IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
PJ Wright (Offline)
  #11 3/21/22 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by kinser:
It’s not backwards. The lefts have been higher for a long time
Like bikinis: the less material, the more $$$. Or so I've been told.😆

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
11 Likes: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, dwhitney1169, Hustlin-Hoosier, jonboat15, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, motorhead748, racenut69, Rcar, tirespinner
racenut69 (Offline)
  #12 3/21/22 5:09 PM
Originally Posted by pj wright:
like bikinis: The less material, the more $$$. Or so i've been told.😆

There is always room for one more in the corner! I'm disguised as a responsible adult!...
Michael Carter....
2 Likes: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
Go Fast (Offline)
  #13 3/21/22 7:02 PM
LRs have been higher since they went to the spec RR. Lowered the RR price since that is what you have to run. Started at $215 each and once all the tracks were on the rule the price started going up.

Gary Ooley

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!
6 Likes: jdull99, jonboat15, oppweld, rick42, spicoli, tirespinner
Whit11B (Offline)
  #14 3/22/22 9:13 AM
Economy of scale. They produce mostly medium and H's for right rears. Left rears they have to produce H, RD, D, wing/nonwing etc in a bunch of different sizes. Stopping production to change over machines also adds to the cost.

Not sure where things will end up because the truck assembly plants I work in still run into part and employee shortages. I can see everything continuing to inflate in price or have low inventory.
2 Likes: jdull99, tirespinner
TBarks (Offline)
  #15 3/22/22 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Whit11B:
Economy of scale. They produce mostly medium and H's for right rears. Left rears they have to produce H, RD, D, wing/nonwing etc in a bunch of different sizes. Stopping production to change over machines also adds to the cost.
I've never understood why all series can't run the same tires. I'd think that would lower the cost of production and in turn retail prices. It would also allow more used tire sales to lower budget teams. Is there any real reason nonwing needs to run different tires than wing? 305, 360, 410? Currently it's a pain in the rear for teams that run different series. You have to have different tires for each. I'd be happy with a medium RR and D15 LR for all.

Fender cars are even worse I think.
4 Likes: jdull99, Oleman61x, PIT CART, tirespinner
jonboat15 (Offline)
  #16 3/22/22 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by TBarks:
I've never understood why all series can't run the same tires. I'd think that would lower the cost of production and in turn retail prices. It would also allow more used tire sales to lower budget teams. Is there any real reason nonwing needs to run different tires than wing? 305, 360, 410? Currently it's a pain in the rear for teams that run different series. You have to have different tires for each. I'd be happy with a medium RR and D15 LR for all.

Fender cars are even worse I think.
Excuse my ignorance but what would be the difference between non wing vs. a winged car tire, vs. a 305 tire, etc... Is it just compounds or different sizes or both? Seems like its been the Hoosier way or the highway for quite some time now.
2 Likes: PIT CART, tirespinner
Go Fast (Offline)
  #17 3/22/22 12:39 PM
Carcass construction is different on the LR tires for wing vs non-wing. Fronts are the same. Was told by Hoosier the Medium used in USAC is the same as the ASCS Medium just without the ASCS markings. Haven’t ran wing is decades so can’t attest to the validity of that.

Gary Ooley

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, jonboat15, sjracer26, tirespinner
spankytoo (Offline)
  #18 3/22/22 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by jonboat15:
Excuse my ignorance but what would be the difference between non wing vs. a winged car tire, vs. a 305 tire, etc... Is it just compounds or different sizes or both? Seems like its been the Hoosier way or the highway for quite some time now.
Wing left rears are belted while non wing tires are not. Therefore when you see the car get on the gas, the non wing tire is going to expand more than the wing tire. Essentially giving the car less stagger (measured as the difference between the circumference of the left rear and right rear tires).

Wing cars require quite a bit more stagger between the LR and RR tires than non wing cars do. This is largely because of the wing giving the car all of this left rear drive that non wing cars don't have.

Ultimately, it's not really possible for us to share left rears without either wing or non wing suffering.

If you look in your mirror and see a line of cars behind you, be kind and pull over.
7 Likes: Hustlin-Hoosier, jonboat15, Pitdad, rick42, sjracer26, tirespinner, TQ29m