy from Il ,I dont think he brought water. I know the driver when I see him I will find out.

7/9/11, 11:47 PM   #18
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoPA View Post
Calium chloride is extremely hygroscopic. They use it on roads because it absorbs moisture. The dust clings to the water instead of flying up in the air.

This was the basis behind using it on a dirt track. It works great on dirt IF it is completely saturated as calcium chloride hexahydrate. If not, it will draw moisture out of the clay and into the lattice. Then the clay gets dry and hard. The other problem is that CaCl2 mixed with water is an exothermic reaction. The heat will drive off some of the water.
I don't see how it's illegal since they use it during the winter on roads to prevent icing. Maybe it's illegal for anyone but the gov't to use
Posted using Mobile Device
I think it does the same thing to the mozzarella cheese that we package. It draws the moisture out of the cheese to make it stronger or harder in body and therefore makes it easier to shred and package than a softer type cheese. Whatever it does it sure melts nice and makes one helluva nice topping on a pizza.

7/10/11, 12:05 AM   #19
Knoke77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRacer07 View Post
Raced a TQ there (several years ago, mid 90's) and flipped out on the 3rd or 4th lap (thanks to knoke77 :2 of the feature. Stood with suite tied at my waist & shirtless to watch the rest of the feature...long story short, broke out in rash (all exposed skin area) that required a trip to the hospital to clear it up.

Returned several times with no ill effects, not sure what was different on that one night.

Enjoy the show folks!!!! Wish I were there. Will be at da 'burg!!!
Never going to let me live that down are you!!! I wonder if I have that on tape somewhere. May have to dig that one up and relive the memories. Except the part where your wife yelled at me.. :P

7/10/11, 3:45 AM   #20
T&A Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
If it harms the soil i wonder what it does to our insides (guts). I work in a cheese packaging factory and some of the mozzarella we use has calciulm chloride right on the ingredients label.
Tim/WI/Cheese... there's you sign!

Anyway, I thought they used a derivative of agent orange.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > kokomo track