IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Roy Bleckert (Offline)
  #121 1/16/15 4:19 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
Roy

For an old guy you think pretty clearly. For the life of me I can not see why anyone would want to take a modern high performance engine and retrofit an antique 1950 era fuel injection system to it. The story I get is it gives us better acceleration, OK, I could spend a little more and get a Motec ecm that would give me a little more room for the acceleration pump adjustment and fix that, and I still would not be filling my crankcase up with extra methanol the rest of the time that I was motoring around the race track.

There is a whole lot less voodoo involved racing with an electronics injection system than choosing the right pills as the night goes on. IT IS JUST MUCH MORE EFFICIENT DOING IT'S JOB !!!!! NO EXTRA POWER JUST MORE CONSISTENT POWER!!!!

There is a small learning curve when learning how to program. Programing should be the job of your Motor builder after you get it right it stays right until a sensor give up on you. We might even develop a cottage industry of guys writing and selling maps for different applications.

Honest Dad himself
DAD - all the above issues are easily dealt with in today's market , all that needs to happen is just let it happen & you & others may be surprised how it will all shake out in the wash !
Will Shunk (Offline)
  #122 1/16/15 5:58 PM
Originally Posted by 7xCoop:
Midgets don't have starters.
And they don't have any race fans under 40!
racer5c (Offline)
  #123 1/17/15 12:11 AM
Brad Kuhn is right on the money, this is about ten years later than it should have been though, I hope this saves midget racing
2 Likes: DaveP63, dirtball
DAD (Offline)
  #124 1/17/15 11:17 AM
OK

The Hot setup now is drifting??? What the heck is cool about drifting. Every time it snowed I would go out and find a parking lot and practice drifting, that was in 1959 I have always been a head of the times. You did have to remember which lots had the those darned parking bumpers in them however, and the crowds weren't too large either. Sometimes I had to go out and generate a crowd to get me off of those darned bumpers.

Brad said Manufacture name recognition, Ok. He said action nothing with more action than a car half hidden in tire smoke going sideways down the straight front stretch, unless it's a NASCAR driver showing off after winning a race and leaving the very last bit of what is left of his motor and tires out on the race track.

We are in agreement that the Modern four valve small automotive engine could save Midget racing. That's great now we have cars and drivers filling up the pits. How the heck do we fill up the grand stands with computer literate young people.

1. Everybody agrees young people like to watch action even if they aren't too awfully enthused about being active them selves. As an old man I cant think of anything less active than as race on a 1/2 mile and larger race track, sure if a couple of cars get tangled up it is scary for about 2 seconds but for the most parts that is boring racing. Big race tracks are for the astute race fan, you know the ones that take notice to every small nuance of every small event that takes place on the race track, not your casual fan, but the kind that reads and responds in IOW.

2. The PowrI big advantage over USAC has been it's tiny little race tracks for the most part located somewhere out in the sticks far far away from major city's and their massive amounts of entertainment possibility's for the general public. They are the only show in town for miles around. Folks in the sticks like something to do on weekends also. If you are it you get their niche business. A substantial business in a small market beats no business in a large market.

3. Most people don't like race track with long boring straightaway's the action is in the turns so keep the turns as close together as you can. Build a smaller track inside of the big one, make it wide with maybe the inside grove almost flat, put a berm inside of it for the races to ride on, as you move out on the track increase the banking, make it a little track but make it wide, wide to heck with three wide racing lets make it 5 wide racing.

4. I guess track owners like the bigger track because they better fit the large sedans that they are used to racing on them. The old sedans with their 2.97 rear ends just put in in second and stepped on the gas. Well times are changing them sedans are getting dates with crushers and are disappearing from the scene very rapidly. Just like the Focus and Echotec Midgets those are the popular race car of the future, and they don't perform well on big old race tracks either.

5. Car owners and drivers can probably build back their numbers with simpler rules with an eye to keeping cost down not with rules that never work but guidelines to keep the racers in line. Keep options of handicapping the hot dogs open and keep weight and tire requirements to sensible limits. It it requires unobtanium to make weight then raise the weight limit. The budget racer is handicapped with these not so very logical weight limits. In midgets do you make a 250 pound driver look for another class to race in and keep the Midget Class only for the Jockeys among us?

6. If racing is going to come back it will take the racers and track operators working together to do it.

In Kentucky our state motto is "United We Stand Divided We Fall" think about it.

Honest Dad himself
7xCoop (Offline)
  #125 1/17/15 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Will Shunk:
And they don't have any race fans under 40!
I'm not close to 40 yet, but grew up racing and watching Thursday night thunder. If you want something with a starter buy a Legends car or something else with fenders.
3 Likes: DAD, dirtball, PatrickMead#13
DAD (Offline)
  #126 1/17/15 1:03 PM
Coop

It has something to do with attention span. Back when I was a kid we would sit around all day just to watch paint dry. Now days they have quick drying paint and quick everything else so the "X" generation has no attention span at all. They might forget why they came to the race track if it takes too long to get the race going.

Honest Dad himself
DAD (Offline)
  #127 1/18/15 10:43 AM
OK

I have a BIG question to ask. Who were the top finishing Focus>EchoTec>Honda> or alternate power plant powered Midgets this year at the Chili Bowl Nationals? The Nights best finish Race,the Saturday Main letter, and finish position.

Honest Dad himself
red70racer (Offline)
  #128 1/18/15 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by DAD:
OK

I have a BIG question to ask. Who were the top finishing Focus>EchoTec>Honda> or alternate power plant powered Midgets this year at the Chili Bowl Nationals? The Nights best finish Race,the Saturday Main letter, and finish position.

Honest Dad himself
I've got Rusty Dukes 4th in C with a bone stock 10 degree layover Ecotec
5 Likes: 7xCoop, DAD, gearguy, Roy Bleckert, Wayne Davis
DAD (Offline)
  #129 1/18/15 12:00 PM
Rusty

Air is pretty rare up there, you outperformed 250+ cars with an affordable engine package.

By the way you are banned from "Du Quoin Race for the Golden Pumper">>>>NOT!!!!! We sure hope to see you there.

Honest Dad himself
2 Likes: gearguy, Roy Bleckert
DAD (Offline)
  #130 1/18/15 2:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kellen Conover:
I don't mean to sound silly, but doesn't putting a $1500.00 head on a junkyard bottom end seem a little crazy? Again I've never had my hands on one of these style motors so I don't know.
Kellen

I think Stock blocks are the mini sprints of the future. Ride over to Du Quoin and check them out. It would be good to see you.

Bill
3 Likes: Avon Open Wheel fan, Kellen Conover, Roy Bleckert