IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > cry baby racing staring clauson and jones!!
10/6/09, 7:18 PM   #111
Re: cry baby racing staring clauson and jones!!
Sprint63122

Here is one more thing to think about after Stewart won the nascrap race sunday he went on to Knoxville that night and took a provisional and started LAST in the feature and raced his way up to a seventh place finish place.Wonder what would have happened if his other sprinter had drawn in the back of his heat race to would they then both have loaded up and not ran.Will say Mr. Moore is spot on with his last answer on here with no fans there is no racing and I hope this is not the start of something bigger where they all start crying over there starting position.

10/6/09, 7:56 PM   #112
EldoraMark

I’ve been reading these post the last few days, saying to myself don’t
get involve. Than I was awaking this morning by my radio. The news man
said we lost 8 of our young service men over the weekend fighting for our
country. Here we our bickering over two drivers who did not want to race.
Think what the families and friends of these service men are going through.
Could you imaging what there comment would be if you were to tell them
what you are complaining about. It seems so insignificant.
Couldn’t we all utilize our time better? Maybe for starters, praying for the families
of these service men. Or posting positive things.
Kevin Briscoe and Jerry Shaw hit the nail on the head about posting positive.

Mark Fritz

5 members like this post: Dave Rudisell, Jerry Shaw, Panama, PJ Wright, TQ29m
10/6/09, 7:59 PM   #113
BrentTFunk

I have been watching this thread, and I wasn't going to comment,but what the heck. I have attended over 50 races this year. I usually do not attend too many MSCS races because I do not care for the format they use. This is not meant to be a slam at them, it just is a preference for me. They seem to be doing OK without me. After attending my last MSCS at Danville I had not been to one since. I felt since Mr. Rudisell was taking a chance to pay that kind of money, that I would support both shows. I saw good shows both nights and truly have no complaints.

I fully understand the business decision made by the teams, but I sure hope it does not catch on with everyone. For example, when I arrived at Winchester Sunday I was running late and got there after hot laps. The first thing I noticed on a cold and windy day was there were very few people in the stands. I know a promoter could take a huge bath financially fom a deal like that, and I was pleased Mr Shaw did not pull the plug, because he was afraid he would lose money. Fortunately more people arrived after I did and hopefully they did all right.

In hindsight it would have been better if Levi and Bryan would have not shown up at all. What they have basically done is take the heat off the MSCS format and put it directly on themselves. Then again it is easy to make the right decision 4 days later. Hope to see everyone at Granite City.

10/6/09, 10:00 PM   #114
maradamx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
The most important person at a race is the FAN!!!!! Without the FAN, you have nothing. Without RACE FANS, there would be no races unless everybody pays to race and there is no return. Now, a very interesting observation regarding those who have posted in this thread and have supported the actions of the two teams that vacated the track after the practice/pill draw: VERY FEW MENTION ANYTHING TO DO WHATSOEVER WITH THE RACE FAN. It's all about this driver, a business decision, a race team and people dreaming up all kinds of scenarios to make this deal sound politically correct. This is the almighty ME society coming through loud and clear with no respect for the RACE FAN.

I will say one thing as an owner that HIRES drivers to race: Not in my wildest dreams would I ever, ever, ever suggest to a hired driver who has come to the track to race one of my cars that we load up after having presented ourselves to the public at a race track. Whe you come to a race track... deal with it.

I have been fortunate to have some of the best midget drivers in the business drive my cars and I cannot envision any of them suggesting that we load up and go home. If you show up at the track and present yourself to the public as part of the entertainment, IMO, you have an obligation to complete your part as an entertainer and deal with the circumstances that are presented to you.
Don:

I wholeheartedly agree. See my post on the previous page - I bring up the point about fans being the odd ones out.

10/6/09, 10:20 PM   #115
JBX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetmaniac View Post
You wouldn't be talking about the mighty USAC would you That is what burns me up about them. Absolutely no emphasis on heats. Blow them off , start in the front of the B win it and get your qualifying time back and start in front again. I say you only get your time back if you transfer through your heat. If you run the B you start in the back.

Amen, brother. Those rules were developed in the 70's. It's time to get with the times IMO.
The real kicker is what do the FANS think of watching heat races...and, qualifying for that matter.
I bet you'd be surprised. Fans know when racers are coasting through their heats.

I'm starting to like the pill draw plus passing points more & more personally.
Just my 2-cents.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
Anyone watched a USAC sprint week heat race lately?? qualifying good and starting row 4 with a stacked heat is a pretty touch assignment, so as a driver, its nice to be rewarded in the B for a good qualifying effort. I know everyone sitting in the stands would love to see Jones, Stanbrough, Darland, Coons, etc all start 20th thru 24th to put on a show, I would too, but from a drivers side, it is nice to be rewarded for laying down a good lap. Just like it SHOULD be rewarded for a 8th to 3rd run in a heat race with the draw format. I am all for qualifying, but if we draw the Sprint Bandit format is hands down the best. Going to Bloomington with 70 plus cars, and drawing inside row 6 for a heat, and taking 2!!Makes it fun for the fans, not so much for the drivers. There are going to be alot of winning drivers going home because of a bad draw, and guys make the show that probly shouldnt..

You raise a VERY good point. Okay, what about meeting half-way?
Wouldn't it be cool to decide by coin flip for standard qualifying vs. pill-draw w/passing points?
And, this be decided w/the sanctioning body & track promoter by that coin flip & communicated at pit sign-in?

Would this be too radical or extreme?
Let the feedback fly!

Jimmy B.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
I’ve been reading these post the last few days, saying to myself don’t
get involve. Than I was awaking this morning by my radio. The news man
said we lost 8 of our young service men over the weekend fighting for our
country. Here we our bickering over two drivers who did not want to race.
Think what the families and friends of these service men are going through.
Could you imaging what there comment would be if you were to tell them
what you are complaining about. It seems so insignificant.
Couldn’t we all utilize our time better? Maybe for starters, praying for the families
of these service men. Or posting positive things.
Kevin Briscoe and Jerry Shaw hit the nail on the head about posting positive.

Mark Fritz

Mark -- You are absolutely right about supporting our troops. I am a Air Nat'l Guard retiree w/20 yrs of service and completely understand the level of sacrifice of these brave, selfless men & women. They deserve our thoughts, prayers, and respect.

You mention the word "insignificant". Maybe. Hopefully, we are all smart enough to filter out "insignificant" vs. "constructive" and "passionate".

Thanks for posting your reply,
Jimmy B.

10/6/09, 11:25 PM   #116
mortboyz

A short $.02 here.....I don't believe I've ever seen anyone "coast" through a USAC heat race.....

10/7/09, 12:55 AM   #117
Sprint63122

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortboyz View Post
A short $.02 here.....I don't believe I've ever seen anyone "coast" through a USAC heat race.....
There have been some great coasting or better yet, lets call it stroking the system during the last couple years of usac sprintweek.

10/7/09, 1:10 AM   #118
cshuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint63122 View Post
There have been some great coasting or better yet, lets call it stroking the system during the last couple years of usac sprintweek.
Ha...so going out and laying down a top 10 qualifying effort, then not taking any real dumb chances in a heat is coasting? Believe it or not, if and when I have qualified in the top 10 at a sprint week show, I still REALLY want to get through the heat, BUT, I am not going to make a dumb move, or force an issue when I know I have a pretty good starting spot in the B. That being said, B mains at sprint week are like A mains most nights, so you still have to race your ass of in the B, not exactly a walk in the park. So instead of saying a guy is coasting, why dont you think of it this way, he is being smart, he is trying to put himself in the best position possible to get the best finish possible, and sometimes making the most money he can to put food on the table?

3 members like this post: duel, Eagle14, Fred Zirzow
10/7/09, 1:25 AM   #119
Sprint63122

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
Ha...so going out and laying down a top 10 qualifying effort, then not taking any real dumb chances in a heat is coasting? Believe it or not, if and when I have qualified in the top 10 at a sprint week show, I still REALLY want to get through the heat, BUT, I am not going to make a dumb move, or force an issue when I know I have a pretty good starting spot in the B. That being said, B mains at sprint week are like A mains most nights, so you still have to race your ass of in the B, not exactly a walk in the park. So instead of saying a guy is coasting, why dont you think of it this way, he is being smart, he is trying to put himself in the best position possible to get the best finish possible, and sometimes making the most money he can to put food on the table?
That answer right there is why they need to change and run the sprint bandit format for every race they do, then nobody can race that way.

10/7/09, 1:36 AM   #120
cshuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint63122 View Post
That answer right there is why they need to change and run the sprint bandit format for every race they do, then nobody can race that way.
Hey I love the sprint bandit format... But racing "that way" or racing smart is not a bad thing, sorry but if u are one of those fans that love to see guys drive like idiots and fling front axles and radiators all over the track, maybe you should go watch a demo derby or something... If you havent spent the night in the hospital, or paid the bills to repair a car after a wreck, you really just dont understand.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > cry baby racing staring clauson and jones!!