IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
PushEm! (Offline)
  #111 6/28/11 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by mikeham73:
I agree we need some Sunday night racing around here. Haubstadt and Kokomo are on the extreme ends of the state. However, I would like to see either Paragon or LPS run Sundays. Both have great crowds. Both are already drawing over 30 cars on Saturday nights and they're less than and hour apart. I think they would both benefit if one went to Sundays.
Posted using Mobile Device
I doubt you will see that happen. Since the two tracks are close together if one rains out they all go to the other one. I have seen that many times. I also don't think you would draw a big car count at either track if they did that. Just my two cents:2:.
fish (Offline)
  #112 6/28/11 1:14 AM
Originally Posted by r a k:
how about for starters ... Everybody pays to get in the joint. Know matter if you are carrying a steering wheel, toolbox, camera, pen & paper, etc.
I have stood at the pit shack recently to buy my pit pass as a car owner, and seen the "get in free" list at two different race tracks ... It looked like santa's naughty or nice list.
I have often wondered ... What is the insurance deal if one of these folks gets up-ended ...?
Just a lil food-for-thought suggestion
reeserx (Online)
  #113 6/28/11 1:53 AM
This is just my two cents... I don't agree with the decision to pull hot laps like that...I go to Kokomo just about every Sunday and the pit boss was hollering for wheel pack which is my time to go in when I hear that, that was at around 5:45 I do believe...to leave simply because you don't get to run hotlaps seems kinda dumb to me if you made the long haul to kokomo, I was really looking forward to see Gardner run too, but it's not my money or my car so my opinion doesn't matter.. The o'Conner family is a class act and its sad to see them getting thrown under the bus for one bad decision, just a couple weeks ago we were all just talking about how lucky we are to have the o conners...I'm sad to see that the Hoffmans won't be back to Kokomo unless it's sprint week, but oh well I'm glad with the drivers we got on a weekly basis

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

This is just my two cents... I don't agree with the decision to pull hot laps like that...I go to Kokomo just about every Sunday and the pit boss was hollering for wheel pack which is my time to go in when I hear that, that was at around 5:45 I do believe...to leave simply because you don't get to run hotlaps seems kinda dumb to me if you made the long haul to kokomo, I was really looking forward to see Gardner run too, but it's not my money or my car so my opinion doesn't matter.. The o'Conner family is a class act and its sad to see them getting thrown under the bus for one bad decision, just a couple weeks ago we were all just talking about how lucky we are to have the o conners...I'm sad to see that the Hoffmans won't be back to Kokomo unless it's sprint week, but oh well I'm glad with the drivers we got on a weekly basis, again this is just my opinion and know I probably will get tore up like everytime I post lol
Russ (Offline)
  #114 6/28/11 2:17 AM
Originally Posted by Racerrob:
We pushed back from the trailer at exactly 5:51. I know this because there is a clock in the trailer that I just happened to look at as the pit PA announcer was going nuts. They made the decision to cancel hot laps as we were rolling back to the 4 wheeler to push up to the push off lane.

I know for a fact that Keith Bloom was in the push off lane well before that and a second car (I can't recall who) was joining him right when they canceled.

I will have to call out the KISS official - since the driver's meeting occurred at 5:30 and if they made the first call 27 minutes before they canceled hot laps per the KISS official, they would have had to made the first call at 5:24, 6 minutes before the driver's meeting started.

Perhaps Derek Fisher should ask the KISS official that stood in his kitchen how or why the PA announcer would call for the sprint cars to wheel pack before they had their driver's meeting. Or perhaps he should take the time to ascertain the facts and following the logic flow down the proverbial river before lambasting others for "asinine opinions".

As for his statement that I should know what my car will do in the first turn, I would like him to know that I have made MAJOR changes to the car over the last 3 weeks and the set-up data that I have collected for the last 8 years with this type of chassis no longer applies. I truly did not know if the car would turn over or slide right into Dave Darland (who started outside of us) when Daron set it into the first corner. In view of this information, he may want to reconsider what qualifies as an "asinine opinion".

To the best of my knowledge the O'Conners have done a tremendous job overall with Kokomo and I wish them well. I just won't be back for any show (other than Indiana Sprint Week) until I hear things have changed in the way competitors are treated.

Rob Hoffman
Just so you know, Derek Fisher is a shill for the Kokomo Speedway. I'm not sure if he is a real employee or not, but he does or did the weekly write ups on the Kokomo Speedway website.

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

Originally Posted by reeserx:
This is just my two cents... I don't agree with the decision to pull hot laps like that...I go to Kokomo just about every Sunday and the pit boss was hollering for wheel pack which is my time to go in when I hear that, that was at around 5:45 I do believe...to leave simply because you don't get to run hotlaps seems kinda dumb to me if you made the long haul to kokomo, I was really looking forward to see Gardner run too, but it's not my money or my car so my opinion doesn't matter.. The o'Conner family is a class act and its sad to see them getting thrown under the bus for one bad decision, just a couple weeks ago we were all just talking about how lucky we are to have the o conners...I'm sad to see that the Hoffmans won't be back to Kokomo unless it's sprint week, but oh well I'm glad with the drivers we got on a weekly basis

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

This is just my two cents... I don't agree with the decision to pull hot laps like that...I go to Kokomo just about every Sunday and the pit boss was hollering for wheel pack which is my time to go in when I hear that, that was at around 5:45 I do believe...to leave simply because you don't get to run hotlaps seems kinda dumb to me if you made the long haul to kokomo, I was really looking forward to see Gardner run too, but it's not my money or my car so my opinion doesn't matter.. The o'Conner family is a class act and its sad to see them getting thrown under the bus for one bad decision, just a couple weeks ago we were all just talking about how lucky we are to have the o conners...I'm sad to see that the Hoffmans won't be back to Kokomo unless it's sprint week, but oh well I'm glad with the drivers we got on a weekly basis, again this is just my opinion and know I probably will get tore up like everytime I post lol
There is nothing classy about the O'Connors. I know several people who have been cussed out by the old man in charge, myself included. My transgression was having my blanket taped down on the top row of the main grandstand.
reeserx (Online)
  #115 6/28/11 2:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Russ, I myself personally have not had any problems with them..
fish (Offline)
  #116 6/28/11 3:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mud Packer:
This is post #109 on this thread with over 12,000 views and it is still going. Amazing that something so minute as hot laps for sprint cars, or lack thereof, could produce these types of numbers. I suppose that I have much more in my life that is important than this. I would suggest a reality check might be in order.
We can agree on that.

I've expressed my growing dislike of some of the stuff on auto racing message boards recently and threads such as this one and the "not kid friendly" one are pretty good examples as to why.

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to promote a race track.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer, PJ Wright, racefan20, racerfanx2
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #117 6/28/11 7:15 AM

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: 3Cfan, mikeham73
Derek Fisher (Offline)
  #118 6/28/11 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Racerrob:
We pushed back from the trailer at exactly 5:51. I know this because there is a clock in the trailer that I just happened to look at as the pit PA announcer was going nuts. They made the decision to cancel hot laps as we were rolling back to the 4 wheeler to push up to the push off lane.

I know for a fact that Keith Bloom was in the push off lane well before that and a second car (I can't recall who) was joining him right when they canceled.

I will have to call out the KISS official - since the driver's meeting occurred at 5:30 and if they made the first call 27 minutes before they canceled hot laps per the KISS official, they would have had to made the first call at 5:24, 6 minutes before the driver's meeting started.

Perhaps Derek Fisher should ask the KISS official that stood in his kitchen how or why the PA announcer would call for the sprint cars to wheel pack before they had their driver's meeting. Or perhaps he should take the time to ascertain the facts and following the logic flow down the proverbial river before lambasting others for "asinine opinions".

As for his statement that I should know what my car will do in the first turn, I would like him to know that I have made MAJOR changes to the car over the last 3 weeks and the set-up data that I have collected for the last 8 years with this type of chassis no longer applies. I truly did not know if the car would turn over or slide right into Dave Darland (who started outside of us) when Daron set it into the first corner. In view of this information, he may want to reconsider what qualifies as an "asinine opinion".

To the best of my knowledge the O'Conners have done a tremendous job overall with Kokomo and I wish them well. I just won't be back for any show (other than Indiana Sprint Week) until I hear things have changed in the way competitors are treated.

Rob Hoffman
Hearing "27 minutes" from the horse's mouth and talking to a Kokomo official after the show who basically confirmed that number were enough facts for me, Rob -- please don't attempt to lump me in with the many other folks on this board who consistently spout off with absolutely no grasp of the situation. And, the fact remains that something had to be askew for the powers that be to cancel hot laps... So whether HAR was an offending party or not, someone was.

And you've been around this game a looong time, so let's stop playing the victim about going into the heat race with no practice. You're good enough at what you do that it looked like you had the car pretty close -- you did make the show, after all. Let's not exaggerate the situation in the interest of sympathy votes.

[QUOTE=Russ;236318]Just so you know, Derek Fisher is a shill for the Kokomo Speedway. I'm not sure if he is a real employee or not, but he does or did the weekly write ups on the Kokomo Speedway website.[COLOR="Black"]

Sorry Russ, wrong again. I'm a paying customer, just like everyone else. I've got nothing to gain by taking Kokomo's side in this one, and nothing to lose by taking the other side if I chose to. It's really no surprise that you'd take the latter of the two sides I just mentioned in this argument, though -- I can't recall one single positive post about the new Kokomo Speedway by you. Nearly everyone else but you, it seems, sees the good the O'Connors have done. Maybe it's time to stop being bitter.
Shawn (Offline)
  #119 6/28/11 1:18 PM
<---Chuck <---Me
racefan20 (Offline)
  #120 6/28/11 1:33 PM

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Closed Thread