IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/11/08, 10:52 AM   #181
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
thebus79h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
I also want to say I have the utmost repect for Dave Darland and Levi Jones in particular..Everyone has to do what they think is best. I really did not get a chance to see who was all FOR or against running....It was done in a secret meeting without notifying me or my race director while we were fixing problems...then they quickly headed for the exits. Leaving me stuck with an angry group of USAC fans...who I refunded $$ to.
And that sir is why I believe how it happened was wrong. I remember walking to the grandstands, and Josh Ford passing saying it's done, and he was loading his stuff up and going home, and as I walked up there, not a minute later, Tracy Hines was already in his truck leaving, along with a few others. That never should have happened, because it made you look like the bad guy, when you had nothing to do with it. Just out of curiosity though, I would like to see who voted to race, and who didn't. I heard it was only a couple people that started the whole thing, and instigated the whole thing to happen anyway.

8/11/08, 12:50 PM   #182
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Kasey Kahne absolutely killed the water truck at Bloomington, Is Bloomington unsafe?

I cant believe this thread is at 19 pages...lol

8/11/08, 1:29 PM   #183
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Kasey Kahne absolutely killed the water truck at Bloomington, Is Bloomington unsafe?

I cant believe this thread is at 19 pages...lol
That's better than the water truck absolutely killing Kasey.:thumb

8/11/08, 1:49 PM   #184
randyrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
...All I'm saying is that if we are going to go through this scrutiny at every track, then all of them are unsafe. Racing is not safe. You can get hurt wherever you go ...All of it is dangerous... Racing is a dangerous activity, and will always be
Look at the safety advances that have been made in all forms of racing over the past 40 years. Many have trickled down to the racing at local tracks. If the above attitude had prevailed, none of those advances would have taken place.
It doesn't take that much planning, effort or expense to park track & spectator vehicles where they're not a potential hazard, or to remove other potential obstacles in a clear zone - that's just basic management of a business or operation. It's done at small podunk airports everywhere.
There should be scrutiny at every track & it should be initiated by the track operator. Stop making excuses. Use some common sense, address the obvious hazards & stop waiting for someone to make you do it or for a mishap to force it.

8/11/08, 2:32 PM   #185

they did move the cars. peeple were just parking where ever they could. The track did not prepair for that many spectators to show up. Put what ever spin you want to put on things. No driver or driver reps are saying what they did not like. I talked with Tony main at gas city. He ran a sprinter that night. He said he was concerned about the footer at the bottom of the wall, but like he said "if your close enough to hit the footer you were going to hit the wall anyway." He said the patch work that they did fixed the situation. His last comment was, "its like a rut in the track. You know where it is and to not hit it." He will be back for the mscs race.

8/11/08, 4:31 PM   #186
Dano959

What difference does it make who voted which way? To seperate the "pansies" from the "real" racers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
That said, one could easily misinterpret a majority of the “those who stayed” comments as “they” put their lives in danger staying to race. Which in my personal opinion, is far from the truth. When asked, those that stayed, stayed to race because they felt the track was safe to race on. This has been stated repeatedly, and publicly. Yet people choose to misconstrue the reality side of things, thus twisting reality into fiction, for the only reason to fit ones protective agendas, supporting only USAC in this horrible debacle. Being adults here, that’s just not a reasonable or rational way to evaluate this debacle. Therefore a few of us feel it is necessary to speak positive about the other side, stating facts.
I wasn't there, so I have no idea whether or not the track was "safe", BUT I do know that all drivers are risking their lives everytime they strap in and fire the car off...... "safe" track or not. That said, there is absolutely NO reason to increase those risks. This is a personal decision that each driver needs to make for themselves, and one that they do not need to answer to anybody but themselves for.

8/11/08, 4:43 PM   #187
Dano959

Oh, and just because nothing happened, that doesn't mean that a track is "safe". A fairly large percentage of injurious accidents are of the "freak" variety........

8/11/08, 4:52 PM   #188
Dwight Clock

We can argue about this forever. I, and many others, have made our positions clear on the party or parties that should hold blame for this. But, as stated by Rob Hoffman so well, it is time to discuss ways to make sure this never happens again. The discussion starts at Kelly's tonight. See you there.

8/11/08, 5:22 PM   #189
randyrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
they did move the cars. peeple were just parking where ever they could. The track did not prepair for that many spectators to show up.
...& that's USAC's fault? Cordon off the clear zone before the track opens. If that doesn't leave sufficient parking for the anticipated crowd, don't schedule that big an event at your track. Sounds like RaceTrackOps 101.

8/11/08, 6:13 PM   #190

track screwed up, then fixed it. No the parking was not usacs fault never said it was. I ASK AGAIN WHAT WAS UNSAFE????? nobody has stated anything that the track did not fix. i guess we will see if D.O. can get an aswer. I agree with everyone about this is over. So now i am asking the drivers what needs to be fixed?

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week